main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Valie's FanArt : Jacen learns... slowly

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Valie, Apr 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Very nice :)

You did a wonderfull job at shading :)

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, Valie, this is wonderful!! I love their pose, and ThrawnRocks is so right: the shading is great! This could be the cover for your comic...? I think it would look great as a cover! Let's see some more!

FF

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Looking good, Valie. He looked kinda awkward standing in that position by himself. Now that you added the girl to him, it flows a lot better and his position makes sense. And like FalconFan and ThrawnRocks said, the shading is great. Gotta love it! :D

4. Valie

Valie Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 2005
    Here's a new one of Jacen and Tenel Ka. I was inspired by some Luke manga art I saw, but I love that style anyway. I'm going to put a section up on my blog for J/Tk. I just love drawing them. None of these are colored yet. The rest I'll post at my blog.

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/Color/this_kiss_final.jpg]

5. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Awww--sweetness! This is exactly how I see them kissing: TK will have to "ambush" Jace, the silly boy! :p :D I like the way you've included her rancor-tooth-hilted lightsaber, too (I always thought that was a perfect touch for a Dathormiri princess...). As to critique, the one thing that seems awkward is Jacen's right leg--the foreshortening is a bit "flat"--a little more shading, and a bit more definition of his knee would help out there, I think--otherwise, it's a wonderful sketch! BTW--what's the address of your blog, Valie? I'd love to visit! :p

FF

6. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Thanx! I'm still experimenting with foreshortening. I did a really good one of Jacen that has a foreshortened arm. I think it's just a matter of practice, practice practice. But I still have to color this one so I may be able to fix that.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That's really a nice drawing, Valie. Jacen and Tenel Ka were always one of the better couples in the EU. And you are completely right about the foreshortening thing - all it takes is practice, practice, practice. I like to have a reference when drawing things that are foreshortened, whether it be looking at myself in the mirror or pulling someone in my own household to model for me. The key here is to just draw what you see. Don't draw how you think it'll go - 9 times out of 10, it'll come out looking awkward. Just train your eye to see.

Hope that helps you out. :)

EDIT: Excellent! I just checked out your blog and noticed you added color to that particular piece. I think the color really helps to define how you want the leg to look. It looks a lot better. Please keep up the great work! :D

8. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    He he... I think i'll have to start resorting to Google to find pics for things like that. I'm driving my husband batty. (No, stop right there! That's it! Don't move!) LOL
    But you're right it does help ALOT.

9. DARKSIDE5

DARKSIDE5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2004
    I enjoy that piece

10. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Yeah!! I agree with Han--the color on the last one is beautiful, and really helps to define Jace's leg better. Very nice, Valie!
    :D

FF

11. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Completely OT, I know FalconFan, but I do love that quote of Han's in your signature. It has to be the best line ever. That and "I know." LOL! Sweet.

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_laugh]
    Yeah--I've always loved that line, too! Han loves that old ship like it's a living, breathing thing--and the ol' 'Falcon has gotten him out of some pretty tough scrapes in their long association. Plus, I've always loved it when people show that sort of loyalty, regardless of the object of that loyalty--it's just heartwarming, in some wierd way! I had a car that I loved that way--an old one that just never seemed to let me down--and I remember talking to "her" that way sometimes, too: "Just don't break down now, Lucy (don't ask where that name came from... :p )--I promise I'll get you to the garage when the money comes in, but please, hold together, Baby!!" And she always did ("hold together!")! I understand Han on that score! :D :)

On a more relevant matter: what's your next drawing going to be? I really love to see your work come up!

FF

13. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    I feel ya on the car thing. Mine was a cute 70 VW bug. I loved that car!!! My friends kept trying to get me to buy a new car, but there was no way. We'd been through way too much! LOL!

I'm stuck with art bunnies hopping all over my desk so I'm still doing the chibi's. There are a few on my blog that I want to color in, BUT.... I'm going to the art store on Tuesday and getting Manga supplies. Experiment time with the markers. I dont quite see how markers can make blendable flesh tones, but there's a kit that goes with it and they swear it does. Maybe because I've always used crap markers so I'm a bit dubious. We'll see.

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, too cute!! What an image! I can just imagine some poor Jedi mom or dad, charged with looking after them all...AAAACK! [face_laugh] They're all great, Valie--you should take a stab at illustrating a children's book: these little Jedi are a wonderful example of that sort of art(and aren't Wookiees darling when they're little??).

FF

15. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    I've met a fellow mom in my town here who also draws. She's been helping me out as well. She's doing a life-size medusa sculpture (if u can believe it!). Very urban.

Anyway here's my latest of a tortured looking Jacen ( i just love that boy)

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/jacen_tortured.jpg]

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:
    WOW!! That looks great, Valie! I really like the type of shading you used here--very linear and strong-looking. His expression is "tortured," in a way, so great job with that! Very, very nice--and on the full-sized Medusa....just don't look directly at her! [face_laugh] It's great you have a "drawing buddy" now--I guess I consider all of you here in the forum to be my drawing buddies--here is where I get feedback and critique and learn new methods and techniques! Glad to see your new piece!

FF

17. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    That's really good :D You did a very nice job at shading, and he looks very realistic.

That picture oddly makes me think of Tom Welling...

18. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Whoa! yeah that's uncanny! Hmmm...getting an idea. (grabbing sketch pad)

It is good to have someone local as a drawing buddy. You're right there. Plus the girls play and leave us alone. He he... I've got to get a picture of that Medusa so you guys can see it. The funniest thing is she keeps it in her mom's bedroom! I couldn't sleep with that thing in there!

19. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I like the linear shading on the last one. It's hard to keep your lines parallel when doing that, but you did a terrific job. The image still looks very 'clean', instead of chaotic.

20. kamna_jedi

kamna_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    wow!! your pics make me want to check out the story. nice job.

21. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    I have to figure a way to change the title of this topic. He he...It started out with art for the fics, but now it just seems to be my art. LOL!

Here's another. My vision of Jacen facing down Tsavong Lah in Balance Point. Added another of Tenel Ka. Based her on Rhona Mitra, the girl that was Lara Croft b4 Angelina Jolie. She's on Boston Legal now.

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/balance_point.jpg]
    [image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/Pencil/98f82c42.jpg]

22. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    A very weird one of Jacen. Don't ask. I have no idea. I just sat down and he jumped out of my pencil. Kind of weird manga/nightmare. LOL! When I was a kid there was an album cover in our house with a really big closeup of Donald Duck. And the eyes used to creep me out. That's the only place that I think it might have come from.

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/CG%20Art/b4291694.jpg]

23. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    lol

uber eyes :p

Good job :D

24. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    [face_laugh] Oh, very nice coloring, and the perspective is priceless! That's a great one.

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Loving the perspective, style and colors, Valie! The expression is priceless: sort of a "Watch this!" kind of look! [face_laugh] It's a bit like some of the "eyes" pieces I've been seeing around the forum, but with a bit more--very nice!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.