main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Vaderpalooza: POSTPONED UNTIL SPRING 2006

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Don't mistake my earlier post as complaining.
    It was just me stating that we've been all psyched up about this event for a year. So we must reschedule. Okay. I must check the events in the theatre department for the time period we set so that I may be able to attend. I have one more BFA audition next semester, and I want to make sure I'll be able to come to his much anticipated event.

It's not complaining. It's just me stating the obvious.

2. Valeska

Valeska Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    As long as we are stating the obvious, no one is more disappointed at this that Joe, J, Tim, and I because we're the ones who put work into this event so far. :mad:

Since the event has only been on the books since May and real discussion has only been going on for a month, it isn't very well planned at this point. With a few more months and nothing big (no Celebration this year) coming up, we have lots of time to put effort into it. And since it is to be a premeire event, more care needs to be taken with the planning.

So I propose that after the New Year, we begin to have some Vaderpalooza planning meets with a committee of SMT members. I will post this on the members only boards. [face_thinking]

3. DRAMA

DRAMA Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2004
    Hello, friends.

4. Echo7Solo

Echo7Solo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 10, 2005
    this is what is wrong with cable.... the same thing is on every channel. Hey, I have a wild idea... lets pop in a Star Wars DVD. After all, isn't that why we are here?

5. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
  6. Valeska

Oct 30, 2004
  7. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Echo, DRAMA is a friend of ours. It'll be okay. ;)

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Tehdrama?

Here?

I don't think it's possible. :p

9. Valeska

Oct 30, 2004
    Conversations with our former president have resulted in another venue being chosen for Vaderpalooza. Thanks to everyone who helped and supported Joe and I in our planning of the previous venue event.

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Understandably, Gina and Joe were not comfortable with the idea of keeping this event open to outside FF members and wanted to restrict it to only SMT Council members. This was well within their hosting rights, which I respect without question. However, I felt that restricting the attendance of this event in such a way would diminish it, and would weaken the bonds tht the SMT has made and continues to form with its sister chapters.

I have discussed it with Sal, and we have agreed that it would be better if we found a campground for this event. With this change in venue, we would gain restroom and cooking facilities that we would have to otherwise supply on our own, and it would be more convenient for everyone. Also, this way there will be no host to worry about inconveniencing.

Also, we could charge all fees in advance via PayPal to cover food and any rental fees a campsite may charge. By doing this, we would have expected attendance figures and be able to plan this better.

After speaking with Dylan and a few other Chapter Reps, RSAs, and GSAs, it seems as if people in our region are looking for a good venue to get the chapters together. Plus, a lot of folks are itching to see the entire Saga presented consecutively. I think that by making this change, we can add a lot to Vaderpalooza and truly shape it into the premier event that I had originally envisioned.

11. Valeska

Oct 30, 2004
    How will this change financially impact dues paying members?[face_thinking]

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, as we had originally discussed, if we were to provide meals, we would have to charge to cover the cost of the food. If this is held in a public campground, I'm sure there will be fees charged, which we could include with the food charge.

Note that this isn't anything set in stone. (I don't call the shots here, and I sure as hell am not in charge of this. This is meerly my suggestion, an idea, and nothing more. If anyone took it as more than that, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.) We could always make this a fend-for-yourself situation as far as food and fees go. As we had discussed earlier, though, it seemed that it would cheaper on everyone if we pooled our money and bought in bulk, in which the savings and the amounts involved would directly depend on the numbers attending. In that case, even dues-paying members would still have to pay a fee for the food and camping fees, just as if we met in a public place. And since dues aren't to be used to cover food, we would have to charge additional fees to cover the expenses incurred in feeding everyone who attends. In that case, charging for tickets beforehand for the food and fees would facilitate better planning and help things run much more smoothly.

13. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Thanks.

I don't see that, but ok.

Good luck. I know Jacob had a suggestion for a location at one point.

What about what the rest of the group envisioned?

-Joe

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    And just what does the rest of the group envision? I threw out ideas, and no one bothered to speak up and suggest anything otherwise. I created policies and no one argued. If you don't bother to say anything, then why is it my fault when I go ahead and start making plans? Why now is the leadership I provided being attacked and critiqued so heavily and openly when no one bothered to say a damned thing when I did hold the position? I really do not appreciate it. This group has had three years to speak up and say something if they were unhappy with me. Amazing that some of you choose to both privately and openly criticize and personally attack me now that I no longer have a title. You all have just as much say in this as I do. I suggest you start exercising your options instead of going along with whomever bothers to plan the events.

So, how about this: Since I mistakenly thought that since this concept was my baby from the beginning, (much like nearly everything else all of you have seemed to enjoy over the past couple of years), that I was still was in charge of planning it, I'll step back and let the rest of you do it. I'll make no further plans, speak to no other chapters (including our sister chapter in Arkansas), and do nothing more about it since this is now a problem. I'll apologize now for being so forward in assuming that I still held any responsibility for the ideas that were in the works when I left office, and will henceforth desist in their further pursuit and development. Since the problem with this event lies with my involvement, I will remove myself from it in the name of keeping the peace.

15. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    The problem arose when some people thought this was going to be a big party for our members, as a way to celebrate those of us who paid our dues while some other people thought that it would be a great way to get a bunch of Fan Forces together for something huge. And these two concepts had not come together until today. So it's a good thing that it was postponed as there was a miscommunication about which non-Council members would be invited.

I proposed a smaller members-only concept on the SMT boards.
    We have agreed today to change the venue. Our concerns (me and Gina) about who will be attending are now out of the realm of hosts (where final say exists) and back to just members. Honestly, at this point, I don't care who comes. Depending on where the final venue is, we may or may not attend. I dunno.

