main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Vader's thoughts on the destruction of Alderaan.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by enigmaticjedi, Aug 6, 2015.

1. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Did he support Tarkin's decision? Was he indifferent to it? Did he dislike it? Would he come up with the idea if Tarkin had not?

What do you think?

2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I think at that point in time Vader was fairly indifferent about that type of thing. If it advanced the cause, good. If not, he wouldn't care either way.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    He clearly didn't object.

DBPirate and Saga Explorer like this.
  4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think he was above it.
    He knew it wouldn't help get the information, but he knew it was something a bully like Tarkin just had to do. It was a base act by Muggle (or whatever you call someone without the Force running through them).

He knew better, he would succeed with his own plans. No point arguing in front of a prisoner. Not point making an enemy out of Tarkin.

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think the main thing Vader would have disliked was that he knew it wouldn't work. It was a waste of time.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Death Star portrays Vader in a much less disapproving light than The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader (copying from the ANH radio play) did:

Death Star
    "I think it's time we demonstrated the full power of this station," Tarkin said. He looked back at his officer. "Set your course for Alderaan."
    The man mumbled something and left, but Tarkin was already thinking ahead. If Princess Leia was a thorn in the Empire's side, then Alderaan was a forest of thorns.
    Well, it was time to purge that forest. With fire.
    Tagge started to say something but apparently thought better of it. Tarkin smiled almost benignly and said, "I understand your concerns, General. Rest assured I've spoken with Emperor Palpatine recently about demonstrating his battle station's range and strength. He has assured me that I have full rein to do so." He looked at Vader. "You disapprove, Lord Vader?"
    "Not at all, Governor."

The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader:

"I think it's time we demonstrated the full power of this station," Tarkin said. Turning to Motti, he commanded, "Set your course for Alderaan."
    "With pleasure," Motti replied with an evil smile.
    Realizing what Tarkin intended, Vader surveyed the man with new respect. The Dark Lord had done many horrendous and unpardonable things, but it seemed that Tarkin- at least in this situation- was even more diabolically inventive. However, Vader had one problem with Tarkin's scheme. "Alderaan is one of the foremost of the inner systems," Vader said. "The Emperor should be consulted."
    "Do not think to challenge me!" Tarkin snapped. "You are not confronting Tagge or Motti now! The Emperor has placed me in charge of this affair with a free hand, and the decision is mine! And you will have your information that much sooner."
    Vader had long suspected that Grand Moff Tarkin was insane, but it was not until Tarkin had addressed him just then, without a trace of fear, that Vader was left without a doubt. Vader said "If your plan serves our purpose, it will justify itself."
    "The stability of the Empire is at stake," Tarkin said. "A planet is a small price to pay."

Vader's thoughts in the aftermath of Alderaan's destruction (ANH novelization):

Vader stared at the motley array of stars displayed on the conference-room map while Tarkin and Admiral Motti conferred nearby. Interestingly, the first use of the most powerful destructive machine ever constructed had seemingly had no influence at all on that map, which in itself represented only a tiny fraction of this section of one modest-sized galaxy.
    It would take a microbreakdown of a portion of this map to reveal a slight reduction in spatial mass, caused by the disappearance of Alderaan. Alderaan, with its many cities, farms, factories, and towns -- and traitors, Vader reminded himself.
    Despite his advances and intricate technological methods of annihilation, the actions of mankind remained unnoticeable to an uncaring, unimaginably vast universe. If Vader's grandest plans ever came to pass, all that would change.
    He was well aware that despite all their intelligence and drive, the vastness and wonder were lost on the two men who continued to chatter, monkeylike behind him. Tarkin and Motti were talented and ambitious, but they saw things only on the scale of human pettiness. It was a pity, Vader thought, that they did not possess the scope to match their abilities.
    Still, neither man was a Dark Lord. As such, little more could be expected of them. These two were useful now, and dangerous, but someday they, like Alderaan, would have to be swept aside. For now, he could not afford to ignore them. And while he would have preferred the company of equals, he had to admit reluctantly that at this point, he had no equals.

7. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I can't imagine with Vader being as connected to the force as he is that the destruction would've been a pleasant experience for him, darkside or not. But I agree with Yak Face, I think he just didn't care at this point. I think as long as it didn't get in the way of him doing what he wished, or the Emporer wished, he wasn't going to waste time objecting.

