main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Van Halen: Dave, Sammy or Gary? Who's your favourite?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Strilo , Apr 15, 2003.

?

Van Halen: Dave, Sammy or Gary? Who's your favourite?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. David Lee Roth

63.3%
  2. Sammy Hagar

33.3%
  3. Gary Cherone

3.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Well, Gary has the best voice of the three but it's gotta be Dave. Nothing wrong with Sammy, but who do you first think of when Van Halen comes up? I know which singer comes to mind for me. ;)

2. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    Who else but Diamond Dave? The whole point of Van Halen was the flashiest frontman versus the most innovative guitar player of his time. Next to Eddie, Hagar is a sideman at best. No Roth, no point. Plus, would you rather listen to your favourite Roth-Halen album or your favourite Hagar-Halen album? Fair Warning, Van Halen I and 1984 crap all over the Hagar stuff.

3. IG-82

IG-82 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2003
    DLR, no doubt. They were Top 40 radio fluff with Sammy Hagar, in my opinion, whereas they were putting out rock albums with Dave. They might as well have renamed the band with Sammy, because it just wasn't the same.

4. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I voted for Gary just so he wouldn't be shut out. He was awesome for Extreme but not so good for Van Halen. I personally liked Sammy over Dave. Dave is too loud and too much of a side show. Dave forgot that its Eddie's band.

5. Luke_Skywalker_12

Luke_Skywalker_12 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
  6. obiwankenobilover

obiwankenobilover Jedi Master star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Dave who else. Sammy was ok, the other guy, whoever he is, not much to talk about.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Dave is too loud and too much of a side show. Dave forgot that its Eddie's band.

Amen.

8. Darth_Phoenix252

Darth_Phoenix252 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2003
    David Lee Roth........Sammy is ok but the Dave days are what I listen to the most.

9. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Dave TV, baby!

:D

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh this poll has taken a turn for the disgusting. You Dave fans all need to get your ears cleaned.... ;)

11. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    I voted for Dave. I like Sammy as well but thought Dave had the vocal charisma to almost match Eddie's guitar.

12. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I voted for Dave. I saw him in concert 3 weeks ago and it was a great experiance. Now if only I get the opertunity to see the van halen brothers play my life will be complete.

13. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I'll go with the DLR / Van Halen years. They set the benchmanrk for all other bands to follow. I don't care if it's Hip-Hop or Country, the DLR years with Van Halen are what Rock and Roll is and was all about, excess. These guys knew how to party and party hard... Sammy came along later and did some awesome music w/ Van Halen. I saw them at the Monsters of Rock tour June 4th 1988 at the Orange Bowl in Miami...
    Kingdon Come, Metalica, Dokken, Scorpions and Van Halen w/ Sammy Haggar

Too bad the brothers Van Halen can't get it together... and who's Gary?

Gary Coleman, Gary Hart, Gary Shandling, Gary Gnuw?

14. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

May 8, 2002
    Gary Cherone of Extreme fame.

15. Sith-Mullet

Aug 2, 2003
    I know who Gary is GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE. I was being facetious. He was in VH for about all of five minutes.

I remember hearing some girl in a music store ask the clerk if they had "that CD from that new group Van Halen." It was a sad day...

Yes, Gary Cherone was in Extreme, good group if I may say so. But a little too progressive for VH.

16. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Do they have a new singer yet?

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    There is no "they". Alex and Eddie have not even spoken with Anthony (bass player) in over a year. Seems they are super pissed off that he played onstage a few times with Sammy... Really childish and petty and if that is how they are gonna be, screw them and their music. I hope they go bankrupt.

18. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

May 8, 2002
    I heard eddie played on some christmas album coming out later this year.

I also heard that sammy is getting no royalties anymore from van halen.

19. Sith-Mullet

Aug 2, 2003
    Ah, the brothers Van Halen what a happy couple!!!

20. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    The brothers Van Halen are the reason that no one wants to be a new lead singer. Alex saw the light and went toward it. Yes, he did play with Sammy on the road but who cares. Van Halen are history, the fans deserve better and if DRL or Sammy don't front the band again there will be no Van Halen.

21. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Correction to previous post. (My post)

It was not Alex that saw the light... I was Michael Anthony that played bass with Sammy on the road.

My bad, I was in a hurry to post... sorry for the brain freeze!!!

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I also heard that sammy is getting no royalties anymore from van halen.

That is not true. He still gets royalties. There is nothing Van Halen or anyone else can do to stop that. I agree that it would appear that VH is pretty much done. Still there is a part of me that hopes the brother Van Halen will come to their senses and get down off their ego trips. They need Sammy and Mike. Without them, there is no Van Halen. I really feel like they think THEY are Van Halen and don't need anyone else. Wake up boys! It's 2003 and you haven't had a hit since 1996!

23. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

May 8, 2002
    Recording artists have watched their record royalties erode over the past few years ("My Van Halen royalties are history," said vocalist Sammy Hagar), but, in fact, few musicians earn the bulk of their income from record sales

source = http://www.ecommercetimes.com/perl/story/31568.html

24. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    So Eddie and Alex are mad at Michael because he still hangs out with Sammy. Seems pretty childish. You'd hope professionals, much less adults, would be able to control their egos. But then again, I don't know all the facts behind their relationships.

25. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

May 8, 2002
    Sammy says Mike ahsnt talked to the brothers in a year. I think it was around january when Mike said he was still in VH dispelling a VH1 message board rumor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.