main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vaders' blaster absorbing hand..

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jedi_quinn, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I've always believed he just deflected the laser blasts.

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Salty, it sounds like you'd believe just about anything :p

(BTW, still working on those LD pics of Luke under Bespin)

3. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    All 5 movies thus far are open to many interpretations. I try not to discount anyone's opinion unless it's so completely off the wall that I can't justify accepting it. With that being said, I have always believed the shots were deflected and not absorbed.

4. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Sorry, Salty.

Everyone's being so serious today. I must need bigger emoticons?

5. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Nah, it's ok. I wasn't blasting you. There are many on these boards that only accept their own opinions. That's the last way I want to be perceived. I try to keep an open mind to what people are saying.

:)

6. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    General Kenobi, I can never find anywhere the bolts were deflected. They look like they got absorbed. Help me out here.

7. son-of-skywalker13

son-of-skywalker13 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 27, 2002
    deflecting and absorbing things using the force is not something limited to yoda. deflecting lightning isnt even limited to yoda. In ROTJ luke deflects the emporers lightning (albeit ver poorly) for a while until it becomes too much for him. It is extremely possible and very probable thatvader either absorbed or deflected the laser with the force

i for one think it was absorbed

8. jedi_quinn

jedi_quinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Wow! Yet again this thread has been resurrected.

My only popular thread ever. Enjoy.

9. JediHunterCommand

JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    I'm pretty sure it's deflection.

One of my parent's friends, before ESB even came out, predicted that scene precisely -- he said that Vader would simply hold up his hand and deflect the shot. This is when ANH was the only movie, Yoda had barely been concieved of, and Vader was still the only Dark Side force user the world knew of.

I, Jedi doesn't quite get it right; Luke says that it was absorbtion and telekinesis using the energy, but a) he wasn't there, and b) deflection followed by simple Force useage would have the same result.

10. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    I always thought he deflected the blaster bolts, using either the Force, his armored suit, or a combination of the two. As others have said, you can see the shots rebounding off his hands, as well as blast marks on the wall when the camera switches to behind Vader.

11. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    According to the novelisation of The Empire Strikes Back it says that Vader lifted a gauntlet protected hand and deflected them so they exploded against the walls.

Sounds like it was armour that protected him, though I think he would have used the Force to help him place his hands in the right places to deflect them. The same way a Jedi uses the Force to deflect a blaster bolt using his lightsaber.

12. C-Bjedi

C-Bjedi Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2003
    Methinks you are right Delorean_Kenobi.

13. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    [image=http://www.jedinet.com/multimedia/gallery/Original_Trilogy/Characters/Darth_Vader/vader_055.jpg]

14. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Nice pic, but it's the wrong angle, and really doesn't address any of the points here. :(

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Looks like I get to disagree with MeBeJedi. *snicker* *snicker*

The pic shows that Vader's hand wasn't held at the correct angle to deflect the shot the way it did. If the shot was just bouncing off his armored glove, it should have been deflected downward where it would have gone into the table. Ergo, Vader must have used the Force.

16. DEEPBLUE

DEEPBLUE Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2003
    - Vader's hand wasn't held at the correct angle to deflect the shot the way it did. -

this assumes that the shots -were- deflected. while scorch marks do appear on the walls afterwards, a close look at the actual moment of contact with darth vader shows no deflection. similarly, the resulting explosion from the impact argues against absorption as well. the energy of the laser is transmuted to an electrical discharge. this could be the result of either using the force or a defense mechanism built into the suit, or a combination of both.

the resulting sparks of this energy transference could have resulted in the scorch marks on the walls, since the discharges covered several square feet of space, and the sparks were released in random directions.

17. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I think he uses the FORCE to deflect the bolts and they shoot off of to hit the walls. Some of the energy might have been absorbed, but I think a robotic hand would have been blown apart if it was to just "reach out and grab the laser blast". The FORCE is all-powerful and in the hands of Darth Vader...why couldn't he deflect laser bolts?

18. DEEPBLUE

Mar 26, 2003
    - why couldn't he deflect laser bolts? -

i did not question his -ability- to deflect laser bolts. i merely stated that we do not -see- the deflection of laser bolts in the movie.

19. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    Everytime I see that scene, it looks like Vader absorbs the blaster bolts.

20. DEEPBLUE

Mar 26, 2003
    whether or not absorption occurs to any extent, a great deal of electrical resistance occurs in these scenes.

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    He definitely uses the Force to absorb them.

22. DEEPBLUE

Mar 26, 2003
  23. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I always figured Vader was just blocking the shots with the force by creating a kind of force wall right in front of him, which is pretty cool I think

24. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    It appears that Vader delects some blasts and aborbs others. In my opinion all by using the Force.

Several shots were fired by Han, but evidence exists that only one shot was deflected - the burn mark on the wall. Vader also uses his other hand, which I believe it still flesh and blood. That disproves the theory that it was his robotic hand that deflected/absorbed the shots from Han.

25. darth-skycrawler

darth-skycrawler Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2001
    Vader can see the future, strangle people with his mind, tear apart, metal and discover a rebel base by looking at a picture of the planet. Yet people here do not seem to believe that he can block a blaster bolth with his hand. This is surely not logical thinking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.