main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vaders' blaster absorbing hand..

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jedi_quinn, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_quinn

jedi_quinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Sorry about the false post, but at least I locked it!

Anyways, when Vader "absorbs" Hans' blaster bolts in ESB, is he absorbing them as described as a skill in the EU, or is it just damaging his robotic hand, which gives Luke an advantage in the duel??

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    If those shots were actually hitting Vader's hand, I'm sure it would have been completely fried, as there were multiple shots and they hit more directly than did the single shot that grazed Luke's hand in RotJ.

The two possibilities I would think of are that Vader is using the Force to deflect the shots and that Vader's gloves are armored like the rest of his suit.

3. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Anyways, when Vader "absorbs" Hans' blaster bolts in ESB, is he absorbing them as described as a skill in the EU, or is it just damaging his robotic hand, which gives Luke an advantage in the duel??

The absorbing skill was also used in Episode II, during the Yoda/Dooku battle.

4. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    He doesn't absorb them at all. He blocks and deflects them. If you look at the walls after Han's done shooting, you can see burn marks and holes where the shots ricochet and hit.

edit: spelling.

5. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    [image=http://206.190.141.94/covers/11/11564.jpg]

If you click on the picture and see the larger version, Vader deflects a blaster shot with his glove.

I know it's EU, but it still supports what DDH just said ;)

6. Coligeon

Coligeon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 20, 2002
    I always thought it was a mixture of both. Just because AoTC has it, doesn't mean Vader can do it. It's Yoda, come on ^_^. So that is still kind of in the fog IMO. We don't know just how powerfull Vader is by Ep3. Like I was saying though, I think it had to do with both. It would be pretty lame if Vader just used his gloves, I mean, how powerful is that?

7. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I've always thought it was because he has a fake hand, the blaster doesn't do any damage to metal, so he doesn't really absorb it, it just kinda goes away.

8. Darth_Tarpals

Darth_Tarpals Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Add a lot of grunting, and crappy dialogue to that picture, and you have an episode of DBZ.

9. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
  10. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    I always thought he kind of force-deflected Han's blast. I believe there is a laser blast off to the side on one of the walls after he does this. If he "absorbed" it, wouldn't this fry his robotic hand/arms a bit?

11. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I've always thought it was because he has a fake hand, the blaster doesn't do any damage to metal, so he doesn't really absorb it, it just kinda goes away.

That's what I thought for a while, but it appears that he uses his other hand to block the last shot.

12. jedi_quinn

Apr 10, 2002
    Thanks for the info guys. I must admit I didn't expect you to take the "absorbing" bit so seriously, i was just a way of identifying the scene and what he might have done :).

Thanks for the link ViariSkywalker, and the link within that link(!) I will re-post here cos it is cool.
    See:here

13. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I agree.

14. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Glad to be of help! :D

15. Swedish_Jedi

Swedish_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    AAAAAARRRGG, many have asked this question (or something like this question). It was not hiting the hand, Think about Yoda in AOTC, and if u read the sw-magazines, the episode with the yncorians.

16. jedi_quinn

Apr 10, 2002
    err..I don't read the SW magazines. please fill me in....

Different points of view have com efrom this thread, so it can't be that obvious.....please enlighten us.

17. Chronoleviathan

Chronoleviathan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    All Vader is doing is using Force Push to deflect the bullets

18. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Except they aren't bullets. They're laser pulses or some other form of energy. (I don't know precisely what Lucas claims they are.) I don't think the same trick Maul used to throw Obi-Wan in that pit works on blaster bolts.

19. LordOfTetris

LordOfTetris Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    I think in Star Wars, you have to have a certain attitude of believing the fantasy elements. Like Lodoss War and other fantasy stories, in which old wizards who could simply live through being shot with lightning just because they CAN, Vader can block laser bolts with his hand, simply because he CAN.

Putting too much science into this is going to turn it into Star Trek, and Episode 3's last scene is going to be a 30-minute talk on how Vader's suit works.

20. LordOfTetris

LordOfTetris Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    But I always figured that Vader blocked with his hand, and since he has robot hands, he just got a new hand afterwards.\

It's conventional and makes sense.

21. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    But there would have been no way for him to duel with Luke immediately afterwards. Plus, why would he waste good hands like that? :p

22. Darth_Tarpals

Darth_Tarpals Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Darth Vader, and his magical suitcase full of random body parts.

23. jedi_quinn

Apr 10, 2002
    I always thought Anakins new hand at the end of AOTC to be ridiculous. I mean he can't have that hand in Ep3. It would look stupid. I found it hard to believe that the technology in the PT was significantly different to the era of the OT. If anything, the rebels equipment would be old stuff scavenged from various places.
    I think we will see Anakin with a normal hand like Luke in EP3, so maybe he keeps his big silver hand as a "spare" :D

24. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Either technology really did advance between trilogies, or maybe Anakin just didn't have synthetic skin yet? I dunno....

25. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Yes this ability was described in the EU.To be precise a book called I,Jedi by Mike Stackpole.Its is described as being "energy absorption" and Corran(the main character)used this ability during his studies to become a Jedi on Yavin 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.