I just thought some of the rest of the group might want to weigh in on some things. I thought some people might agree that having a big bash for us (just us, our friends) would be cool, and some people might agree that a regional (or more) meeting would be fantastic, and some people might want both.

As for your leadership being attacked and critiqued so heavily and openly, dude, I asked a question. That's all. Apologies if it came off as an attack.

We have been discussing Vaderpalooza since before the RotS premiere when we volunteered to host. Plans for food, and set-up and itinerary. If there were plans and discussions about it that did not include us (the hosts) then there is some problem there. Otherwise, with the exception of who to invite, we've (I believe) been on the same page. So while it may have been your idea in the beginning, you were not alone. But maybe you thought you were.
    Do what you want.

-Joe

16. Valeska

Oct 30, 2004
    I think that everyone should take a break from this for at least 24 hrs and calm down. Because, despite what anyone thinks, this is not a life or death issue no matter what the outcome.

If you drink, have a drink. If not do what ever it is you do to relax yourself (we don't need to know what that might be.)[face_whistling]

17. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Look, let's cut to the chase here:

Apparently I failed to listen to Joe and Gina's wishes regarding this event. For that, I offer them my humble and heartfelt apology. Apparently, this has been FUBAR from the beginning, despite what each of us thought individually. I made assumptions about what they thought and wanted, and apparently have done the same for everyone else in this group since the beginning. Now it has been brought to my attention that a good portion of it was truly nothing but assumption, and that my "vision" for what this group was going to be and become was solely my own.

Since no one spoke up otherwise, I somehow made this a habit. I never intended on becoming a dictator, which I apparently did, but when nearly everything was left solely up to me to take care of, (for reasons for which I do take full responsibility), it apparently became my modus operandi to do things the way I saw fit.

Now that everything is out in the open, I have received some criticism regarding this, and, yes, it is somewhat deserved. It does hurt to hear it now, though, after three years hearing nary a whisper- especially after I ended my tenure as President, and you'll have to forgive me as seeing it as an attack, because that's how it feels. I do wish you all would've spoken up, or spoken up even louder, when you were unhappy. Apparently several of you were not thrilled with my leadership, despite what I thought was conveyed otherwise.

I don't say this for attention, or to garner sympathy or support. I say this as fact, and as basis for this: If I ignored anyone in any way, if I stepped on any toes, hurt any feelings, or quashed any ideas, I want to apologize for it now. I take full responsibility for my faults during my time as president. Unfortunately, now it's too late to change things.

While I'm at it, I want to dispel a few rumors:

I do not want to continue as the leader of the SMT despite my stepping down. Granted, I do have some influence still, and I'll still be active and speak my mind about events and the direction we're taking, but I have no desire to use anyone as my puppet.

The Emperor title, as well as the bylaw regarding it, is indeed a joke. The title will disappear after a while, and the joke article (which, BTW, has been there since the beginning and has gone unnoticed- a little test to see if anyone was paying attention) will be removed. (Oh, and Sal was the first person to catch it.)

I no longer hold any title or office in the group, so there is no need to call me about any ideas you have unless you just want an opinion. If you need an official word, contact your Prez, Secretary, or Treasurer.

I will be serving as an advisor to Sal, per his request. He is, however, fully in charge of this group per the elected title he won.

That said, Sal, Hollie, and Joe, as well as any other Council member, are free to tell me to shut the hell up if necessary. And they can kick me out if I become a problem. It's all there in the bylaws.

Also, I still am completely backing out of planning this event, especially since my concepts do not mesh with everyone else's, and I know that I'll have a tendency to try and run things. Old habits die hard, folks. So, I'm going to remove myself from any temptation before anyone else gets offended by my actions. This way, others can feel free to turn this into the event that they envision without any interference that my grandeur ideas may cause.

-Tim

18. No_Kokoro

No_Kokoro Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2005
  19. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Don't worry about it, Lao. Some arguments are productive. This one was.

20. Echo7Solo

Echo7Solo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 10, 2005
    so how long do I have to wait before a group hug?[:D]

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Until the end of Act II. That's when everthing always gets resolved. Then we do the group finale song. Just like in Les Miserables.

22. No_Kokoro

No_Kokoro Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2005
    as long as it was productive[face_monkey]

23. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'd just like to say one thing, here.

I want everyone to take the club out of the equation. Forget the club. It's not important. Friendship is and relationships are. If it comes down to not doing SMT, and keeping my friends... I don't have to tell you what I'll do. Now, we've had a good thing over the past couple of years and when we weren't talking about by-laws, drive-ins, events, etc. (and I'm not just talking about one person here), we were fine. We're a group of friends who have fun hanging out together. Is this worth it? Is this worth getting this upset about?

Let's get some perspective.

I'd ask one or two things here. Don't second-guess peoples feelings and thoughts on things - both past and present, and don't second-guess people's motivations. We are close enough that if we feel a certain way, we'll tell each other. If we don't, don't worry about it, it isn't that important. Like family.

I'm seriously debating removing this thread, and forcing us to start over on this subject.

24. Valeska

Oct 30, 2004
    I see what we have here, labeling trouble.

Let me reconstruct.

Joe and I are proposing a Saga Sleepover just for paying members. We would have people come up on a Saturday, watch all six movies, have pizza, soda, do Sal's hair, whatever, then go home on Sunday after catching a few ZZZZZZs. That's it.

The label of Vaderpalooza can be saved for something huge if everyone wants to do that. We table it until the New Year rolls around, then whoever is interested can start piping in with ideas and help with planning.

Agreeable?

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Sounds good to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.