main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vaderisms

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Nastard, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nastard

Nastard Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2001
    I checked the first several pages, but I didn't see anything that directly addressed my question, but feel free to flame me if there's already another thread devoted to this particular topic.

What I'm looking for is a complete and comprehensive list of the little things that hint at Anakin's eventual turn to the Dark Side. We all know about the shadow on Tatooine and the forced removal of a right arm, but I've heard mentions of a split-second flash of the actual helmet, along with a few other rumours.

What other easter-egg style hints were we given?

2. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    This isn't really an easter egg, but the way Anakin stands on the balcony on Naboo is the same way Vader stood in the Star Destroyer in ESB.

3. SrA1355

SrA1355 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    the line about a dictatorship in the field (where I personally think Padme looked the best throughout the movie).

4. Insidious_Clone

Insidious_Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    In the way Lucas framed the shots there are a few...

- the balcony on Naboo (as mentioned)
    - the walk with the emperor in his office
    - Anakin held his belt just like Vader
    - His walk and cloak looked EXACTLY like Vader throughout the movie
    - The way he spoke (speech mannerisms - or how he phrased things)

This isn't really a list of specific scenes, but observations of his character that were consistent throughout AOTC.

5. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    His shadow against at the homested, when he hugs Padme, its meant to resemble Vaders, the pony tail makes it look like Vader helmet. Not exactly what you meant but its cool ;) Also in TPM when Anakin is at the table talking about the podrace, he does that pointing thing like Vader in ANH.

6. OrlandoT

OrlandoT Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 1999
    >>>- The way he spoke (speech mannerisms - or how he phrased things)<<<

The scene by the fireplace where he told Padme of his feelings. It was reminiscent of Vader, just after he reveals to Luke that he was his father.

7. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    A good "Vadreisms" detail is Hayden's emphasis on breathing.

When he says, "You're presence is soothing", he, distincly, breathes in and out.

Also, in the same scene, he let's out a heavy exhale right before he says, "I know I'm disobeying my mandate."

8. Insidious_Clone

Insidious_Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    Good call OrlandoT! I was thinking...

ESB: "Search your feelings Luke, you knoooowww it too be true"
    and
    AOTC: "You are in my very sooouull"

9. Twelve_Motion

Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    After he says, "I wont be long", and he turns around. When he's walking up to his harley his cloke flows out behind him like a cape, like VADER! Pretty Coo!

10. bed_speling

bed_speling Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2002
    Anakin's arm being trapped inside the robotic arm of a Super Battledroid at the conveyor belt (least I think it was a Super Battledroid).

11. jayme_

jayme_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    "C'mon, tell us...TELL US NOW!"

Well, not exactly what your asking for but it's still so...Vaderish.

12. classixboy

classixboy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    When he is out looking for his mom, the image of him in sillhouette talking to the Jawa looks just like Vader.

13. Ender_needs_Bean

Ender_needs_Bean Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    You guys make an excellent point about Hayden's speech pattern. I didn't notice it at first, but his speech pattern is similar to Vaders.

I remember reading that Hayden was trying to incorporate James Earl Jone's performance with a little bit of Jake Loyd.

Now, at times, I can notice the JEJ speech pattern... However, during the confession scene before he confesses, Anakin is fixing a small part. He mentions something about, how "life is easier when you're fixing things." He delivered the line PERFECTLY. It was delivered EXACTLY how little Jake Lloyd would have!

The more I watch AOTC, the more I am impressed at what Hayden was able to do with Lucas' dialogue. He displays moments of Jake and JEJ all in the same film! I can't wait to see him turn...

14. LadyNaberrie

LadyNaberrie Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    wow! all of these Vaderisms are great! I noticed that when he was going to see his mom he had his hands behind his back when Padmé came out. heh I might have been imagining it but oh well!

15. Nastard

Nastard Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2001
    The shadow makes me wonder if Lucas had this shot in mind when he designed Obi-Wan's padawan 'do, or if it was just an amazingly serendipitous coincidence.

16. JPad

JPad Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Hey a big one to me was him taking down all the Tuskens in that camp and not even thinking twice about it at the time. Thats how I picture Vader wasting all the jedi and republic people that stand in the emperors way.

17. jedimasteryodafan

jedimasteryodafan Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    I noticed in my third viewing of the film today (after staying home all weekend to watch Episodes 1,5,6) that when Anakin tells Padame "I HATE THEM!" the music starts playing (I forget what it's called; the death march or something, but it's the same music that always plays when Vader walks into a room) so it was like, this is it...he's given into his hate and gone to the dark side. The making of Vader has begun when he gives into his rage.

18. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Can someone post some kind of proof regarding the "shadow on the homestead"? I have yet to read or see anything in interviews by those involved with the film that says the shot was what people are saying it is.

I persoanlly think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's is SUPPOSED to look like Vader's helmet. A lot has been made of this shot, and now it seems that people are seeing Vader shadows everywhere!

Anyone?

As for MY personal Vaderisms . .

"I can't breath."

Great line, and delivery.

I also like how Hayden's and Jake Lloyd's performances are connected. Two things come to mind:

1. The last few shots of TPM . . Anakin gives Padme an eerily Hayden-like smirk. It's almost like a preview of the Anakin we'll see in Episode II.

2. "This is a shortcut . . I think" is reminiscent of the line "They live on the moons of Iago . . I think".

-Otis

19. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    Otis, you really have to see the film and watch closely. The shadow in the forbidden love trailor (though close) doesn't look as VADER-Like as it does at the very beggining of that scene. Anakin turns to look at padme comming out of the house, and the shadow moves. During this split second movement, the shadow looks most like Vader. However, there is still an echo of Vader in the shadow the whole scene.

Also, the . . . "I think" is also remencent of. "I saved the pod . . . mostly"

The way his robe flows like a cape on Tatooine is the best though.

We could evn expand this a little to say Hayden also has several "Luke-isms" .
    "It isn't fair!" Comes to mind.

20. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Otis Frampton, good call on the way Hayden and Jake Lloyd's performances are connected. :)

However, I do think Vader's shadow was intentional. Why else linger on that shot for so long?

21. forcethrown

forcethrown Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    "I can't breath". Excellent fordshadowing.
    Also, at his mother's grave site Anikin says "I wont't fail again", or something to that effect. This could refer to his saving Luke in ROTJ.

22. V Wing Fighter Pilot

V Wing Fighter Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    oh PLEASE:

"I HATE THEM!" ( cue IMPERIAL MARCH)

23. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    InsidiousClone said:
    "- Anakin held his belt just like Vader"

When exactly did he do that?

24. darthkin

darthkin Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    " We could evn expand this a little to say Hayden also has several "Luke-isms" .
    "It isn't fair!" Comes to mind. "

In movie terms it is Luke that has Vaderism (as a child/teen).. not the other way around.

25. V Wing Fighter Pilot

V Wing Fighter Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    someday i will be the most powerful Jedi ever! I will even learn to stop people from dying!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.