main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Valin Horn Index and Discussion Thread - The First Official Challenge Has Begun!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Valin_Horn_Index, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valin_Horn_Index

Valin_Horn_Index Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2007
    Welcome to the Official Valin Horn Index

With Valin Horn, the sweet, caring son of Jedi Master Corran Horn, quickly becoming one of my favourite EU characters, I thought it was time to give him his very own Index!

I know there?s quite a few Valin fans out there, but there?s not too many ?fics involving him, so I thought I?d create this Index and Discussion Thread so that all of the fans and authors can keep track of the new and old ?fics incorporating our handsome Jedi, and hopefully inspire more to take up the task of keeping his character alive!

As the thread gets more popular, I may even start challenges and such, just to give Valin authors, both new and old, a prod along to spread his name around the boards.

Just so you know, as this is an appreciation thread for Valin Horn, any ?ship situation is welcome here. :)

Ant. ]-}

To Submit to This Index:

I will try to be diligent in searching for new Valin stories, and will PM you or contact you in your thread before placing them in this index, however, I may not see them all, and if I?ve left yours out of the index, please let me know.
    If you have a story to submit, please PM the information to this sock using the following format (this index is arranged in alphabetical order by story title).

Title:
    Link: (not hyper-linked, just cut and paste)
    Author:
    Timeframe:
    Characters in addition to Valin: (if applicable)
    Genre:
    Summary:
    Notes: (if any)

Common Terms Used:

AU ? Alternate Universe
    EU ? Expanded Universe (all of the books)
    YJK ? Young Jedi Knight Era
    NJO ? New Jedi Order Era
    LotF ? Legacy of the Force Era
    Pov ? Point of View
    OC ? Original (Author-Originated) Characters
    Vignette/Viggie/Vig ? A one-post story, usually a single scene
    Humour ? Lots of silliness and fun
    Angst ? Anguish, torment, fear, anxiety and darkness
    Mush ? Romance, sweet, light-hearted, relationship-based
    Songfic ? A story based on the lyrics of a song
    WIP ? Work in progress
    TF.n ? TheForce.net
    Valiri ? Valin/Tahiri pairing
    Valaina ? Valin/Jaina pairing

This thread is also meant to be a support thread for Valin writers and fans. Discussions are welcome.

2. Valin_Horn_Index

Jun 18, 2007
    A-H

Alishu06:

Title: Being Late is Great
    Author: Alishu06
    Timeframe:
    Characters: Valin/Syal
    Genre: Romance
    Summary:
    Notes:

AvenKiel:

Title: Her Father's Daughter
    Author: AvenKiel
    Timeframe:
    Characters: Valin/OC
    Genre:
    Summary:
    Notes: Here's a sequel to my last fan-fiction- called [insert name here] http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/13890262/p1 about Talon Kardde, Shada D'Ukal, and Keilanni Kiel-Kardde. This has more Keilanni and Valin, less Talon Kardde and Shada D'Ukal. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy!!

Azeria_Jade:

Title: Feel
    Author: Azeria_Jade
    Timeframe:
    Characters: Valin/OC
    Genre: Short Story
    Summary:
    Notes:

Draconarius:

Title: Future Incursion
    Author: Draconarius
    Timeframe: Post NJO
    Characters: Tahiri, Valin, Jag, Jaina, a lot of OCs.
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    Summary: An assassin is killing off all of the anti-Jedi officials in the galaxy, trying to frame the Jedi for it.
    Notes: Book I of III in my Dark Assassins Trilogy

DreamingIce:

Title: Just Talking...
    Author: DreamingIce
    Timeframe: Post NJO AU. I am still refusing to read DN and Legacy. Betrayal?s blurb was enough to get me scared...
    Characters: Jysella/Jacen; Valin Hor
    Genre: Romance/Humour
    Summary: ?If you were just talking in there, then why is your top all messed up? I'm not stupid, Jys.? Valin corners Jysella after she leaves the practice rooms.
    Notes: Jacella

Flowerlady:

Title: Love?s Sweet Promise
    Author: Flowerlady
    Timeframe: Post LotF Major AU. Set in 62 ABY
    Characters: K/J, J/S, J/TK, Z/D, Valin, Bunches of OC?s (The children of the couples)
    Genre: AU, Romance, Angst, Drama
    Summary: Just over 25 years after the end of the Swarm War the children of Kyp and Jaina, Valin and Tahiri, Zekk and Danni, Jacen and Tenel Ka, and Jag and Shawnkyr find themselves exploring the possibilities of finding love while trying to stop a new threat to the GFFA.
    Notes: This is actually a sequel to a series of short stories and a novella. However, it can be read as a stand alone.
    In this story Valin is paired with an much younger OC, Jedi Knight Anakah Durron.

