main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader's "NOOOOO" when he hears he "killed" Padme

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jtran10, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005

I disagree. I didn't like it because it "wasn't Vader." I loved the fact that he was just a pathetic crippled man in a suit. The aim was perfect, but the delivery wasn't.

2. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2005
    That's fair. If that scene was exactly what GL wanted, that's his choice. But as individual moviegoers, each will have their own opinion on how well that choice worked. I don't know if my idea would work; but it's interesting to imagine different ways for this scene to get the same point across.

3. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    I don't blindly agree with GL. I wish he'd restore the Lost 20 in AOTC, and include more discussion of the twins and the Sith in ROTS. I also wish he'd put QG in ROTS. And I'd wish we see C3PO talking away as usual before Bail orders that C3PO to have his memory erased. Just for Bail to say that out of the blue seems cruel--and to do so after ordering that the droids be treated well.

I'm glad Vader came off to you as a *****.

4. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    I've always liked the way he yells "NOOOOOOO!" :)

5. PrinceEspaaValorum

Jan 30, 2005
    You must be one of us who "blindly follows Lucas.:)

6. WEEBACCA

Mar 4, 2004
    No seriously, I never had any problems with it the first time I saw the movie nor the 15th time. I don't see why so many people have problems with that line???

7. PrinceEspaaValorum

Jan 30, 2005
    15 times? Wow. Does that include DVD? I saw it 5 times at the theater, none on DVD yet.

The friend with whom I saw it the first time liked the film, the only one of the PT he liked, but he did not like the "No!" I've met a few other since then. What is pathetic is their rendering of "No!" And I get the impression their responses are not spontaneous. I suspect they came across criticisms of this scene on the internet.

8. WEEBACCA

Mar 4, 2004
    13 times in a theater, 2 times on DVD. But there are other people around these forums who has seen it more than 50 times after all, so it's not that impressive. ;)

What exactly do you mean by "rendering of NO!" and critisism on the net? Is that line changed from the theatrical release to the DVD version? :confused:

9. Masterlucas

Masterlucas Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2002
    This of course is your opinion and you're entitled to it. If this was the end of the saga then I might agree with you, but its not. We have plenty of choking and bad a$$ behavior from Vader in the OT. This scene was as much the death of Anakin as it was the birth of Vader. After this last bit of turmoil he is free to be the dark lord we all know and love. But that story has already been told in the OT.

10. WEEBACCA

Mar 4, 2004
    I agree. This is a powerful scene because it shows Darth Vader (still much Anakin here IMO) realising what he has done and what he has to live with forever. All that pain. It's all summed up in that "NOOOOOOOOOO!".
    Twenty years later in ANH he's hardened and evil like we know him to be. All those years in pain and focusing on the Dark side has turned him into what we see in ANH: an evil machine...

11. PrinceEspaaValorum

Jan 30, 2005
    No. I mean that here and perhaps other SW fanboy sites (MF, Galactic Senate, Episode-X), ther is this debate about the quality of this scene. Though my friends and acquaintances do not post, I am sure from talking to them that they have perused these sites occasionally. So, when they criticize this scene, they do not sound spontaneous at all, but like they are regurgitating what they have read. They all say, "I loved ROTS. The only prequel that was good.... But I hated it when Vader [then they mock his actions and stance] walks like Frankenstein and says, 'NOOOOOOOOOOO!'"

12. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005

And I agree with you. Think of the people watching the movies one through six. It's more believable to see the pathetic Vader let out a cry of turmoil, than "bad" Vader choke a few people. This is how someone who loved Padme would react to her death and this is what that particular moment focused on.

13. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    The Darth Vader (formerly known as Anakin Skywalker) we see on Mustafar sheds a tear for what he has done to the Trade Federation leadership and the Younglings in the Temple. His humanity was in the final stages of being fully driven from him. He was in the process of being swallowed by the Dark Side, its power relentlessly consuming him, the little boy who became a Jedi was washed away like a sand castle in the presence of the relentless pounding incoming high tide.

Palpatine may or may not know the real truth behind Padme's death. But the Emperor definitely knows the mind of his young apprentice. To fully turn him, to unleash the limited dark powers that he is capable of, even after his humiliating emaciation, Vader must be led to believe that he killed his beloved wife. Hence the wry smile on Palpatine's pasty, wrinkled face as Vader breaks free of his restraints, stumbles awkwardly forward and painfully, soulfully erupts in a cry of wonton and regretful agony.

