Vader's fashion of killing and torturing.,

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Master_Mace_Windows, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Knight

star 1
    Do you notice that Vader's way to torture or kill people are always featuring his desires of revenge towards ObiWan?

1.-He had Luke's family killed to get the plans.
    Like he watched his mother killed.

2.- He loves to choke officers and torture them with not being able to breath.
    Like he at times inside that suit.

3.- He likes to take off limbs, as seen in ESB.
    Like he was stripped of all of them.

4.- He also likes to cut people in two "as seen in ANH"
    Like he was left a measly torso.

3a.- Even as Anakin he likes to take revenge for deeds done to him, as seen in III when he cuts Dooku's hands in revenge for him having taken his arm.

It is with mentality like:

*YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ME A BIT, WANT TO KNOW MY FATE?! HAVE IT HERE! *chokes/slashes/cuts limb*

I just became aware of this. Surely these boards made me observant.

:eek:
  2. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm going to look at each point.
    Your Thesis: All of Vader's torture methods are in a response to Obi-Wan.
    1. Vader didn't order that the family be killed, and he surely didn't know his son was down there. He simply told them to get the plans, they use whatever methods they need to. This actually has nothing to do with Vader and even less with Obi-Wan. Kenobi never killed Shimi.
    2. Valid point, interesting connection. However, lets remember that he choked Padme before he ever had breathing problems. So that seems to suggest that the two aren't related.
    3. He did remove Luke's hand but that just seemed to be the natural flow of the fight. Count Dooku was the first one to remove his limb, Kenobi just finished the job. EU also suggests that Sidious removes the Vader limbs in fits of rage.
    4. This is probably the point I can most agree with. It is a very interesting cycle for Kenobi. Obi-Wan chopped Maul in half, and the end he also falls to that fate.
    5. That point has nothing to do with Obi-Wan and so nothing to do with your thesis but still a true statement.

Yes, these boards make us observe the films more closely.

-Seldon
  3. Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Knight

star 1
    No wait, oh yes, the first does not apply...I acknowledge. Wrong of me to relate them ALL with OB1, but I think you can get it. :p ;;
  4. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i think he had breathing issues. seriously, 'take a deep breath', 'i can't breathe' - both AOTC.

on the whole i think it's subtle revenge (well, or not so subtle) to choke people when you have breathing issues. and there's nothing they can do, too. very vicious.
  5. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    It is possible he doesn't even realize what he is doing. The fact that he chokes those who can breathe, he may not even see the connections. I would find that very interesting.

-Seldon
  6. Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Master

star 4
    I think Darth Boba or somebody on the boards here had a theory that Vader's chosen method of private killing could be self-punishment for how he killed Padme... (I didn't agree, but I thought it was an interesting concept.)

I think it's a bit ironic to consider that Vader is probably one of the least trigger-happy members of the Empire. He kills without hesitation, sure, but not needlessly. His manner isn't like Tarkin's cold cruelty or the Emperor's viscious sadism. He does what he feels needs to be done to scare the population into compliance and doesn't go so far as to spark rebellion by being excessive. For the most part, he's probably the one who understands best how to rule through fear without pushing Imperial citizens over the edge. I do believe he was actually against Tarkin's decision to blow up Alderaan in the radio drama, anyway.
  7. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    As Kenobi says "he is more machine now." Vader operates his fleet very much like a computer. Those who are unable to handle their jobs are seen as a virus to the system which needs to be eliminated. Any flaw, any glitch is destroyed.

-Seldon

Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.