Titles: The Strength to Go On
    Timeframe: post-DN, Future
    Characters: Tahiri Veila/ Valin Horn
    Genre: AU, Angst, Romance
    Summary: Valin Horn remembers his wife.
    Notes: Third part of a series that prequels my epic Love?s Sweet Promise However, it can be read as a stand alone.

Title: The Path of Dreams
    Cover Art: Done by FalconFan and colored by BigFatty
    Timeframe: Legacy Era
    Genre: AU, Drama, Angst, Dark, Romance
    Characters: Ben/Jysella, Valin/Syal Antilles, Zekk/Jaina, Jag/Jaina, Luke/Mara, Han/Leia, Allana, Corran/Mirax, Kyp Durron/Alexandria Winger, Jacen [Darth Troddeln], Lumiya, Alema Rar, Qing Niao [OC name for canon character "Vongerella"], Cha Niathal, Dur Gejje

3. Valin_Horn_Index

Jun 18, 2007
    I-Q

Jedi-Ant:

Title: Hidden Desire
    Author: Jedi-Ant.
    Timeframe: NJO/DN Era AU
    Genre: Romance, Angst, Action
    Characters in addition to Valin: Tahiri, Jacen, Jaina, H/L, L/M, Lumiya, OC's
    Summary: This is a Jahiri 'fic, but starts out as Valiri.
    How does Tahiri cope when she loses another much-loved Solo? Will her relationship with Valin suffer because of her still-burning flame for Jacen?
    Notes: Jaina/Valin pairing.

Title: Liberate Away!
    Author: Jedi-Ant
    Timeframe: LotF Era
    Genre: Vignette (Humour/Angst/Action-ish)
    Characters: Valin, Tahiri
    Summary: While on a mission, Valin and Tahiri find themselves in a rather sticky situation... literally!
    Notes: This is an entry for the very first challenge for the Valin Horn Index & Discussion Thread.

Kidan:

Title: Jade's Scion
    Author: Kidan
    Timeframe: Post LoTF
    Characters in addition to Valin: Ben Skywalker, Sannah, Jysella Horn
    Genre:
    Summary:

Notes: Usual disclaimers apply. Other important information:
    Timeframe: 61 ABY. A Horizon-Class Star Yacht http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jade_Shadow
    Ben: 35 (born 26 ABY)
    Jysella: 38 (born 23 ABY)
    Valin: 48 (born 13 ABY)
    Sannah: 48 (born 13 ABY)
    Luke: 81 (born 19 BBY)
    Corran Horn: 79 (born 18 BBY)

Lanta:

Title: At the Will of the Force
    Author: Lanta
    Timeframe: Post-NJO, but it's a bit AU
    Characters in addition to Valin: Qui-Gon Jinn, Jaina Solo
    Genre: Drama
    Summary: Qui-Gon is rather surprised when, rather than dying, he finds himself in the future, helping an injured Jedi and her apprentice escape from their captors.

Qwi_Xux:

Title: One Thousand Tears
    Author: Qwi_Xux
    Timeframe: LotF Era
    Characters in addition to Valin: Tahiri, Jacen, Jysella, Allana, Jaina, Jag, Zekk, C/M, L/M, H/L, Tenel Ka.
    Genre: Romance, canon speculation.
    Summary: Told from Tahiri's POV, this 'fic takes place directly after Tempest.
    Notes: Valin/Tahiri pairing.

Title: Family Holiday
    Author: Qwi_Xux
    Timeframe: DN Era
    Characters in addition to Valin: Tahiri, Jysella, Corran, Mirax, Booster.
    Genre: Humour, Romance.
    Summary: Told from Valin's POV, this one is really just a Horn family vacation gone wrong, with Tahiri/Valin friendship
    Notes: This is a companion piece for One Thousand Tears.

