main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader,when did he know?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by QuiWanKenJin, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005

I think in "Vader's Quest" one rebel pilot fails to escape Yavin IV and Vader interoggates him to learn that it was Luke Skywalker who destroyed the Death Star.Did Vader know Luke was his son then or just a relative?"Anakin Skywalker:The Story of Darth Vader" claimed that he figured it out after the interrogation of the pilot.The DVD version of EP.V suggests that he didn't know until Darth Sidious told him.However if the eu states he already knew,then it seems he did a good job decieving the Emperor.In "Vader's Quest" does it actually note that Vader knew Luke was his son?[face_thinking]

2. SilentSpeaker

SilentSpeaker Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    How does Siddy/Palp suggest it in the DVD? I have not yet seen it (the new one right, with the changes to that "What is thy bidding..." line right?)

3. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    The DVD doesn't change anything. All it does is make even clearer that the movie marks the first conversation between Palps and Vader re: the "son of Skywalker." (Whether Palps has recently found or just chosen not to bring it up until then is not clear.) The new DVD accentuates that Vader has been attempting to conceal his knowledge of Luke; when he learns Palps knows, he acts shocked. But the events before that still establish that Vader's been hunting the Rebels as a means to find Luke (well, and also to wipe out the Rebels).

No tension here between ESB and the EU, it would appear.

4. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    There's a nice little bit of guile in JEJ's voice when he says, "Howww is that possssible?"

5. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Definitely. (As an aside, whenever I watch this new version, I expect Palps to answer sarcastically, "Well, Lord Vader, when girls and boys like each other a lot, they . . . " ;) [face_mischief] )

6. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005

I thought so.Now there's just one problem.In "Splinter of the Minds Eye"Vader says something to Luke that sounds like he intends to kill him.The line is and I quote:"I probably won't have the patience to let you last as long as you deserve.You may consider yourself lucky.":eek:

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."

"Don't make me destroy you."

"I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further."

"Now I am the master."

"You will try."

"He will join us or die."

Vader talks a lot of smack.

BTW, the fact that Vader hears the name Skywalker and all his assumptions unravel in an instant is just further confirmation of my opinion that Obi-Wan and Yoda made some bad decisions in hiding Luke. [face_peace]

8. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005

Very good.

9. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Luke keeping the "Skywalker" aspect was probably Owen and Beru's doing... well, probably more Owen... they didn't hide that he was adopted, and probably saw no reason to hide his real name either... they wouldn't have taken him in if they were told it was "Luke Smith"

10. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Well they obviously knew who he was, but even if he thought Anakin was dead, it should have seemed fairly imperitive to keep Luke's identity a secret cuz...well...that was the whole point of the operation. It worked out, in the end, but they weren't as careful as they could have been.

11. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    Vader Could have found out he was his son anyway, but if he hadn't known Luke wouldn't have sav the galaxy etc. Maybe that's why it was kept.

12. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >I think in "Vader's Quest" one rebel pilot fails to escape Yavin IV and Vader interoggates him to learn that it was Luke Skywalker who destroyed the Death Star.Did Vader know Luke was his son then or just a relative?"<

Actually, the Rebels are still on Yavin--the Rebel was captured on Centares.

It's worth noting that not only did both Vader and Palpatine know about Luke before TESB (Vader's Quest), but they *knew* each other knew as well. In CSW, they have a conversation about Vader's son. This hasn't been resolved with the new DVD yet, though I'm sure it will be.

TC

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I don't know why George edited those lines for the DVD editions. Vader already knew about Luke---its pretty obvious from his "and I'm sure Skywalker is with them." line. :rolleyes:

Vader also finds out the name of the Death Star Destroyer in the Marvel run, but IIRC its only the last name.

14. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005

We people and our obssesion with continuity.8-}

15. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >Vader also finds out the name of the Death Star Destroyer in the Marvel run, but IIRC its only the last name.<

Actually, it's in Vader's Quest that he finds out the last name. In the Marvel comics, apparently taking place after Vader's Quest, Vader finds out his whole name. Because the circumstances are somewhat similar (Vader tortures a Rebel to find out the name) it's often suggested that the two events are the same. Since Vader kills the Marvel Rebel, but not the VQ Rebel, and the interrogation takes place indoors in one comic, and out doors in another comic, and since Vader flies two different spaceships, it's more likely that they are two seperate events.

TC

16. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    Or two differing in-universe rumours about the same event.

17. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    My mistake. Its been a while since I've read both of them. :)

They both work, since Vader probably would have wanted extra confirmation that this kid actually was a Skywalker.

18. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Not to mention that he didn't learn Luke's first name in Vader's Quest--just "Skywalker".

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.