main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Vadey's Drabble Thread - Round 2 - COMPLETE! Weeks 19 and 20 posted

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Week 1 (09.24.07)
    1. Smooth

When he thinks of her, shimmersilk and moonlight come to mind. She is all that is smooth and soft and cool. She is his redeemer. His love. The light that guides him along his path, despite all the obstacles.

Padmé?the sound of her name soothes him in the night, gives him strength during the day. She keeps him sane and whole and righteous.

Without her, he is nothing. With her, he can do anything.

She comes to him, skirts rustling, the smooth silk of her flesh pressed to him. And all is right with him. He caresses her smooth skin?

2. Rough

When he lets himself remember her, he recalls the gentle and loving touch of her rough hands. Hands worn by work and burdens too heavy for her to bear. Yet she bore them all without complaint, doing what she had to do and smiling as she did so.

Even a mother?s love must know some bounds, he often thought. But hers never had.

Now she was gone, lost to his own weakness and failure and he would never feel that rough, loving touch again.

Could he find forgiveness? Did he want to?

Shmi Skywalker ? of callused hands and tender heart.

3. Dry

His mouth was dry, burning, parched.

He could still feel the hungry flames licking at him greedily as he endured the agony of the black sands of Mustafar. The heat had seared his flesh, his lungs, burned away delicate tissue as he writhed and cried out for mercy that would never come.

Even now, as the droids worked on him, he longed only for the cooling reprieve of water trickling down his throat.

Never had he known such thirst, such overwhelming need for moisture. It burned him, branded him, scalded him.

He endured. Licked at burnt lips.

Nothing.

Just pain.

4. Wrinkled

The scars were old and he had grown used to them years ago. No, they mattered little now, for his face ? his shame ? was hidden from those who might mock him.

His flesh was pale and wasted now, strangely marked by the wrinkles brought with the passage of years.

He was not an old man. Not really.

But he had aged twenty years for every five. Strange how much the Dark Side took, though it promised so much.

At least in the beginning.

?I am old,? he said, flinching. ?I am old.?

The monster in the mirror could not disagree.

5. Weathered

Obi-Wan glanced at the stranger in the mirror. It had not been an accident that he had not purchased one of his own. He could not bear to see himself?see his failure. So he had not known what he looked like for years now.

Nor cared.

Still, that glimpse was a shock.

Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight and Master had disappeared. Replaced by a weather-beaten stranger. An old man really, cast aside and past his usefulness. A warrior become a hermit, a man who had become a ghost.

Weathered by life, by grief?by the harsh, demanding life of Tatooine.

A stranger.

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great short glimpses into Anakin and Obi-Wan's lives.

Will you continue this? If so will you give me a PM?

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Wow! These were powerful, MommaV! =D=

I loved them all, but I would say that Wrinkled was my favorite!

I can't wait to read next weeks!

4. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    From tender and sweet to tragic and haunting, you've made a wonderful start in this round of drabbles. =D=

There's no need to PM me, as I'll be keeping an eye out for updates. :D

5. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    so touching, especially the second and the third. I hope Anakin could understand that Shmi never blamned him in the first place

6. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Absolutely beautiful writing style. Loved them all.

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Wonderful!!

Smooth was perfect for Anakin and Padme [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Weathered was so sad :_| :_| :_|

Obi-Wan put such a heavy burden on his shoulders, and he shouldn't have.

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Very nice. :cool:

Smooth was very sexy.

Weathered...well this is why I hadn't read too many of the other drabbles just yet. :p I also conjured Obi-Wan. I wonder how many others have...:confused:

Wrinkled - looking in the mirror, reflecting on the appearance - nicely done!

9. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    earlybird-obi-wan I hope to complete the challenge! ;)

mavjade Thank you so much!

Alexis_Wingstar Glad you liked them! :)

SilSolo You'd hope so. :(

BigFatty Thank you! [face_blush]

KELIA I had fun! :D

BigE I'm a sucker for a suffering Obi-Wan! [face_batting]

[b]Week 2 (10.01.07) [/b]
    [b]6. Jedi [/b]

He?s never wanted to be anything but a Jedi, never even considered another life. The Jedi life is the only one he?s known, and he wears it comfortably, at home in the demands of it.

A Jedi?s life is not easy, his master used to say, and Obi-Wan long ago learned the truth of those words.

But he finds pleasure in the duties, joy in the service. Nothing else could suit him so well.

The Jedi life fits. Nothing more or less.

Now the circle has turned again, and he is Master, not Padawan.

Anakin Skywalker. Chosen One. His apprentice.

[b]7. Sith [/b]

Anakin Skywalker. Chosen One. His Apprentice.

Sith.

Even now, he finds it strange how the road has turned around up on itself and he is still a Jedi, though the Order has ceased to exist.

Is he part of a whole now? Or just a part of nothing?

He?s not sure he?ll ever know the answer. Or if he cares.

The dark sun of the Sith has risen, helped to its zenith by the power of the Chosen One. Anakin. Lost forever?

He must accept that truth, as painful as it is. Anakin is lost.

Only death will free him.

[b]8. Soldier [/b]

Only death will free him.