Title: Horn/Antilles Vacation Extravaganza
    Author: Qwi_Xux (co-written with pregnantpadme)
    Timeframe: DN/LotF Era
    Genre: Romance, Humour.
    Characters in addition to Valin: Tahiri, Myri, Jysella, C/M, Wedge, Syal
    Summary: This is another vacation story. It features the Horns, the Antilles, and Tahiri Veila, and it is a look at Valin and Tahiri?s relationship through Myri Antilles? eyes. It probably makes sense on its own, but is a lot more significant if you?ve read One Thousand Tears. It takes place a little over a year before One Thousand Tears begins, when Valin is preparing to head out on his Outer Rim missions.
    Notes: This is a companion piece for One Thousand Tear

4. Valin_Horn_Index

Jun 18, 2007
  5. Valin_Horn_Index

Jun 18, 2007
    Discussion and Challenge Information

Thanks to Flowerlady, we now have our first official challenge!!

Write a one-poster (1000 to 3000 words in length) featuring Valin in a sticky stituation while on a mission. He can be any age and with any one else. The situation can be humorous, angsty, or even fearful.

REQUIREMENTS:

Words:

Jacen
    melon
    commandeer
    procrastinate

Phrases:

"Oh, no not again"
    "that can't be right"

It's a great way to start off the Valin Horn Index, and I hope you all have fun with this challenge! :D When you complete your entry, post a link to your 'fic in this thread, and I'll add it to the Index.

Ant. ]-}

EDIT: I just realized you guys will probably need a timeframe for this... how does the end of August sound as a cut-off period??

6. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Hey, good luck with this! Check out padawan lunetta's stuff. She loved to write for the Horns/Halcyons. :)

Also, I personally think that indexes work best putting all of the stories based on who wrote them... so you'd put all of Writer X's stories before Writer Y. Hope that makes sense, but that's just me. :)

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Valin Horn? Dang, can't remember who he is. ;) Just kidding. I'll be checking this out and trying my hand at it once in a while.

8. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Oh...I'm just jumping for joy...[face_dancing] :) [face_dancing]

I've often wanted to do this, Ant. [:D] You beat me to it.

I love Valin and the rest of the Horns as well.

Just about every fic I've written has Valin in it. And in both of my epics he's a main supporting character. I'll get my stuff to you to index.

Now... if the Pros would just figure out who Valin Horn is...:mad:

FL @};-

9. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    My favorite Valin moment is from Union. He goes up to Syal Antilles and says, "My mom told me to tell you your dress is pretty." [face_laugh]

10. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    ^^^Really? Maybe Syal and Valin are destined then. We can only hope....:D

I haven't read Union...But that is an interesting tidbit for us Valin/Syal shippers out there...:p

FL @};-

11. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Is there a profic template for this character? I know there are ff authors that have fleshed him out, but what's his history? Has he ever had a line on screen? (besides what JadeSolo just mentioned)

Edit: Ant, you might post a link to his wookiepedia page. Is there a page for him? where has he appeared in profic?

12. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    EEK! I am so excited...I was just thinking we needed an Index for Valin! Great Job! I can't wait to see all the Valin stories that show up that I know I've managed to miss. [face_love]

13. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Valin showed up in Spectre of the Past for a bit - he, Corran, and Mirax are all on the Errant Venture, and he's about six years old. Jysella wasn't born yet. Right after that is his very smooth line in Union. :p Actually just before that, in Issue #1 (or volume, or whatever they call each book), you see him sitting with Whistler while Corran and Mirax are talking about Luke and Mara's wedding. He's telling Whistler he wants something in the "key of Kresh" - years of music lessons, and I still can't wrap my head around that concept. :p

Then he appears later in the NJO. I don't remember all the details, something about he and Sannah tagging along with Anakin to defend Yavin IV. Then he gets another line later on when all the Jedi younglings are on the Errant Venture, and Booster's making a joke about them.

I haven't read the Legacy novels yet, so I don't know if he shows up.

Flowerlady - that one line turned me into a Valin/Syal 'shipper. [face_laugh]

14. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    Here is his page from the wonderful, all-knowing Wookieepedia...:)

Valin's Bio is as such:

Homeworld: Coruscant

Born: 13 ABY

Physical description

Hair color: Brown

Eye color: Hazel

He was named for his paternal grandfather Valin Halcyon and is 10 years older than his sister Jysella. He is also only 4 years younger than the Solo Twins, 2 years younger than Anakin, 1 year younger than Tahiri, and 5 years older than Syal Antilles.

