main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Vader in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Charon Lefleur, Jul 8, 2015.

1. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    This.

Vader should get some action but he shouldn't repeat the awful Yoda twirling, frog on a hot plate ridiculousness.

Show him toss aside a few rebels with the force, run through someone with the sabre, parry a few laser bolts...that's about it.

Sarge and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yoda twirling for Vader? I don't think Lucasfilm is full of idiots.

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Or the ridiculous Dooku flips either. Vader's a battle tank, he demolishes/destroys everything in his path, he doesn't NEED to move super-fast. It makes him all the scarier actually.

4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Vader is Disney's number one cash cow in Star Wars; won't be surprised if he is mega OP in Rogue One

5. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Did you see him on Rebels. He's a mega-scary dude (but still not too oop), and very cunning as well.

6. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    In the comics he took down an AT-AT.

7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Hope so. I'm certainly not worried about pinball Vader, or anything like that. The era of that kind of silliness is over. But I could see Edwards falling in love with something Force Unleashed-esque, or something akin to Sauron at the Last Alliance (see below), especially if he portrays Vader as the "monster" of his story. In a vacuum, I think that could be great. But in the context of the saga, it could be quite incongruous with Vader's more subdued role in the OT.

[​IMG]

8. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    What I want from Vader in Rogue One:
    • He shouldn't be the main villain, that's Ben Mendelsohn's role (presumably). Have his presence loom over the film but only have him be called in during the third act as a last resort when the primary villain(s) fail(s).
    • Make him a force-of-nature type character where he's the most powerful guy on the battlefield, but don't go too over the top with it.
    • He should be cold and ruthless without any hint of humanity at this point.

9. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    I lost faith in them with the Yoda / Sidious fight.

guittarjedi, Sarge and Avnar like this.
  10. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Those kinds of scenes were worse than Jar Jar for me. Also one of the reasons I rate ROTS at the bottom.

That said, this is a different Lucasfilm, with different leadership. I don't think we'll be returning to that kind of cartoonish nonsense.

LANDO_ROCKS and Darth_Pevra like this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Exactly.

You think Disney will do "subdued"? Fat chance, haha.

12. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I thought TFA showed some very admirable restraint in this regard, so yeah, I can see it.

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Hm, I don't really agree. Anyway, time will tell.

14. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    TFA had a duel that was quite impressive in it's raw grittiness, and how clumsy, awkward, and sloppy the characters were (which fit their characters at that point quite well). And we got very few of them, and they were short.

So yeah, I'm not worried about Vader's portrayal here at all right now. Disney seems to have the appropriate level of reverence for him.

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Kylo surpassed OT Vader in abilities, Rey is TESB Luke level at the end of the film despite having no training whatsoever. Both play the role of inexperienced youngsters in the story.

That's why I don't think LFL or Disney showed "restraint" in TFA. If inexperienced youngsters are capable of such feats, just wait what they will do in the next films.

16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    No, Kylo doesn't "surpass" Vader in any way right now. But we're getting off-topic.

17. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I thought I was the only one that had this film last... I actually rate the duel in it as the worst also! Should have been full of emotion - but instead we got a cgi mess that I didn't care about after 10 seconds.

Vader should be used sparingly and with brutal efficiency. But nothing over the top :cool:

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Over the years, I've found a lot of Star Wars fans that rate ROTS at the very bottom. Despite TPM's and AOTC's flaws, I enjoy them (especially TPM) far more than the season ender, which is a mess on nearly every level, IMO.

Avnar likes this.
  19. Josh7797445

Josh7797445 Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2016
  20. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Quite right.
    Vader is already doing crazy stuff in comics and books. It's getting to the point of making you question events in the OT, which isn't very good. But, alas, Darth Vader is a huge cash cow and I have no doubt we'll see some insane OP scene.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  21. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002

ROTS would be stone-cold-motherless last if it not were for the love scenes in AOTC which still grind my gears to this day.

TPM has always been my favourite prequel film.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This. I think Dooku using lightning in AOTC is one of the worst aspects of the entire saga. Part of what made lightning cool was that only Palpatine was capable of it and Vader's choke was "forgiving" in comparison.

Sarge, Darth_Pevra and La Calavera like this.
  23. AussieRebel

AussieRebel Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 2, 2005
    We get it. Y'all hate the prequels. Why can't this thread stay on topic?

Shamear likes this.
  24. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I'm guessing Vader will be unecessary cgi instead of an actor in costume.

25. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Not a chance. The new regime is obsessed with going old school.

Big Boss, darklordoftech and DanielUK like this.