main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Valie's FanArt : Jacen learns... slowly

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Valie, Apr 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valie

Valie Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 2005
    Just editing this and taking down some works I wasn't too thrilled with. I've been working more off the computer anyway, so I'll post some new stuff.

My fave artist, FalconFan! You have inspired me so much and that hair tutorial, I can't even begin to say how much it helped. I'm one of those who needs to start with those step-by-step lessons, then something just turns on and I can do it. Thank you!

On with some techniques I've been working on. This one was very heavily inked then colored in with manga markers. I've actually got this one on my mousepad :) Came out really nicely. And man, is ink hard when you're starting! Talk about a steady hand is needed! Though the french curves helped a bit. (not too much though)

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/Color/2680716a.jpg]

2. angel_gidget

angel_gidget Jedi Master star 1

Apr 16, 2004
    They're cute. As for the story, is it then one where he kidnaps her and takes her to Yuzzhan'tar to convince her to marry him? Or am I confusing it with something else?

3. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Yes that's the one.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Welcome to Fan Art, Valie! :)

I really like the animated style of your illustrations. It's kinda in-between anime and realism. The background on the colored version is also different. The mix of the photos and drawings meshes nicely. If you have any more drawings, please don't hesitate to post. I'd love to see more. :)

5. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    *claps* Yay, great job, Valie! They look awesome in color! I need to come by the other forums more often!

6. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Update: Gone the way of the dumpster.

7. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hi, Valie, and welcome to the Art Forum! Another EU fan artist--yay! I like your work--good movement in the figures, and an interesting style as well (and I'm jealous that you can PS, too--that program is "rocket science" to me... :p ). I like to illustrate the EU characters, too--guess it comes from enjoying the NJO books so much! Glad to have you aboard--looking forward to seeing the new Jacen picture completed (backgrounds are something I can't do very well, either, so it's nice to see people who can! :p ).

FF

8. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Thanx! Hey, lets see your work. You've got me curious. ^''^

9. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Update: Gone the way of the dumpster.

10. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I really like the one of TK and Jace together--sweet idea, that she actually laughed for him! :) I like TK's warrior-type clothing there, too--is that from a fan fic story, or from descriptions of her traditional Dathomiran clothing...?

FF

11. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Hmm... you know. I don't know. [face_thinking]
    I think I was going for Marvel/Dark Horse/Queen type person. LOL. I just wanted her to look more adult (she's not a teen anymore) but still a bit regal. I opted to keep the crown off since I don't think she's that comfy with the thing yet. And I wanted to blow Danni out of the water! [face_skull] Not a fan at all.

I'm thinking of trying the Fan Art classes. I read through them this afternoon so I figured they might help with my lack of realistic-type drawing (not a strength, yet).

I did a Padme (natalie portman promo pic really) from a Star Wars Insider mag I had lying around. Whaddya think? Constructive criticism is great. We won't grow otherwise.

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/Pencil/padme_portman.jpg]

12. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Wow! That looks exactly like Portman! Good job! :)

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Beautiful, Valie!! Love the detail on the sweater (I can't believe you drew all that...I'd've gone nuts!). I guess the only thing I could suggest would be to get a little more brave with the shadows (i.e., darker)--I think it would bring a little more volume to it. Otherwise, I think it's fantastic--I am so loving the eyes: it's like she's looking right through me! :)

FF

14. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Oh kriff! Don't even get me started with the sweater. My eyes are still seeing spots. 8-} And thanx ThrawnRocks! Likenesses are not my best, but I'm getting there.

I do need to not be so afraid of shadow. I'm so afraid I'll mess it up. I have to keep reminding myself I have a putty eraser. It'll be ok, Val. Just keep drawing. [face_sigh]

15. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Now I've just finished watching "Hollywood Homicide" with Harrison Ford and Josh Harnett. They were so good together. I think Josh Harnett would make a great Jacen. Even down to his conflict with philosophy versus being a cop. Think I'll try drawing him as Jacen. [face_idea]

16. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Here's my latest attempt at Jacen. I'm still going for a Han Solo type look for the eyes. !^-^! I used the sleeveless black tunic that Luke wears in "The Last Command" comic. I thought, that looks hot! (blushing)

Update: I have fixed the balding look. LOL. I just have been too lazy to scan it.

Update2: I still haven't scanned it. But I did fix it!

17. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Finished Tenel Ka.
    [image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/Color/tenelka_queen_final.jpg]

18. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Very nice, esp. the Jacen :) Allthoguh I would suggest making his neck a little thinner if you're going for likeness :)

19. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Thanx ThrawnRocks! I did read in some book that the neck is actually about the width of the head, but I still think it looks funny. ^-^

Ok here's my latest Jacen. This one took a while, but I like the way he turned out. I'm thinking of adding Tenel Ka with her back to his. Not sure yet. Pay no attention to the thumb, it's distorted.

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/Pencil/jacen.jpg]

20. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Very nice :)

It's true that the neck it only slightly thinner then your head, but you drawing Jacen's head a bit wider then normal proportins, so the neck looks a bit thick :) I'd say just thin it down a little. Oh, and BTW, you did a good job on his neck in this last pic. :)

21. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    I enjoyed this last one more. I guess that's key as well. Still trying to develop my own style for my comic and I've never really tried before. Coolness! Jacen is hot! Jacen is hot!
    [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Not bad at all, Valie. You say you are developing these characters for a comic you are doing? Very cool. It's always good to start out with roughs like this to get the general feel for what you're going for. Plus, it's always good to make the mistakes here than on your final project. ;)

Just a few pointers to help straighten out the proportions of the body - I noticed in the drawing of Jacen in the muscle shirt that there is not enough skull. It appears kinda like he is balding - that is never a good thing especially with a hottie like Jacen. :p A good way to prevent this is just to start out with a oval for the head. Divide the oval in half with a horizontal line, which the eyes will lie on. This will give you enough room at the top of the head. Something else to remember is that the hair line rises above the line of the skull just a tiny bit. ;)

Hope that helps and keep drawing! I would love to see what else you have to offer. :)

23. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    HanSolo29: I noticed in the drawing of Jacen in the muscle shirt that there is not enough skull. It appears kinda like he is balding - A good way to prevent this is just to start out with a oval for the head. Divide the oval in half with a horizontal line, which the eyes will lie on. This will give you enough room at the top of the head. Something else to remember is that the hair line rises above the line of the skull just a tiny bit.

Yeah this is where I always have my problem. I do get flustered when it comes to the hairline. I'm actually going to fix this one and see what happens.

Then I'll take part in fanart classes! Yippee!!!! :D

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Valie, you're doing a comic? Wow--quite a challenging project! I'm usually hard-pressed to maintain interest in one drawing long enough to finish it! [face_laugh]

I think adding Tenel Ka to your last pic of Jacen would be great--having them back-to-back, lightsabers in hand. Very nice! Keep on working--your stuff looks great!

25. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Yep! My husband and I are working on it together. He's doing the story and I'm doing the art. Keep your fingers crossed.

Ok I added that girl. Whaddya think? [face_dancing]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/jacen_tenelka.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.