The Empire has claimed him and nothing short of death will set him loose. One conquered world after another. He has lost track of the names and the faces by now and can only be glad for it.

Too many lives lost, too many worlds crushed in the Imperial fist.

And he?s been part of it. Not willingly, but he doesn?t think that really matters anymore. The words ?just doing my duty? have been worn thin?inadequate.

It?s still his finger on the trigger.

The galaxy had gone mad; nothing would ever be the same.

[b]9. Civilian [/b]

The galaxy had gone mad; nothing would ever be the same.

She had watched in horror as the Jedi Temple burned, sniffed the smoke on the air. Her horror had turned to terror as she watched the new Emperor make an Imperial citizen out of her. She had woken up a citizen of the Republic, and gone to bed an Imperial.

Strange how things worked out.

The Jedi gone. The Empire flourishing.

She was a simple woman with humble dreams. She turned to glance at the Temple ruins, so empty and forlorn. Like her.

?Love live the Empire,? she whispered.

[b]10. Politician[/b]

?Love live the Empire,? she whispered. How many times would she say those words before she meant them?

Her people had asked her to serve them in this new Imperial senate. A mockery, she often thought, a mere extension of Palpatine?s will. She dutifully signed her name to every document, swallowed the questions and protests before they could be given life.

She was an Imperial citizen. How lucky for her to live in such an enlightened age! Bitter mirth rose up and made her laugh.

It was Empire Day. Democracy?s end. The Empire. Palpatine?s creation. His jewel. His dark child.

10. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I love how you put the last line of each drabble as the first line in the next like a chain. Very well done! =D=

EDIT: First reply post! :D I told you I was gonna keep an eye out for this. ;)

11. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Those were so sad!

:_| :_| :_| :_|

I loved how the theme of each drabble flowed together so effortlessly.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    loved how you ended the drabble and began with the end to go to the next one and so sad.

13. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    How you tied the five together (and in chronological order no less) was really, really net. =D= =D=

14. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    I wonder, is the politician and civilian Mon Mothma? I really like how you made this flow from one drabble to the next with your sentence structure/repetition and how you put it all into chronological order

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow, these are really good!! I especially like the way you started each one with the end of the last one. Very cool :cool:

I agree with SilSolo; I kept picturing the politician as Mon Mothma. That one is my favorite :D

16. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Alexis_Wingstar Thank you! :D

KELIA Glad you liked them!

earlybird-obi-wan Thanks!

BigE I'm glad you enjoyed them! :p

SilSolo Yes, Mon is the politician, though it really could have been almost anyone.

NYCitygurl Thanks for reading! [:D]

[b]Week 3 (10.08.07)

11. Mother [/b]

She was not his mother. No amount of wishing could make that so. Still, Beru found solace in holding the small, warm body close to her and imagining, even if only for a moment, that she had nurtured him within her own body.

The privilege of raising him had been an unexpected gift, and she never forgot to pray for the woman who had died giving him life.

His life had given [i]her[/i] hope, and so the circle would continue. Luke sighed in his sleep and Beru smiled.

It did not matter so much that she was not his mother.

[b]12. Father[/b]

He was not his father.

A Jedi relinquished all such bonds and attachments. If forced to put a mundane label on it, Obi-Wan might have said that he was more like Anakin?s brother than his father.

Still, there were moments when he looked at the boy, so bright and full of promise and his heart would expand with pride; surely no father could feel any more.

It was best to remind himself that the bond between them was that of Master and Padawan.

Anakin smiled up at him, his eyes lively?curious.

He was not his father.

But close. So close.

[b]13. Sister [/b]

She was not his sister. That Han Solo could not believe. The idea that Leia Organa, princess of Alderaan, was sister to Luke Skywalker, naïve and reckless farmboy was just too fantastic to even consider.

Still, she seemed sincere in her declaration.

Han wanted to believe.

So badly did he want to believe.

He looked into her eyes, seeking the truth, seeing it.

It was true then. The princess and the boy who thought he was a Jedi.

Funny how things worked out.

She [i]was[/i] Luke?s sister after all.

Then he touched his lips to Leia?s?she was not [i]his[/i] sister.

[b]14. Brother [/b]

He was not her brother!

She stared into his earnest blue eyes, wanting to refute it, [i]needing[/i] to. But he merely gazed back her calmly, his compassion almost her undoing. She didn?t mind claiming Luke as brother, but the darkness that came with him made her flinch away.

Vader.

To accept Luke as brother meant accepting the other as father.

An unbearable choice, but not to choose?

That was not possible either. To be alone or to be linked forever to the monster in black.

Leia felt her heart break within her.

?I know?I?ve always known??

The choice was made.

[b]15. Friend[/b]

He could never be a friend, not now. Too much had passed between them, too many lies had been told, too many secrets had been harbored.

For a moment, Anakin longed to open up his heart, to lean on Obi-Wan?s enviable strength. But would he listen with the friend of a heart?or that of a Master?

Anakin knew the answer already, knew that Obi-Wan Kenobi would always be a Jedi first and a man second. Anakin, however, was a man first and a then a Jedi.

