main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Vader's Apprentice

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by AKAI_FETT, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKAI_FETT

AKAI_FETT Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2006
    Hey all, first time on this board. I am a member f the San Francisco Fan force and I am in the works of making a Vader's Apprentice costume.
    I can come up with most of the parts on my own but what i need is the shoulder armor.

See: [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/7e/SecretApprentice_tfu.jpg]

It looks like the Boushh armor but a bit modified. Anyone know who is making them?

2. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    This one is so new, I don't know of anyone who has successfully made this costume, yet. Good luck. I am working on a Shadow Guard costume, myself. Let us know how it works out!

- Bill

3. AKAI_FETT

Feb 27, 2006
    I guess what I'm looking for is someone that makes the Boushh shoulder armor.Anyone have leads or selling one?

4. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I'd be VERY interested to see how that one turns out. I LOVE their costume. Are you using the art from the Action Figure box as a reference?

Anyways, while I hate the character for the Secret Apprentice, I have to admit that its a cool costume. I'd reckon that you could probably use Sintra for the shoulder armor, or, from the looks of it, Leather.

5. Darth_Ydarb

Darth_Ydarb Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2008
    I reckon that you should make a plastercast of your shoulder blades to get your basic body shape then from there build up the plaster cast until you get the desigered shape. once this is achieved then use fibreglass resign to finish off the look and paint as desired...

I am currently working in a Herliquine Jedi/Sith taking from Anakin/Revan and Nihilus. Once I have finished this I will try work on this.

6. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    My husband is doing this costume. I'll be working on the leg wrappings and armour. I'll post pictures as I go so it's seen.

I've most of the items in the house except for a couple of odds and ends.
    The padding on the shirt will have to be added. I can't tell if that's leather or just padding.

7. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    and Stsrkiller is vaders apprentices name too.

8. AKAI_FETT

Feb 27, 2006
    Where did you get the shoulder armor from?

9. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    If you can believe it, it's cut out of a brand new, smooth, large, round plastic trash can. :)
    (Large incase there's a mess up.) Good for a very limited budget. I'd rather craft it from actual metel, but there's isn't any around the workshop at the moment. :)

A cheap way for a template is this product called "Foamies" that are found in Wal-mart. Found in differant colours and sizes. Works great for a flexible amrour template or in some cases to BE the armour padding.

Some parts of the Apprentice's shirt appear to be leather padding on the shoulder where the armour lays.

10. del

del Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2008
    A friend of mine who is a major cosplay geek has been doing fun stuff with these sheets of plastic. I'll get the actual name of it from her and post later on. But you basically take one of those heat guns that is used to strip paint and use it to shape the plastic. She's used it for a lot of shields and armor, so I'll try and get more specific info for you.

11. AKAI_FETT

Feb 27, 2006
    Very cool! Thanks much!

12. del

del Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2008
    The stuff is called Wonderflex, and I googled it this morning. Instead of trying to decide which site is the best, here are the search results:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wonderflex&aq=1&oq=wonderfle

13. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    I have a buddy in Texas who has done this costume. So he is helping me with it. I do have the action figure to use as reference, but I have other source pictures as well.

- Bill

14. naatkins

naatkins Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2008
    I'm working on this costume as well, and ran into the same problems with the shoulders, I was considering getting either plain sheet metal, a trash can, or disposable cooking pans for them.

anyways what I wanted to say for anyone looking for detail on him, If you have a PS3 or 360 and Soul Calibur IV, you can open him up in character creation, pose him, and zoom in on specific parts, thats what I've been doing.

15. GalenofKashyyyk

GalenofKashyyyk Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2008
    ***SPOILER TO BOOK ALERT!!! SPOILER! IF YOU HAVEN'T READ "T.F.U." BOOK YET, STOP!!***

Just joined up specifically to find out how to start on making this character's costume (Galen/Starkiller), the tip on using Soul Caliber IV for a reference is great, thanks for that...

if i am reading this right (the TFU book, that is...) Galen goes full Jedi by the end, and he is dressed in more of a tattered but traditional Jedi outfit, is that right? i only have seen the pics of him in his "Starkiller" style outfit, not the "Galen Marek" look, so need some guidance... in my mind, it would be very similar to the Old Republic Jedi outfit, but maybe more "soldier" style since he had to improvise from the outfits on the Rogue Shadow available to him...

as you can tell, i am still up-in-the-air on deciding how to steer this one, so looking for any insight, opinions also welcome!
    any info is welcome, and thanks in advance!

16. AKAI_FETT

Feb 27, 2006
    I just finished laying the fiberglass for my Starkiller shoulder/ neck armor. It's coming along well and should have the final costume done in a week or two.

17. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I'm doing the cheaper route, and using the armor tutorial at http://www.youtube.com/distressing.

It should provide workable results, though. It's just a Halloween costume, so I'm not going to crazy with it. I'll try to remember to post results as I go. Just started on the shoulderpiece today.

The tricky part seems to be getting the shape right.

18. Jedi_Pilot_PR

Jedi_Pilot_PR Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2008
    [image=http://a858.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/74/l_a305ef710b0b47596f74ddc83f03afd1.jpg]
    I make my armor with foamy!!!

19. naatkins

naatkins Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2008
    [image=http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm8/jangofettucini/P9120200.jpg]

The shoulders are a bit smaller than I would have hoped, I'm thinking of re-doing them, They're made of sheet metal and sprayed with a hammered silver krylon

20. naatkins

naatkins Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2008
    [image=http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm8/jangofettucini/Photo289.jpg] [image=http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm8/jangofettucini/Photo288.jpg]

I redid the shoulders, still the same material, but instead of kyrloning them to be hammered I sanded them to give them a worn feel. Also increased the size substantially, although the back is still a bit short, I'm happy with them.

and btw the circular piece on the front is actually on the correct side, I took the pictures with photobooth on a mac so the images are mirrored/

21. smashed121

smashed121 Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2008
    im thinking of creating this costume but i think im going to use this pic for a reference[image=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gamingbits/2505056769/]. im working on ordering most of the material but anymore help would be good.

22. starwarschile

starwarschile Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2002
    Awesome!!!!

23. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/Vaportrail1519/1-1.jpg]
    That's my template so far. I've since made it out of cardboard, and it works pretty nice. I cut down the back neck section so it looks more accurate.
    The piece doesn't stay perfectly in shape, but once I get the buckles figured out, it will.

I'm just waiting until I can figure out the collar, then I'll paint it. The part I'm struggling with is making the collar so it'll look right. My first attempt left it sort of sticking outward, rather than fading inward and up.
    It looks you guys avoided that part entirely, but I'm being stubborn about it.

It'd be nice if I had a stronger material to work with, but I wouldn't know where to begin with something else.

24. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    then it should be like this:

[image=http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/LAN-ED-TUL/Photo289.gif]

simple horizontal flip with CS2 lol

25. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Naatkins, what was your technique for doing this out of sheet metal? What kind did you use, etc.?

Cardboard just isn't very sturdy, lol. It'll work for Halloween, but I'm wondering if I have all the right tools if I want to make a more durable version later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.