main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Vader's ashes?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthZ07, Jan 5, 2016.

?

Vader's ashes or just hot coals?

1. yes, those are Vader's ashes

56.6%
  2. no, those are not Vader's ashes

43.4%
  1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah presumably he can just, pick the bowl up and move it if he wants to.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The ashes are what is left of the person who was in the interrogation room before Poe and Rey. Kylo Ren very much wants to not succumb to his grandfather's perceived weaknesses: "No disintegrations" is not in his vocabulary.

Luke'sSeveredHand and Strongbow like this.
  3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    We have no evidence of that whatsoever. Meanwhile, we DO have evidence of his having Vader's burned/charred helmet, and he makes a point of slamming his mask, which is a huge part of his perceived "connection" to Vader, down into the ashes.

4. Knights of Ben

Knights of Ben Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 30, 2016
    Not to nitpick, but Poe and Rey are interrogated in two entirely different rooms; Poe on the Finalizer, Rey on Starkiller (unless you just mean that both rooms would have ashes). That said, if the "ashes" are shown in the Starkiller room, and Vader's helmet is on the Finalizer, that might suggest that these "ashes" are nothing to do with Vader at all, and, like you say, possibly the remains of a previous prisoner.

Edit: Then again, if they are Vader's ashes, it would be interesting in light of Rey's, "You're afraid you won't live up to Darth Vader" line during this scene. Like he symbolically allies himself with Vader in front of Rey (mask dumped in Vader's ashes), and then she takes him apart over it. Or maybe I'm just talking Sith!

5. Dark_Disciple

Dark_Disciple Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2005
    This snippet is not trivial. It's very clear that he plonks his helmet down in these ashes, we're meant to take note. I've seen the film twice now and both times it just feels like these are Vader's ashes or ground samples from the remains of the funeral pyre. I don't think, to Kylo, it matters which, the point is they symbolise the grandfather he idolises and draws strength and inspiration from. I wouldn't put it past him to use them in this interrogation scene with Rey. He's learnt she is connected to his search for Luke and Luke is his uncle and Vader's son. Maybe he brought him (Vader's ashes) into the interrogation room to psych himself up and oddly put on a family front. The helmet dropped into the ashes also, in my opinion, symbolises the death knell of the helmet's usefulness to Kylo's image and his power. From this point on he's weaker, at least in the scene the way it unfolds and he doesn't get what he wants.

Knights of Ben, I just read your edit and I like it, I think he does use the ashes as some kind of...I don't know, talisman, lucky charm. Let's be real, this is a possibility, the guy is a little different shall we say.

6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    My first thought on seeing him place the helmet in those ashes was that were Vaders. It seemed to deliberate a shot for there to be no significance to those ashes.

7. Knights of Ben

Knights of Ben Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 30, 2016

Absolutley. He talks to an old broken helmet in his personal quarters for a start. I'd say it's one of TFA's "pleasing ambiguities" (my term.)

Rancor Keeper and Dark_Disciple like this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't get the scene.

If it is coals it makes no sense. Because what's the purpose ot the coals supposed to be, disinfecting?

If it is Vader's ashes it makes no sense either. Someone like Kylo would enshrine the ashes or ingest them, but using them just for resting his helmet on them seems irreverent.

9. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I have a theory that Kylo's mask is made out of surviving pieces of Vader's armor (that's why it's made out to be so heavy -- making a big thud whenever it's put down), so those ashes are probably that of Vader's armor too. Just putting the mask where it belongs.

10. WookieeShampoo

WookieeShampoo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015

Heating iron for torture, Star Wars always has some medieval inspirations, why not from historic forms of torture? It is in sync with Kylo´s medieval knight like appearance (sword shaped lightsaber, Helmet) too.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    He's heating the helmet to torture himself with third degree burns?

12. WookieeShampoo

WookieeShampoo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015

He drops the helmet there to show that he isn´t depending on it, that he isn´t hiding behind it, although the amount of overcompensation and drama he does it with could lead one to different conclusions:).

13. Dark_Disciple

Dark_Disciple Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2005
    [​IMG]

Another theory for the ashes. I think this is rather fun. Mr Hidalgo is a creative executive for Lucasfilm. Just a joke no doubt.

14. X-File

X-File Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    New character for Ep VIII I see...

Millicent needs his own official thread...

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I kinda dig the idea that Hux has a cat.

16. ForgottenMaster

ForgottenMaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Memento mori (Latin: "remember that you must die")[2] is the medieval Latin theory and practice of reflection on mortality, especially as a means of considering the vanity of earthly life and the transient nature of all earthly goods and pursuits. It is related to the ars moriendi ("The Art of Dying") and related literature. Memento mori has been an important part of ascetic disciplines as a means of perfecting the character, by cultivating detachment and other virtues, and turning the attention towards the immortality of the soul and the afterlife.[3]
    In art, mementos mori are artistic or symbolic reminders of mortality.[2] In the European Christian art context, "the expression... developed with the growth of Christianity, which emphasized Heaven, Hell, and salvation of the soul in the afterlife."[4]

I was thinking about Hamlet talking to the jester's skull and found this a few layers deeper into Wikipedia. Thought it was interesting if not at all related. Anyway, the rest of the entry talks about using an object to help yourself remember your mortality I guess. In the past, this was a skull depicted in art and literature. In TFA, it might be Vader's mask.

Dark_Disciple likes this.