main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Valentine's Day a.k.a. Red Death!

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by TheDarknessX, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDarknessX

TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2002
    The one Holiday that makes a single person feel like a moron!

Cake or Death?
    I'll have the cake!
    Sorry we are all out of cake...

2. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    Commercial Holiday, down with it. I'm boycotting it again this year. Feb. 14th should be St. Be Evil to Your Significant Other's Day, it'll be the one day of the year you can be a complete arse to the Mrs. and get away with it.

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Nah, fellas. You got to put on the Barry White music and get your lovely lady some chocolates. Whip out your bottle of Courvoisier and be the Ladies' Man.

Of course, money helps, too. Gotta buy that Courvoisier with something. I hate that Valentine's Day comes on a Monday this year. I wish they'd set it where it'd always be on a Saturday.

Now the day after Valentine's Day.... That's $#!^ Day.

4. Johnny-Vegas

Johnny-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2004
    I am not a big fan. It is so contrived, and one-sided. In my experience the man is expected to do sooooo much more.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in romance, and although I despise the commercially contrived aspect of this holiday, I step up to the plate and make it nice for Moonpie, but...

...Also. I am working on Monday night, so we are going to have to have a Valentine's celebration on another date.

5. BlueLoriSaber

BlueLoriSaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    It's no longer Valentine's Day. My best friend and I renamed it last year(when we had to work with the rest of the single people at the movie theater). So it is now Single Awareness Day. Better known as SAD.
    Even if I did have a boyfriend, I would not make him celebrate this stupid "holiday". I still think the card companies came up with it. No matter what everyone says about Saint Valentine. They could have created a back story. It's not like it's impossible. J.R.R. Tolkien created an entire world beyond anyone's imagination. And George Lucas created a world in a completely different galaxy. Has no one thought that there are somewhat talented people at card companies that can make-up backstories for ridiculous holidays to make them seem real?

6. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Never had a boyfriend on Valentine's Day before, so I don't know what the %$*# to do. [face_monkey]

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

7. BlueLoriSaber

Sep 29, 2004
    If you want to celebrate it, then do. But if you could care less about V-Day (aka SAD), don't celebrate it. Most likely he will be relieved.
    I, personally, would never celebrate V-Day. Of course, I think it is a made-up holiday for candy and card companies to make more money.

8. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    I think the guys should go to my on-line store and buy their ladies some 'Lin-Thongs'. It's the perfect gift for any occasion!

I'm wearing a pair now... ;)

9. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Valentine's day SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'd go on but I don't want to get banned.

Chuck

10. BlueLoriSaber

Sep 29, 2004
    Lin, I definitely have to agree with you on the "Lin-Thongs" for every occasion. Those are the coolest article of clothing ever created. And you can say that you've been in their pants.

11. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    Do what I do. Send yourself flowers at work and keep them all guessing.

Actually I've never done it but I know people who do.

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I could make a really great, yet really dirty, joke with the "Lin-Thong" thing, Lin! But I'm going to have to refrain, or I'll get banned.

Luckily, we had SMT Thongs when we had the online store.

[face_whistling]

13. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    You go, boy!

At McD's Thursday Leslie started to put her Lin thongs on top of her jeans, but we all started teasing her about looking like a redneck superhero!

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    She should've known that that wasn't the way you wanted her to model them for you.

But, did she acquire the ability to draw cartoons upon donning the Lin-thong?

We should make a thong that is based on the third-grade love note:

Do you like me? Check one: _Yes _No

15. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Well, I was gonna gripe about the PINK-NESS of the board index and Farmboy's complete exclusion in the banner/icons......

But what can you say after the thong convo? :p

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Wait... They had the audacity to ignore the Farmboy lovers? And the Vader lovers, too?

But we have Owen and Beru. And Cliegg and Shmi. And we all know just how much romance they oozed. I know that I got anxious every time they were on screen. :p

Ah, amore.

17. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    All right people, let's put this whole Valentine's Day thing into perspective, ok?

[image=http://images.ucomics.com/comics/hc/2005/hc050214.gif]

Heart of the City

-Joe

18. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    Ah-freakin'-men!!! Woo-Hoo!!! :D That's what I'm screamin'!!!

19. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    Lori:I still think the card companies came up with it. No matter what everyone says about Saint Valentine. They could have created a back story. It's not like it's impossible. J.R.R. Tolkien created an entire world beyond anyone's imagination. And George Lucas created a world in a completely different galaxy. Has no one thought that there are somewhat talented people at card companies that can make-up backstories for ridiculous holidays to make them seem real?

For the record, Gina got a real kick out of this one, Lori.
    While Valentine's Day was not concoted by the card and flower and jewelry companies, they have certainly leveraged it from being a solemn time to show the people you love that you appreciate them, into the time of year for men to jump through hoops and PROVE HOW MUCH they love the women they are with.

But if you want truly made-up holidays, I give you Sweetest Day. Note that it was conceived by a candy company employee and the state where it is celbrated the most is Ohio (home of American Gretings).

-Joe (who is lucky that his wife is happy with a card and a nice dinner and some time together)

20. BlueLoriSaber

Sep 29, 2004
    For future reference, I do know that it's real. I just hate the "holiday". Esp. since you don't get out of school or work. And I've never had a boyfriend around this time. But I probably wouldn't celebrate it anyway, because I don't believe that a day should be set above all the others to show your loved one that you care. If you truly love them, you would show them everyday, even in the smallest of ways.

That was my greeting card moment. Probably won't happen again.

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Man, we've got us a bunch of hopeless romantics around here, don't we? :p

22. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Well, Farmboy's dad had an overabundance of icons...

...including this one of he and Mommy being walked in on by Threepio. [face_laugh]

23. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Well, Farmboy's dad had an overabundance of icons...

Yeah, I noticed!

//Skywalker whine// It's not fair! ;)

They take Mr. Teh Hotness Chosen One and his Teh Lovely Wife, get them hitched, preggers, scantily clad and, all of the sudden, their Shippers take over the GFFA - like it's all about them or something......

:p

[face_laugh]

24. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    Lori:For future reference, I do know that it's real.

Lori, forgive me if my post implied that I thought you didn't know it was a real holiday. I was just letting you know that I (and Gina) appreciated the humor of the post. We got a good laugh out of the JRRT and Lucas comparisons.

I was just trying to add some ammunition to your argument, in that even thought it was "real", it has decended into a parody.

-Joe ( [face_shhh] ok guys, let's get together and send Lori some roses next year)

25. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Love that toon!

I don't mind the holiday so much- I've actually had a few that turned out ok. But like any holiday (or 'day' in general) I've had some suck-arse ones, too! I'm actually listening to some country music right now, and if there's any justice in this world Terri Clark will figure out she can't live without me and want me to be here love-monkey!

Until then I'm going to pick up a pizza, go home, put on a DVD and celebrate it being a gorgeous Monday.

Ok, now I'm depressed....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.