main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader wanted Luke to destroy the Emporer yes?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by J2183, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J2183

J2183 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2004
    Just finished watching Jedi with the commentary and Lucas says that The Emporer wanted Luke to kill Vader so that he could have a younger model as his apprentice whilst Vader wanted Luke to kill The Emporer so he could take over as the master of the Sith.

Now this is all well and good except why does Vader stop Luke from striking down The Emporer when he is about to?
    Could it be that he didnt want his son to turn to the Dark side?

2. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    He DID want his son to turn to the Dark Side - when Luke attacks the Emperor, he hasn't turned yet. Vader needs to wait until Luke has turned, and is on Vader's side - if he doesn't, then after Palpatine is dead, Luke would still be on the good side, and could kill Vader as well.

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I disagree. I think Vader stopped Luke in an attempt to save Skywalker from turning to the Dark Side. Killing the Emperor in cold blood no matter how justifiable is a path to the Dark Side and coupled with being angry, it was quite possible that he would've turned. Vader knows what the Dark side has cost him the past 20 years, it cost him his best friend, his wife, kids, etc. so I think he was protecting his son.

Hoping that one day, Skywalker would be able to enjoy the things in life that he never got to experience or the experience was cut short.

4. DarthyMarkyMark

Nov 6, 2003
    I assume you're joking? ;)

5. Dagobah-jay

Dagobah-jay Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2003
    I disagree. I think Vader stopped Luke in an attempt to save Skywalker from turning to the Dark Side.

I agree. thats why it took him so long to kill the emperor to. Anakin knew he was about to die. I think even anakin knew, finally, that the only one that could destroy the emperor was himself.

6. DarthyMarkyMark

Nov 6, 2003
    "Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends."

If that's not a statement of intention, I don't know what is.

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Yes, but remember there was conflict inside of Vader. I have no doubt that Vader wanted his son to turn to the Darkside, but I believe it was 'Anakain' who managed to stop Skywalker's blade. I think Vader made his first step back to the light side by blocking his son's strike, a strike made not out of self-defense, but in full hatred.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.