But deep down, I always kinda felt he somewhat, for a minute, felt a pang of sadness for Leia here. I don't know if I'm imagining it, but I swear that he has his hand on her shoulder when he screams out and cries. I like to believe that hand isn't just there to restrain her if she lashes out.

jc1138, Lt. Hija and GrimdarkRose like this.
  8. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I'm not sure he restrained her because he felt some sadness for her, it was just to keep her from beating Tarkin to a pulp for obliterating her planet.

If he put any thought to this, it was probably...
    “The Force can do in a second what your terror station took a minute to do.”
    and
    “This was a futile endeavor. It's possible all we did was stir the Rebellion to fight even harder.”

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

From The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader:

Released from her cell and brought to Grand Moff Tarkin in the Death Star control room, Princess Leia stood against Darth Vader's chest with her eyes fixed on a wide viewscreen that displayed the planet Alderaan. After Tarkin threatened to destroy her homeworld unless she revealed the location of the Rebel base, she told them that the Rebels were on Dantooine. However, Tarkin was determined to prove that the Empire was prepared to use the Death Star without the slightest provocation.
    There were billions of people on Alderaan, including Bail Organa, and they were all about to die. As the battle station's superlaser powered up, Vader felt the Princess quivering with fear.
    You brought this upon yourself, he thought.
    The green-beamed superlaser fired at Alderaan, blowing the entire world to oblivion.

10. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I got the feeling that Vader did not really support Tarkin's decision to destroy Alderaan. But I also got the feeling that he wasn't that invested in stopping the latter.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think only one thing went through his mind at the moment.

"Dammit, Wilhuff, Bail Organa still has my 007 Ultimate Collection box set."

Then he remembered that he could just bully Motti into ordering him the Blu-Ray version and thought, whatever, fire at will.

12. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Darth Vader: "Damn, Tarkin. You be cold, son!"

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Compassion is a weakness of the Jedi and Vader, at this point, is no longer a Jedi. To understand, we must also look at "The Siege Of Lothal."

KALLUS: "My Lord, our scans have indicated that the stolen shuttle has not attempted to leave the system."

VADER: "Fear has driven them to ground. There is a refugee camp the Rebels have provided aid to in the past."

KALLUS: "Yes, "Tarkintown" they call it. You suspect the Rebels are in hiding there?"

VADER: "No, but I want you to burn it. The compassion of the Rebels is a weakness. One we will exploit."

KALLUS: "Yes, my Lord."

Though not all of the residents were killed, Vader showed a willingness to do whatever it took to get the job done. To spread fear and show that the Empire is the absolute authority in the universe. To see Alderaan destroyed four years later, was nothing to him. It was insignificant. He was well and truly evil here.

14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005

it is interesting when the Falcon is captured he says "She may yet be of some use to us" after her death has already been signed off on by Tarkin.

15. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    He did object to it in the Star Wars radio drama

"Alderaan is one of the foremost of the inner systems, the Emperor should be consulted" -Vader

Lt. Hija likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I was speaking of the film where he doesn't.

17. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I know you were going by the movie.

I was just answering the question by pointing out he did the radio drama.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Which was later quoted in "The Rise & Fall Of Darth Vader". See above.

19. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Remember also that Tarkin and Vader were in a scramble because of the huge recent blunder of the Empire allowing the plans for their Death Star to fall into Rebel hands, which could potentially lead to the Empire's destruction. So with Leia in custody, and the destruction of Alderaan potentially resulting in her giving up the whereabouts of the Death Star plans, I think it was a no-brainer for Vader and Tarkin.

It's not like destroying planets throughout the galaxy was Vader and Tarkin's way of knocking down neighborhood mailboxes in their cool space station ride.

jc1138 likes this.
  20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    enigmaticjedi and Iron_lord like this.
  21. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I can see Vader objecting to it, as the ANH novelization lays out, but on purely cold-blooded utilitarian terms. Not really anything out of sympathy for the actual people living on that planet. By this point, he's much more political and sees statistics, not lives.

I don't think he felt anything emotional until he found out about Luke between ANH and ESB. Even when he's encountering Obi-Wan, he's ready to strike him down and even thinks he does right up until the end.

22. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    He was indifferent to it, for awhile all he can feel was anger and hate.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  23. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Was the destruction of Alderaan broadcast across the HoloNet as a piece of propaganda to demonstrate the consequences of a treacherous planet or does the Empire blame the Rebellion as in the old EU?

24. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I think he was emotionally dead. The only feelings he had when he wasn't totally indifferent were fits of hate and anger!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G530FZ mit Tapatalk

25. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015

Gesendet von meinem SM-G530FZ mit Tapatalk