The 'Noooo' seems silly to those who stereotype Vader as the character we know an hate in the OT. THIS newly minted Vader is not that character -- not yet! The desperate, woeful cry that Vader unleashes represents the last vestiges of humanity fleeing from the fading embers of his emotionally vanquished Jedi soul. As the helmet physically entombed Anakin in Vader's imposing armor, the 'Noooo' emotionally entombed him in Palpatines evil clutches. Anakin's failure was now complete, as was Palpatine's success.

As with Padme, so with Anakin. Both are dead -- one literally, the other symbolically.

14. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    I agree with you. The reasons behind the "Noo" are more than enough.

15. PrinceEspaaValorum

Jan 30, 2005
    Well said.

16. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    Obi Chron - I, as part of the lunatic fringe who wants to let George make his story his way, thank you for finding the words of why Vader's noooooo is exactly right. The tragedy of Darth Vader.

17. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    But why, WHY add the lame melo drama? The kneeling is killing me. The way he looks up and streches out his arms...

18. PrinceEspaaValorum

Jan 30, 2005
    Well, that one is easy to explain. Just how well do you think he could walk, anyway? Lost his legs, been out for how long, now he's in this suit that is significantly larger, "legs" included, than his original body--let alone what he's left with. He probably would have buckled anyway. As it stands, he uses the Force to free himself, is trembling with emotion, and down he goes. So then he throws his hands up in despair. He's physically and emotionally helpless.

19. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    yep - if you have or have ever witnessed another's devastation at an irreplaceable loss of the most important person(s) in your life, it can manifest itself physically into something very close to a paralysis or even a loss of consciousness/fainting away if you will. If you are so fortunate to never experience such a loss, how lucky you are.

and Vader lost even more. And there is no hope to ever, ever have any of what he loved part of his existence. And he's just discovered it's his fault.
    So..... now Luke and A New Hope..well, we know it's out there, but he doesn't.

20. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    Yes yes, I know *why* he did, and I understand the concept perfectly well too. I don't want to have to repeat myself, but it was horrible delivery...There was nothing wrong as to why the line was there, or why he would act that way. Just how it looked was melo dramatic and over the top. I guess that's just my take on it.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Don't mistake my comments as "blindly following Lucas". I refer to anyone in general who has had some form of creativity. If you truly feel that your work is good enough, despite what others think, then you shouldn't change it if you don't agree with them. That's why I say what I said. That's why I take issue with those who say, "I wouldn't do that because it's lame." or "I don't know why he did it that way, it's stupid." I can understanding expressing that you disliked it. I can't understand why people say that they would've done it this way or that way.

As to melo drama, that's a lot of what Star Wars is. Lame melo drama.

22. PrinceEspaaValorum

Jan 30, 2005
    You needn't repeat yourself. We both agree that we think the principle and the function of the scene is appropriate, perhaps even necessary. We disagree in that I think the way it was actually expressed was appropriate, whereas you do not think so. My previous argument is meant to show that I think the 'lame' way GL took is not 'lame.' The awkwardness of the scene in both content and form is appropriate.

23. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005

Why would there need to be an awkwardness in there that makes the people behind the scene look bad?

24. PrinceEspaaValorum

Jan 30, 2005
    Let's say you and I are together in public (and that this is not awkward for you to begin with :)). I know that someone close to me is deathly sick, but I am with instead. Then I get the call on the cell that this person close to me is dead. I could have at least spent those last moments with her. I buckle to my knees and cry out in anguish, "NOOOOOOO!!!!" Perhaps I don't raise my arms up. Instead, to prevent myself from total collapse, I put my palms on the floor, making it look like I am bowing. Or I do collapse, and I am a sobbling blob of flesh on the ground. Some who don't know me may feel empathy. Others might be embarrassed. GEN X too superficial and licking wounds over their single mothers' not allowing them to play Nintendo as well as kids too young to understand my laugh. Sound kinda awkward, doesn't it? And I am not the Chosen One tragically fallen, nor the baddest ass villain in history deconstructed.

Sure, GL could have made the moment more operatic, or classical, but I think the awkwardness works.

25. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Vader's NOOOOOOOOOOOO rocks out...you really get to feel Anakin's pain under the mask...you get to blend the two together finally...that was one of the all time best Vader scenes in the saga...it was AWESOME!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.