main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vaders status in ESB and ROTJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Evil_Billaba, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil_Billaba

Evil_Billaba Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    is his status upped in these two movies becuase as far as the commentary gots in ANH he is just another minion of the empire with no ranking did this change in the other movies or is he still considered just another minion?

2. DARTHMAGI

DARTHMAGI Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    His ranking seemed to ahve changed according to his popularity at the time

3. Vaders-Apprentice

Vaders-Apprentice Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2004
    I always took it that Vader has no official ranking, he is simply Palpatines right hand man, second to no one but Palps himself. Yet he seems to be under Tarkin aboard the Death Star for some reason or the other.

4. SixEagle

SixEagle Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, his service to Tarkin doesn't make any sense, especially after seeing the interaction with Dooku (apprentice) and Grevious (military leader) in ep. 3

5. Jedi_Master_Luego

Jedi_Master_Luego Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    I never really saw it as Vader serving under Tarkin. The way they talk to eachother they seem more like equals or maybe even friends.

6. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    I agree. They seem like friends.
    The only scene in which Tarkin gives Vader an advise is when he forcechokes Motti.
    But then again, Motti was a subordinate of Tarkin, and maybe he needed him.
    The Death Star was Tarkin's project, and Vader was just there to "enourage" the troops aboard, as he did on Death Star 2 three years later.

7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The way I've always seen it is this,
    Before ANH the ranking was,
    Emperor Palpatine-Ruler of the empire, most powerful.
    Grand Moff Tarkin- The man who had the Death Star built, therefore due to that contribution he is seen as second in command.
    Darth Vader- Especially when on the Death Star, he had to remain humble before Tarkin.

After Tarkin dies, Vader becomes second in command in all aspects.

Palpatine built the empire, so he is in charge.
    Tarkin really kept the empire and made it stronger with the Death Star.
    Vader helped eliminate the Jedi and is a good military mind.

-Seldon

8. TheVampireArmand

TheVampireArmand Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    i think Tarkin must have 'borrowed' Vader from Palpy for the operational debut of the Death Star. Plus, they needed all the help they could get with the missing plans crisis.
    When Leia said "I expected to find you holding Vader's leash" it does give the impression that Vader was 'borrowed' by a lot of high ranking Imperials like Grand Moff Tarkin, but whilst he didnt take orders from them, he worked WITH them on imperial projects/important events.
    Tarkin is rather arrogant, barking orders at Vader, so looks like he took the 'leash holding' of Vader a little too literally.
    "TERMINATE HER, IMMEDIATLY!"
    But wasnt GL's original character analysis of Tarkin that of a man who himself plans to overthrow Palpatine and become Emperor?

9. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    This has been mentioned before. A Grand Moff answers directly to the Emperor, and so does Vader.

I think even Lucas himself mentions them being on an equal level on the DVD comentary. There wasn't really a clear second in command at any time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.