main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader's "NOOOOO" when he hears he "killed" Padme

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jtran10, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtran10

jtran10 Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    Did anyone else get annoyed by this part of the movie. I felt the scream was way too Hollywood and something better could have been put in here. For me it took away from the dark mood of having Vadar in his suit finally on screen. Anyone else feel this way?

2. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    The "NOOO!" was fine, IMO.

3. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    It's VadEr

4. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    well, yeah, it's cheesy, but this is george lucas we're working with here. :p

basically i took it as a reflection, or echo if you will of luke's scream when he finds out that vader is his father. plus, he's born the same time that the iconic "vader" is. it all makes sense.

5. miDnIghtEr20C

miDnIghtEr20C Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 21, 1999
    I for one thought it was the same "NO" we hear in AOTC, when Anakin goes off on the Tuskens and Yoda hears all that while meditating. Didn't they say that that part had something to do in the future with episode 3? IMO

6. spymacfan

spymacfan Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    i totally agree with you on this, simply becuase this "noooo" was not very vaderish.

7. deadjedi_willbe

deadjedi_willbe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2003
    It wasn't that bad. Some people will bitch about every little detail.

8. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
    [image=http://luna.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/bill_m_lifecover.jpg]

9. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    I thought it was fine...and I loved him asking about Padme.

10. tee4jc85

tee4jc85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    I just thought it was cool to actually hear Vader say the name 'Padme' or ask questions like 'is she safe'...those words just DONT come out of the vader mask...ever. and it did. I thought that was cool.

I honestly thought he didnt seem as upset as he should (personally). it was like 'whaa? shes dead? NOOOO!..alright lets get back to work'

that woman was his LIFE. He did everything for her, and he moaned about it for what 5 minutes? There should have been some more there

11. elsporko

elsporko Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Yes during that scene nothing Vader says is really in the same "style" as in the later films, but remember those films take place many years later so Vader more then likly changed as he got older.

12. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    it was fine. the vocals could have been effected a bit more to seem darker and meaner, but hey. it was vader screaming.

maybe not JEJ best performance. but i still loved it.

FF

13. Darth_Love

Darth_Love Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2001

I think I was too distracted by the IV bag popping in the scene leading into this to notice... buut it worked for me!

14. Darth_Sideous

Darth_Sideous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    I thought it was fine...and I loved him asking about Padme.

Yeah, hearing suited Vader ask about Padme was very cool. As far as the "Nooo", I thought it was ok. I thought his body language was a little odd - kind of bending backwards when he screams it. But it was alright.

Seeing him writhe in pain while on the operating table, and the look on his face when the mask is coming down - that was done very well. No bacta healing, nothing for the pain... that was surprising. And the first steps on his new legs were pretty cool, too.

15. matt_wendling

matt_wendling Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2002
    This "NOOOOO" was identical to when Vader learned that his lightsaber is powered by SuperVolt batteries, instead of Energizer. See the link below:
    http://www.mastersoftheforce.com/ep456/videos/bunnyVader.avi

16. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I'd heard a lot about it before seeing it and when I saw it, what I thought that the problem was not in Vader's "Noooooo" but in the fact that we MISSED the point that Lucas was making. The "Noooo" is not meant to be a "no" of shock or horror, but a more of a conceded defeat. It's almost as though he should be choking up with tears as he's yelling it "Noooo". He's saying "Nooo" because he's REALIZING that he was the reason that Padme died and it was all for nothing.

I would have actually liked it to be longer and I thought that he should have kept destroying stuff through it. That way we would hear one "Noooooo" but in that we would feel Anger, then denial, then acceptance and sadness. The way the "Noooo" is right now, all we hear is sadness without the anger.

17. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    The "NOOOOOOO", was the same one that Yoda hears when Anakin slaughters the Tuskins in AOTC, was it not?

18. DarthMagnet

DarthMagnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2003
    It was the timing that bothered me a little. It wouldn't have been so awkward if he yelled "NOOOOO" while he was braking out of the shackles.

19. miDnIghtEr20C

miDnIghtEr20C Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 21, 1999
    Thats what I think Bad Feeling.

20. Billie-D-Williams

Billie-D-Williams Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2001
    Like everyone else, I was a little unsure of how this was going to pan out, BUT after viewing it and thinking about what is really happening in that scene, it is perfectly acceptable. First off, we must realize that ,although JEJ is the voice, the man actually occupying the suit is the emotional and out-wordly acting Anakin Skywalker. Put his together with the facts:

-he was just surgically altered (rather painfully and almost aqainst his will as we saw) as part machine and shoved into a full body life-support suit
    -he just killed hundreds of Jedi (incl. children)
    -ended his friendship with Obiwan by trying to kill him
    -HE killed the one person he truly loved left alive
    -HE killed the mother of his child (and I am assuming he thinks the baby is also dead)
    -HE killed the ENTIRE reason he even joined the darkside
    -he was reluctant to even side with Sideous, but ONLY did so knowing he could save Padme, only to find out IMMEDIATELY after pledging his loyalty that "only one had the power to create life", NOT his new master

To this end, I say that the quick to act and quick to emote Anakin we have been watching grow up since TPM, AOTC, The CWC, and the novels would have indeed screamed "NOOOOOOOO". I do think he should have fallen to his knees first though to add that extra emotion.

As far his coming off of the table and being awkward, the guys JUST had two mechanical legs inserted into his knees after almost dying on an ash beach of fire. I thought this scene would be alluded to the fact that it takes place over atleast a few days, but I got the impression that it was a single day. So I can TOTALLY buy his stunbling to walk. He was 20 years to learn to be smooth and steady.

As a side note: I wish we could have seen a little more out of Vader in his rage.

I really hate how quick everyone has been to trash this sequence of events. What are you thoughts now?...

21. JarJarIsBoba

JarJarIsBoba Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    So, describe to me what a non-Hollywood "NOOOOOOO!!!!" would be or give an example of one.

22. DINVADER99

DINVADER99 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2004
    Some guy on another forum insists JEJ did not do Vader's voice. I thought it sounded exactly like JEJ. Rick M told Starlog this month that Jones recorded those lines in less than a day.

23. cheese_boy

cheese_boy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2003
    I thought it was excellently done, if spoiled slightly by all the complaining about it. I was dreading the moment, but loved it.

24. DarthIntimidus

DarthIntimidus Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 8, 2003
    For months we read spoilers that Vader goes berserk, destroys the whole room in his rage, even Palpatine has to cower from him - and as it ends up, he just busts a couple droids. :eek: :eek:

The scene was OK, but Vader's rage was way underdone.

25. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    I'm with Blillei on this one. The scream was in character, IMHO.

Still, lkie others have said, it was just scary to hear Vader asking about Padme. [face_worried]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.