main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vaders just an old friend...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by ScottAlmighty, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottAlmighty

ScottAlmighty Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Have you ever had an old friend, who you didn't see in a while, and when you finally met back up with him, he had kind of changed his identity or persona a little? Let's say his name was Steven, but now how goes by Steve-O. Most people would have a tendancy to continue to call him Steven, because that's how they always knew him, am I correct? Okay...

Now that there are prequels, and we have been steadily introduced to Anakin Skywalker...after you've seen episode 3, and the whole thing is no longer two trilogies, but one saga...will you be able to look at Vader in E4, E5, and E6 as Vader...or will you have that tendency to call him Anakin?

2. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    Good question. I'll still call him DV. For a long long time I even referred to Anakin at the end of ROTJ as DV.

I am finding myself looking at the OT characters from a different perspective, and a somewhat sad one.

3. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Most people call Leia "Princess Leia" because thats how they were first introduced to her.

The public at large still refers to Padme as "Queen Amidala" even though shes not a queen anymore. You say "padme" to a non-fan, and they cant figure out who youre talking about.

"Count Dooku" was just a guise, so that no one would know his true name, "Darth Tyrannus." Now that the secrets out, episode3 will probably always refer to him as "darth Tyrannus". But we'll still call him "Dooku", since thats how we first came to know him, thats who he is to us.

The Weenie, refers to Sidious in the prequels as "The Emperor" all the time. He also refers to Episode 4 as "Star Wars." Never as "A new Hope."

He knows many people who still refer to Obi-Wan as "Ben".

4. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

As well as the fact that we were introduced to Vader as Vader, there is also the element that they are two very different people.

The evil side will always be known as Vader and his PT life as Anakin. In the time of the OT, Anakin is dead.

5. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    Totally.

Also, Anakin becomes Vader before he gets the injuries and dons the armor. But we always say things like "when Anakin turns into Vader" refering to him in the black suit vs. him without it. We say things like, "Obi-Wan pushes Anakin into the lava." When in fact, in all probability, it should be Vader that falls into the lava.

6. QuiGonTim

QuiGonTim Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    So , like when David Banner becomes the HULK, you could still correctly refer to him as David, but nobody would, cuz lets face it when you see the Hulk you think Hulk.

7. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    Hahaha!

This is a good thread, loosely involving the psychology of the human brain, and above is the prime example. Check this post above out! ^^^^

Its Bruce. Bruce Banner. That is the name of the scientist who turns into the Hulk.

In the 70's, Hollywood execs (curse them) made the decision that "Bruce" was a gay guy's name. So, when adapting the Hulk to television, they changed his name to David. So, when your freind and the Weenie's, Qui-Gon-Tim, goes to the theater this summer to watch the Hulk movie, he'll be sitting there saying, "Hey, they changed David Banner's name!" When in actuality, he was Bruce all along, Qui-Gon-Tim, first knew him as David, and will probably always think of him as "David."

:D

8. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    And in answer, QuiGonTim, the Weenie doesnt think that applies at all. BRUCE ( :D ) Banner and the Hulk are different in appearance and character.

What the Weenie meant was, that Anakin will look like a normal human for some of the time that he actually IS Darth Vader. Anakin was seduced by the darkside of the force. When that happened, the man who was Anakin Skywalker died, and became Darth Vader. But in our minds, if he looks like Anakin, talks like Anakin, and whines like Anakin, we'll probably still call him Anakin, when in actuality, he may indeed be Darth Vader.

Get it?

Hulk and Banner are different in appearance and character.

Anakin and Vader may be the same in appearance, and different in character.

9. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    or will you have that tendency to call him Anakin?

I watched ROTJ last night, and I admit I started thinking of him as Anakin when Luke tries to turn him back to the good side before they see the Emperor.

When Luke says "I have accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker..." it sent a shock through me. And after the discussion, when Vader steps to the railing and the conflict within him is obvious, then I definitely started to see him as Anakin. But only then.

That's one part of the OT that the PT has enhanced IMO.

10. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    The whole point is that its hard to change your mind when youve thought of someone a certain way for so long.

Looks like Darth_Banal has accepted the truth. ^^^^ :D

11. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Hmmm. I get what yer sayin Weenie but doesn't it work in reverse a little too?

Not so much in TPM, but in AotC, I find myself thinking of Anakin as 'Vader' quite frequently. Call it the gift of foresight, I dunno. Especially when he's got a mood on, but even in the other scenes, like the fireside scene.

I tend not to think of him as Anakin who will become Vader but more Vader who was Anakin.
    That make sense?

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    ...Actually that wasnt the reverse of what Mr. Weenster was saying. Thats exactly what his royal weenusness was saying.

13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I won't close this thread, but I think it would be even better suites in the Saga forum.

Personally I can still separate between Vader and Anakin, I think it will depend on ep.III how I will continue. Will we see Anakin turn Sith before he gets the suite? That will complicate things.

14. ScottAlmighty

ScottAlmighty Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I didn't put it in saga because Saga isn't that big...that's all...lol...

You can relocate it if you want...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.