main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader's voice actor for ESB:SE Answered

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Also, the scene of the Super Star Destroyer hangar is just the second Death Star hangar from RotJ; it even has Moff Jerjerrod greeting Vader! I think the shots of the shuttle leaving Bespin and heading towards the SSD should be kept - along with the original line - but get rid of everything else.

2. Turkilma

Turkilma Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    I think the shots of the shuttle leaving Bespin and heading towards the SSD should be kept - along with the original line - but get rid of everything else.

Exactly !!!

But if they would keep the wide-shot with Vader heading towards the shuttle
    they even could make Vader say NOTHING at all in the prior shot.

They definitely should put the scene with Jerjerrod on the cutting room floor again !

I ´just don´t get why they decided to mess up JW´s brilliant score :mad: !

3. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    First off, the scene on the Super Star Destroyer IS new footage filmed for the special edition and is not lifted from ROTJ. I just examined all scenes of the Death Star hanger sequences with the SE and they ARE NOT the same. I doubt that they went to the trouble of getting the original Moff Jerjerrod to return for this brief cameo when you cannot even tell who the officer is that greets Vader. Have you ever stopped to think that this is standard Imperial protocol for the ranking officer to greet their superiors? Now, this sequence is out of place and un-needed in TESB due to the way it unceremoniously interrupts the flow of the action, but stop claiming that it is ROTJ footage when it is not! To claim that it is Moff Jerjerrod in that scene is silly, being based on his uniform I guess (all Imperial officers wear the same uniform!). He is overseeing Death Star 2's construction at this time, not flying around with Vader.

"But if they would keep the wide-shot with Vader heading towards the shuttle
    they even could make Vader say NOTHING at all in the prior shot"

My point exactly Turkilma! I like Vader walking to the shuttle which is already there waiting for him, as well as the shot of their ascent up to the command ship!

4. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    "First off, the scene on the Super Star Destroyer IS new footage filmed for the special edition and is not lifted from ROTJ."

I hate to burst your bubble, Darth Jamus, but No, it not new footage filmed for the Special Edition. It's called angles they didn't use from the shooting of ROTJ. Plain and simple.

"but stop claiming that it is ROTJ footage when it is not!"

Read my above statement. :D

5. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    Can you provide some proof of that? I just don't think it looks like it myself, but I am open to being wrong. :( ;)

6. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    EDIT:Nevermind,I had a Ric Ollie moment :p

7. Turkilma

Turkilma Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    I think the first shot of the Shuttle entering the hangar could be ALL SE.
    The ship looks (well made) CG in this shot.

But the last shot seems to be a different angle shot of the ROTJ scene.

It is Michael Pennington greeting Vader, that´s for sure.
    He has not even been cast as Jerjerrod (nor was this character created at all back in 1980) when TESB came out.

8. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    yes, what Turkilma said. I don't have concrete proof, Darth Jamus.
    But, because that is Moff Jerjerrod greeting Vader and it looks exactly like the second Death Star hangar, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the shot is an unused camera angle from ROTJ. :)

9. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    "I think the first shot of the Shuttle entering the hangar could be ALL SE.
    The ship looks (well made) CG in this shot"

The effects shot are new for certain. In comparing them with ROTJ, the overhead shots of the hanger are completely different, as are the foreground and angle of the shuttle itself. Obi-Wan2001, So I am not a rocket scientist OK! 8-}

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The overhead view of the hangar is all CGI, but is based on the DS2 docking bay so that the unused angle of Vader's arrival on the DS2 from ROTJ that they used would match up.

And it's definately ROTJ footage, since it is certainly Moff Jerjerrod you see meeting Vader.

11. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Someone over Jwfan.net posted an MP3 file of the voice without the background music:

ESB voice

Clearly JEJ's voice. :)

12. Gregatron

Gregatron Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    Okay...let's get this out of the way.

1. As has been confirmed, "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" is James Earl Jones' voice. The music has been removed and replaced to accomodate the next shot (see # 2 below). The "new" music comes from the "I am your father" scene("Rescue from Cloud City" track on the ESB SE CD set).

2. The next shot of Vader walking to the shuttle was a digital matte painting, with a stand-in (walking as if leading an Ewok parade) in the Vader costume.

3. When the shuttle approaches the Executor, the shuttle appears to be a CGI model. The Executor appears to be a reused element from earlier in the film (Star Destroyers gathering in beginning?)

4. The shot of the shuttle entering the docking bay uses a CGI shuttle and bay, based in part on the Death Star II docking bay....

5....Because the next shot of Vader plodding down the ramp is an unused take of his Death Star II arrival in ROTJ, complete with Michael Pennington as Moff Jerjerrod waiting for him. The music is, once again, repeated from the "I am your father" moment ("Rescue from Cloud City" on the ESB SE CD set).

Get it? Got it? Good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.