main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Vader Down (One-Shot) (Vader Down, part 1 of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rebel-Jedi, Jul 11, 2015.

1. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    It's a win-win with Aphra. Either she lives and we continue to get a great character well into the future, or she dies and we know that LFL is willing to allow popular characters to be killed off if the story demands it.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just remember: What one writer at Marvel can do, another can un-do!

Barriss_Coffee and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Full covers for issue #1 of Vader Down, and issue #2 of Vader Down/issue #13 of Darth Vader (out in November)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ewok Poet, Ulicus , Jedi Ben and 4 others like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I wouldn't start up the Aphra death watch clock until we know if/when Gillen is leaving the book. But Marvel is also very good at resurrections, like, 6 months later.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That is so retro. I love it.

BigAl6ft6 and Taalcon like this.
  6. DarthNexys

DarthNexys Jedi Knight

Jul 3, 2015
    Aphra will die.

I have foreseen it.

And, perhaps more significantly, Gillen has foreshadowed it:

"When you need to do it, do it. And lightsaber, please."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Or that might be a red herring to throw us off track. At this point in time, it's impossible to tell how she'll end up.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I hope in the SW issues of Vader down it isn't just the core three walking around going "where's vader?"

9. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    They drive around in a van-like speeder.
    "Darth Vader where are you?"

10. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    Or simply character development to show us her relationship with Vader and her acceptance of the mission knowing she has no choice.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Those covers are excellent.

I like the Vader Down typeface design too, should act as a good bit of signposting for those not reading both books.

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Indeed or it could be many things at the same time. It's hard to tell what Gillen truly intended for the scene to be.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

13. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    I've never read anything from Gillen that I know of but I usually don't pay attention to writers/artists. From what I'm reading he could go in any direction at any moment but who knows how much restraint the LSG has put on him.

14. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Those covers are fantastic. I'm really looking forward to Vader Down. I'm looking forward to Shattered Empire more but the concept sounds pretty cool and I think both Aaron and Gillen have done a good job so far.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Finding Vader

On her journey Aphra & the droids will run into vegetarian Anzati, Bespin beldons, and a hoard of greedy Jawas that want to take the droids apart. Vader eventually gets stuck in a tank in Dr. Evazan's office. Hijinks ensue.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So you figure the odds on another Luke / Vader confrontation in Vader Down? I was able to be totally okay with what happened in SW #1/#2 because it was barely a confrontation, Vader promptly spanked Luke and had no idea who he was. Now that Vader knows who Luke is it gets .... dicey. Especially if they cross sabers long enough.

spicer, Jedi Ben and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    Exactly. My biggest concern with new material of characters we already know so well (even excluding Legends EU) is that any stories before RotJ will alter the reasoning behind characters decisions later on and affect the thought process of the characters during moments of the OT.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    "Find the son of Skywalker."
    "Yes, Master."

Cue Bespin...

"Ah, young Skywalker - what the hell? You again!?"

No. Just no.

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Vader and Luke confrontations are fine as long as the spirit of Obi-Wan keeps interfering to save the kid's bacon.

Vader: Luke, I am -
    Obi-Wan: TOTALLY WIZARD! (run Luke, run) WOOOooOOooo!

20. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    I wouldn't be bothered by another Luke/Vader encounter. If other people were around, I can totally see Vader not wanting to say anything about their relationship or his plans to use him.

I really want an encounter set between ESB and ROTJ. (Not a fight, but more of something where Luke sees the potential for good in him)

21. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    When exactly does Luke realize there's potential for good in Vader? Was there a precise moment in the movies where this happened or just at the end?

22. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    The movies don't explain, but I'd like to have something happen during the time between ESB and ROTJ where he starts thinking that.

Vader and Luke encounters in the new EU don't bother me if handled nicely, but I'd much rather see between ESB and ROTJ than between ANH and ESB.

The time between ESB and ROTJ can allow for character development on Luke and Vader. They are different in ROTJ than in ESB. They are more mellow. Perhaps they had some encounter that changed them.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think the Bespin duel could qualify for the trigger:

Luke: Vader could have killed him but didn't.

Vader: Luke was far better than he ever expected.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The first thing could actually work, Vader isn't going to go all "I am your father!" if Han & Aphra are right there. But, once again, due to Luke's powerset at the time post ANH and pre Yoda training in ESB, it would still go the way of "Star Wars" issue #2. Vader smackdown in seconds. There are ways to tapdance around it but I think the way it was handled in the first two issues of the "Star Wars" book are pretty much the best, most complete way to fit in with the other movies.

As for a post ESB / pre ROTJ encounter, that is actually a good point. Luke, frankly rather abruptly, in ROTJ is telling Yoda and Ben and Leia that "There is still good in him, I can feel it." when, quite frankly, in ESB Vader chopped his hand off and tried to basically take him over. Not seeing much good in there, so a post ESB encounter where Luke starts to see the good side, somehow, I think would totally fit. Let's just say it'd fit better more than another pre ESB confrontation/duel.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not sure there is really any 'proof' for Luke's hunch. Yes, he's proven correct but it took him being tortured with Sith Lightning for a good few minutes for that 'good' to rise up and do something. If Sid had decided to kill him quick with the Lighting x10000 setting....

I think Luke's aware it's a massive gamble too. Sure Vader fired on him in the Death Star trench and hit R2, so Mr Kill Everything missed? Similarly, he lost a hand but Vader couldn't have TK'd Luke off that platform to him at Bespin? This all says something is going on but is it what Luke think it is?