main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader is right. The power of the Force can destroy the Death Star.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Onizuka, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onizuka

Onizuka Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    I mean literaly. A Jedi can use the Force to push the "self destruction" button to destroy it. Why Obi-Wan never suggest Luke for that?

2. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Because he would have died along with it...

3. MasterAero

MasterAero Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2002
    I think the self destruct button was out of order.

4. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Yes, I agree. Also why didn't Obi-Wan push Vader's self destruct button on his chest? [face_plain]

5. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    I think the self destruct button was out of order.

[face_laugh]

I might just watch that now...

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    "Even in space nothing works".

The force did destroy the death star, as Skywalker's missles were aimed and guided by the Force.

7. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    A Jedi can use the Force to push the "self destruction" button to destroy it.

Assuming such a thing exists.

8. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    when fans are seriously suggesting that concepts from Space Balls be in the films, you know theres something wrong.

"Thank you for pushing the self destruct button...this ship will self destruct in five minutes..."

9. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of Ludicrous Speed."

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I started a thread with Vader's line in reference in the NSA forum...click.

I definitely think the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force. The Death Star can destroy life...but the Force can SAVE it.

11. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, the Force can't hang around on the horizon and look threatening.

12. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    A wielder of the Force can put fear in the heart and mind of a person with merely a suggestion of the mind and make someone feel like there is something looming over the horizon when there actually isn't. The Death Star could strike fear into people...but its a physical object, and it is non living. For a person to be able to do such a thing witha "mystical energy field," well, that's something much more powerful.

13. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    And of course, there is always the EU meaning of that line- about ancient Sith causing supernovae.

14. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Not to mention Jedi Knights throwing starships out of orbit.

But there's a good point above...why DIDN'T Obi-Wan use the Force to mess with those buttons on Vader's chest? He could have screwed up Vader's life support system and left him dead on the floor.

For that matter, why don't Jedi use the Force to stop hearts, halt blood flow to people's brains to knock them out, something? It would be a lot less fuss than breaking out the lightsaber and hacking away. Some people would probably say such tactics are "not the Jedi way", and I would say that's bull. How is it any
    LESS barbaric to cut someone up with a lightsaber than to kill them by messing with their bodies with the Force?

15. --Darth_Dude--

--Darth_Dude-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2004
    that's not exactly Jedi-like, now is it, agressively using the force to rupture lungs and pierce internal organs, only to proceed hacking away at a defenseless opponent who is already dying from internal bleeding...

with a lightsaber, you at least give your opponent the chance to a fair fight... and if you then defeat him, you have deserved it. However if you brutally slaughter someone with the force, then you're a coward, afraid to face your opponent in battle out of fear of losing...

16. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    luke was using padawan force or it can be called...schwartz

17. Onizuka

Onizuka Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    Wow...I really appreciate the feedback. Actually I was just joking in this post.

18. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    So you think the average opponent facing a Jedi who is weilding a lightsaber stands a "fighting chance"? Yeah, I believe Jabba's men could have taken Luke...

What if a Jedi steps in to save someone, and instead of just killing the enemy, they block blaster shots with their lightsaber and then kill the enemy with it, but one of those ricochets kills an innocent bystander?
    When all they had to do was stop the heart or rupture the lungs of the evil person in question.

Actually, if Vader, a Sith, disarms Han Solo by snatching his pistol away with the Force, why don't the Jedi EVER do that to their opponents, instead of doing the old slice-and-dice?

19. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I agree Vader was right about the Force can destory the Death Star.
    It did just that.

20. --Darth_Dude--

--Darth_Dude-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2004
    So you think the average opponent facing a Jedi who is weilding a lightsaber stands a "fighting chance"? Yeah, I believe Jabba's men could have taken Luke...
    I believe that too. Because Luke wasn't exactly Mr Uber Jedi during the movies. Boba would have massacred Luke. What difference does it make, though?

What if a Jedi steps in to save someone, and instead of just killing the enemy, they block blaster shots with their lightsaber and then kill the enemy with it, but one of those ricochets kills an innocent bystander?
    It... doesn't? A Jedi directs the bolts back at whoever fired them. Not just a random direction...

When all they had to do was stop the heart or rupture the lungs of the evil person in question.
    Or freeze him using the force, not harming anything in the process... why would you necessarily have to kill him. Most of the times it isn't even an "evil guy" but just a guy who was ordered to do something by his evil boss... not everything is black and white...

Actually, if Vader, a Sith, disarms Han Solo by snatching his pistol away with the Force, why don't the Jedi EVER do that to their opponents, instead of doing the old slice-and-dice?
    They do. Now, I myself have never read too many EU stories/comics etc... but I bet that if you looked around abit you could find plenty instances where Jedi do that. Pulling someone's weapon out of someone's hand isn't necessarily evil, either. It's just a handy way of disposing of the main threat without making everything messy ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.