There was no one he could trust. No one at all.

Except perhaps?

?Palpatine.?

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved them and that last one. Anakin should have told Obi-Wan everything. It could have ended better for him.

18. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Oh, these were beautiful! [face_love] I don't know if I can pick a favorite. [face_thinking]
    I guess if I had to, it'd be "sister".

It was true then. The princess and the boy who thought he was a Jedi.
    Funny how things worked out.
    She was Luke?s sister after all.
    Then he touched his lips to Leia?s?she was not his sister.

Hehe. [face_laugh] Thank goodness. :p

Fantastic job! I loved these!
    =D= =D==D==D=

19. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    nice one with han in sister :D

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Mother was sweet. [face_love] Sister made me laugh. Brother was heartbreaking. The tie between Father and Friend was perfect.

Great set, VaderLVR64! =D=

21. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Amazing

I'm torn between Mother and Father being my favorite. They were both so perfect and proof positive you don't need to share DNA with a child to be the parent.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

22. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Sister: Then he touched his lips to Leia?s?she was not his sister.
    Yeah ? go Han!! :p That was great!!

Friend:
    Anakin knew the answer already, knew that Obi-Wan Kenobi would always be a Jedi first and a man second. Anakin, however, was a man first and a then a Jedi.

There was no one he could trust. No one at all.

Except perhaps?

?Palpatine.?

That was an absolutely fabulous take on one of the thought processes that must have been running through Anakin?s head during that time. Bravo!!!

23. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    Awww I love all your drabbles [face_love]

Lol, I just tried to pick a favorite from Week Three and I couldn't!

24. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Wonderful!! I love how you begin each drabble the same way, with the words switched.

The "Friend" was my favorite. It was so sad that Obi-Wan was a Jedi first and a man second, and Anain was the other way around, but the way you worded it was very good. And the part about Palpatine was very chilling.

I also liked the bit in "Sister" when Han was thinking that Leia wasn't his sister ;)

Love them!!

25. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    earlybird-obi-wan Yes, it might have been enough to save him. :_|

dancing_star Thank goodness indeed! [face_laugh]

SilSolo It seemed a Han moment! :p

Alexis_Wingstar Thank you!

KELIA Parenting begins and ends in the heart, not the genes!

BigE Thumps Anakin upside his thick skull. [face_beatup]

MarasFire Thank you so much!

NYCitygurl You know they ALL thought about that kiss when the big reveal happend! [face_sick]

[b]Week 4 (10.15.07)
    16. Shuttle [/b]

The shuttle was full of emptiness, an abyss so deep and vast that it swallowed up everything Luke had once hoped for. Behind him, his father?s body lay in repose, the armor no longer intimidating and terrible, but somehow sad and fragile.

Darth Vader was dead. And Anakin had lived only for a few, brief moments.

But it had been enough to save Luke ? and turn his father back to the Light.

That had been Luke?s hope, but not his [i]only[/i] hope.

He had hoped for years instead of moments.

Behind him, the emptiness waited.

Anakin Skywalker had gone home.

[b]17. Fighter [/b]

For Anakin Skywalker, his small, sleek fighter was nothing more or less than an extension of himself. He felt every tiny quiver and vibration in his very bones, and the fighter seemed to respond to his thoughts alone.

It was here, in flight, with the chaos of battle around him, that he felt at home in his own skin.

There was no Jedi Council here, no worries about the future, no fears for the woman he loved. He was just Anakin, the best pilot in the galaxy.

Here, he had never failed, never faltered?never fallen.

In flight, he was perfection.

[b]18. Freighter [/b]

They had said his father was a navigator on a freighter.

Luke held onto that bit of knowledge like a priceless treasure: one small fact he could tuck away, one tiny piece of his father?s identity.

His guardians were misers with such knowledge, doling out minute pieces with a grudging hand. So Luke had come to regard them as precious, never knowing when they would give him another piece of the puzzle.

He had hopes, of course. One day, he would know everything there was to know about his father.

One day, the mystery would be solved.

Luke would know.

[b]19. Capital Ship [/b]

It was not his ship. He had never flown anything like it before.

But it [i]was[/i] a ship. It was meant to fly.

And so was he.

Then it was half a ship.

He glanced at Obi-Wan and smiled grimly.

More challenging of course, but not impossible.

Not for Anakin Skywalker.

Because down [i]there[/i] was safety. And much more importantly, [i]she[/i] waited for him there.

Not even death would stop him. He would finally hold her, feel her in his arms, let his eyes drink their fill.

Nothing was going to stand in his way. Certainly not [i]half[/i] a ship.

20. Space Station

It was a space station.

But so much more, of course. It was a harbinger of death, the handmaiden of destruction. The Death Star.

Even its name was meant to evoke fear. It was the tool of darkness, the massive and clumsy weapon of madness.

Vader hated the feel of it around him, the impersonal sense of dark destiny. It had been Palpatine?s dream since the early days, the days when he himself had still struggled against his own fate.

He longed for the clean feel of a small fighter again.

?Ready my fighter.?

Order given.

Order obeyed.

Destiny embraced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.