main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Vader: Maul, Dooku, and Grievous mixed together?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Arthurius, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Darth Arthurius

Darth Arthurius Jedi Knight

Jan 29, 2016
    Has anyone noticed that Vader is like, a culmination or fusion of all these three? He has the brute strength and hate of Maul. He has the commanding presence and collected calm of Dooku. He has the cybernetic nature and physical frailty of Grievous. Like Maul, Vader hates the Jedi. Like Dooku, he is a fallen Jedi; Like Grievous, Vader is a hunter of Jedi.

Do you think this was intentional by Lucas or did it just happen to work out that way?

2. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Yes, it was deliverate, Lucas talks about that in the commentaries I think. Dooku prefigures the "fallen Jedi" aspect of Anakin, while Grievous anticipates the "half machine-half man/alien" aspect. Not sure if Lucas talked about Maul as well, but it sounds logical.

In a way, I think it's appropriate that none of the "Sith apprentices" from the PT are given too much focus or time (and none of them dominates the trilogy). They were always pawns of Sidious, pieces of a greater game. And Vader is the culmination of the game: the result of all the previous steps.

3. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I wouldn't think Sidious anticipated Vader being like Grievous.

Now Lucas on the other hand, I believe he did it intentionally. And to be perfectly honest, I think it takes away from Vader. Mostly Dooku being a fallen Jedi. I think it would have been best if Anakin was the first fallen Jedi turned Sith (at least in a 1,000 years).

Darth Downunder likes this.
  4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I think it's more effective to have an example showing that Anakin's fall is a very real possibility. It enhances the danger of Anakin's temptations in much the same way that the knowledge that there is "another" besides Luke enhances the danger of his upcoming confrontation with Vader. In both cases the movie is intentionally signaling to the audience that there's absolutely no reason those outcomes can't come to pass. There's no narrative shield around the characters and their situations, and so you should worry.

The surprise is that the Chosen One destined to destroy the Sith might actually join them--not that a Jedi could be turned, period. The surprise is that the protagonist of the story becomes the villain.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  5. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It seems like you're just picking and choosing qualities to label each character.
    - I would categorize Maul as more precise, graceful and highly skilled than I would "brute strong"
    - All 3 of these characters hated the Jedi. Maul just had tattoos all over his face so he looked more hateful.
    - Again all 3 were Jedi hunters.

6. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Can’t really say more than what @oierem said, but I’ve thought this for a while now. I never knew Lucas actually talked about the subject.

It really makes me appreciate all three of the characters though. A lot of people like to complain about how he didn’t allow enough development for the antagonists and how he introduced them to “sell toys” but Lucas isn’t the type to put that small amount of thought into his stories. I love the idea that the three Sith foreshadow Vader’s traits. Only GL could’ve thought of doing something like that!

oierem likes this.