main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader's true intentions

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Yoda_yo_mama, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoda_yo_mama

Yoda_yo_mama Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 18, 2002

In ROTJ did Vader really think he could use Luke to overthrow Palpatine?

I think he knew his time was running short as apprentice and the Emperor was going to get rid of him sooner or later.

After all he disposed of Dooku in favor of a new stronger appy ( Ep. III will clarify this)

I believe he wanted the Dark Side and the Empire to succeed so much he wanted Luke to replace him.

Any thoughts ?

2. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Vader's intentions: kill the Emperor, become the new Sith master, rule the galaxy and have Luke as apprentice

He knew the Emperor was auditioning Luke to replace him, but Vader was doing pretty much the same thing. I think he believed his relationship with Palpatine was coming to an end, and he would use Luke to help kill Palps.

The Emperor's intentions: have Vader and Luke fight, have one kill the other, take the winner as apprentice

3. data68

data68 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2003
    It's just a movie.

4. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    It's just a movie.

And you are in a movie forum. Your point?

I agree with the above. Vader's intentions were basically to usurp Palpatine and have Luke as his apprentice. I tend to agree with Steve Perry's intepretation of Vader in ESB - although Vader claims otherwise, I don't think he had any intention of killing Luke, whether it was because he saw his value as a tool of power or just as his son. In fact, Vader's eventual turmoil stems from the fact that Luke starts to become more to him than just a method of gaining in the bridge between ESB and ROTJ.

I always wondered what Palpatine's personal intentions were regarding his apprentices. The man had everything, after all, for what reason would he need a new one? Unless he planned on living forever, was it possible he was grooming someone to rule in his stead following his death, or are we to assume it was just another power play?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.