His Force abilities are nearly the same as his father's. But he also had an affinity with animals, similar to those of Jacen's, and would use mind control of insects to move objects for him as a child.

And as JadeSolo mentioned, he had taken music lessons as a child.

:D

FL @};-

15. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Five years older than Syal?! I love Wookieepedia, but that can't be right. That means he was no older than seven when Luke and Mara got married, meaning Syal would've been two. In Union she looked to be about his age.

Oh well. That's why we have AU and retcons. :p

I never realized he was only one year younger than Tahiri (and that sounds about right to me). For some reason in Valin/Tahiri fics I keep thinking she's a bit older, and that he's got some pluck to be going after someone like her. [face_laugh]

16. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    That can't be right... I swear that he's much younger than Anakin. I honestly thought he was younger than Syal and maybe even Myri...

Oh, and would we really want canon authors to butcher him? [face_batting]

17. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    As for Valin's age I'm not totally going by the Wook.

In I, Jedi, the Solo twins were 3. Valin was born a year later.

Also he was given the age of 6 in HoTT. The Solo Twins were 10, Anakin was 9.

Also, Wedge and Iella wasn't even dating in I, Jedi. I remember Corran asking Wedge about what happened there.

I actually made a mistake on my math regarding Syal. Syal is only 3 years younger than Valin. In Rebel Dream, she is 9 and Myri is 7 or 8.

FL @};-

18. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a canon age, but I'm not positive. Who knows. (Wasn't that supposed to be Jacen in Union, though? I always thought it was. Oh, well, maybe I was wrong. :p) I love Valin--more fics need to be written about him. Maybe I'll have to give that a try.

19. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    Jaya Solo, thanks for the tip with the indexing. :D

Ish, JadeSolo, star_writer24, brodiew & SakuraTsukikage, thanks for stopping by and supporting this! [:D]

A big thanks to Flowerlady for posting the wookiee link on Valin, and thanks to Kidan & Flowerlady for sending me links to their 'fics. :)

And it seems like we've already got a discussion going... awesome! I'll put some more info forward on Valin's age in a sec, but I just want to say Wow! The response so far has been amazing, and I'm so glad you're all interested in this thread. Maybe this is what profic needs to inspire them to put him in, but Jaya has a point... do we really want the profic authors to butcher his character from the wonderful man us fanficcers have created him to be? (I'll looking at you, Qwi!) ;)

Now, Valin's age...

I had a flick through Conquest the other day, and found a passage which has Valin at exactly two years younger than Tahiri.

Anakin: "But Valin? Valin's only eleven!"

"Twelve!" Valin said very seriously. "I can help."

Earlier on, Tahiri had mentioned her age.

"Older maybe? I'm fourteen now. Last week."

20. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Huh? Isn't she a bit old for . . .

*blinks*

Oh. You're talking about Syal "Wedge's daughter" Antilles. Sorry, please forget I ever said a thing. :D

*activates the Link Machine*
    Beyond
    Classic

- lazy

21. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm looking for a vig challenge for this thread. If anyone has one, please PM me!

22. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't know, lazy, that's quite an idea... [face_laugh]

Okay, now the ages make more sense. Pardon my spastastic reaction. [face_blush]

Has Valin showed up at all in the Legacy books?

23. Flowerlady

Dec 14, 2005
    Has Valin showed up at all in the Legacy books?

Unfortunately, no...:mad:

Allston mentions him in both of his books, Betrayal and Exile, but he supposedly is out being a good little Jedi and is on a mission...

Now if we could only see those missions. :rolleyes:

FL @};-

24. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    Thanks for the link machine links, Lazy! :D

And I wish they'd put him in Legacy as well... maybe he could go on a few missions with Tahiri? [face_batting]

Because of brodiew's and Flowerlady's prodding, I have the first Valin Horn Index Challenge to post!!! [face_dancing]

Flowerlady is the brilliant brain behind this challenge, so a round of applause for thinking up such a wonderful idea for the first one! =D= :D

I'll put it up shortly.

Ant. ]-}

25. Valin_Horn_Index

Jun 18, 2007
    Our first official challenge is up in the Discussion and Challenge section! :D

I hope you all have fun with it! It's a great way to add more 'fics to the index.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.