Rocky M, NC Van Helsing

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by Entropy, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entropy Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow. I've been reading reviews from on-line friends, and everyone has hated it. Several are proclaiming it the worst movie ever. Here's a quote from one of them:

"I am forgiving of bad movies. But now I face a dilemma: if I gnaw my hands off, I won't be able to gouge my eyes out with rusty spoons for willingly watching Van Helsing. But if I gouge my eyes out first, I may not be able to see to gnaw to bloody stumps the hands that willingly paid money to see it. And I cannot even try to crash my head against the wall like a rotten egg, for I might merely induce amnesia and go back to see that wreckage again, which would be worse than hamster-wheeling on the great wheel of rebirth. Oh, the terror of it all!"

Now I'm beginning to wonder if I want to see it.

2. joe-da Jedi Master

star 4
    even with Kate in it?

Me wanna see it... the times are like 4 something, 5 something and at 7:00 p.m.

Me probably see it then!

Remember ... folks hate us too...
  3. JediRiff FanForce CR Rocky Mount NC US

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Criminy! Well, a big reason I enjoy going to the movies is the company, too. I like hanging out with my friends, and it gets me out of the house. :D
  4. eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    My wife's first reaction to the trailers was wow. But the more she has seen and heard about it the less she wants to see it, and she LOVES vampire flicks.
  5. Entropy Jedi Master

star 4
    So do most of the people I know. Which is why I'm so worried. I knew that the critics didn't like it, but I expected that. I figured that these people would go gaga over it. I was hoping the reaction was because it was too campy, but the reviewer above mentioned that he liked the Wild, Wild West.
  6. JediRiff FanForce CR Rocky Mount NC US

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Maybe this will help ease your pain a tad....

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=17487

Try that review. ;)
  7. joe-da Jedi Master

star 4
    people hate the prequels too, and me loves 'em! loves 'em!!!!!!!!!

can't get the link to work... by the by..
  8. Drakkor_Knightmoon Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well remember usually when critics say a movie sucks, it ROCKS... hopefully
  9. Lodreh Force Ghost

star 4
    So nine years olds hyped up on sugar and caffeine enjoy it so it must be fun... I think I'll have to see this just to, "See how bad it really is."

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."
  10. JediRiff FanForce CR Rocky Mount NC US

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Same here. :) By the way, if you just go to aint-it-cool-news.com, its on the front page. Click the link for the review. Then again, Harry has been known to give rave reviews to some questionable movies, but hey... who knows?
  11. Shindo_Windu Jedi Master

star 4
    It looks good so far to me.
  12. Entropy Jedi Master

star 4
    I never trust Harry's reviews. He always bases them on what he thinks of the people behind it, not on the movie itself.
  13. JediRiff FanForce CR Rocky Mount NC US

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Like I said, he is questionable. :) But, I will go see it anyways. :) Like I said, the company you watch a movie with is a part of the enjoyment, I think. The discussions afterwards we always have are something I always enjoy...
  14. Lodreh Force Ghost

star 4
    Whoa... wait a minute... that's Kate Beckinsale... Selene from Underworld... yeah ok I'm definitely going to go see this...

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."
  15. joe-da Jedi Master

star 4
    (he says, as reality finally settles in...)
  16. joe-da Jedi Master

star 4
    tell Entropy, he was right about Van Helsing.... tell him... he was riiiiiggghhhttttttt....

couple groovy parts and Kate Beckensale... other than that...
  17. joe-da Jedi Master

star 4
    Forgot to mention...

Found Bossk, Dengar & Admiral Ozzel figures before the movie!
  18. eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Thought it was okay for what it was. The lady was hot, the effects were pretty cool, and the dude that played Farramir in LOTR was very funny. Weird seeing him go from playing "Farramir, Captain of Gondor" to this type character. Reminded me of "Q" from the James Bond movies except with a sense of humor.

Hey, give us a holler Riff so we will know that you survived Fett's house. :D
  19. joe-da Jedi Master

star 4
    Was that the guy that his daddy thought was dead and tried to burn him? If memory serves, they kind of look alike.

In Van Helsing, see, I never understood why Wolverine wanted the friar to go with him. Does anyone else know? (besides a plot device?) If there was a reason, I missed it.

And speaking of Lord of the Rings, why didn't Magneto - in the first movie - just have one of those eagles fly the ring and drop it in the lava? Would have been a quick fix, no? And as for the eagles being spotted and overtaken, he could have had plenty of backup, or Magneto could have just shrunk it down, or made a distraction or something.

It could have been so easy...

*** Ahhh, I should film "LOTR In 6 Minutes"...
  20. joe-da Jedi Master

star 4
    OUCH!
    www.buried.com (run by a friend of mine - think in the Han/Lando sense in ESB - "he's probably forgotten about me by now"... he'd turn me over to Vader, etc., etc..)gave Van Helsing even a worse review than I would have...

OUCH!

(though sadly some of it rings true...)
  21. eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Yep, that was the same guy Joe. Didnt catch why he wanted him to go with him either. I guess I just dont look to deep into these movies like some folks. You can easily break any movie down, no matter how good it is, and find SOMETHING wrong with it. Hell, Star Wars has LOTS of stuff like that.
  22. cinemafreak Jedi Master

star 4
    let me put it to you this way, was it a great movie? no.

Was it a fun movie? Hell the frick yes! I love the movie, it will be in my collection. If you like the Mummy, and the Mummy returns (all done by stephen sommers, if I remember correctly), his latest opus you will enjoy. I thought it was great, had hot vampire chicks (which I think were done more to the original legends (studied to write a book on vampires when I was 16, I know these things). Kate Beckensale, yeah, man. Looked smokin' hot, great accent, and Hugh Jackman, if I may be so bold, was a rugged, handsome fella. Though they didn't really leave much room for a sequel. See, he fought Jekyll, Frankenstein, Dracula, and werewolves. Maybe they'll make a crossover with Underworld 2. Or maybe Van Helsing 2, he fights Imhotep. Mummy 3. Might not be bad. But the movie is funny, and exciting. But if you're expecting a genre busting movie, you're not going to see it. But how many movies do. Not many. But when VH does is takes a hold of the genre/style, and rides it to a hell of a conclusion. And those reviewers are people that will praise movies like Hannibal, the English Patient, and A Beautiful Mind, though not bad films, are not fantasy movies, which they feel they are above. And that's ok. There is nothing wrong with that. But there is a problem with bashing a flick because it isn't your thing. A reviewer doesn't have to like a movie to write a good review. Because then it is opinion, and very subjective. And when you have a position of power that motivates movie goers to attend cinema of your personal taste and choice, you've done them and the filmmakers a disservice.

Wow. Didn't mean that to be a rant. I usually save those for my livejournal. Anyway. It was fun. check it out.
  23. eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Good review Cinemafreak. "Fun" is a very good description. Similar to what Riff said afterward. Not Oscar material, but not a BAD movie either. The part when Anna flips over and she lands on Van Helsing with her you-know-what in his face was great.
  24. Entropy Jedi Master

star 4
    I enjoyed it. It reminded me of some of the over the top movies I used to enjoy as a kid. I guess the reason why the guy I quoted didn't like it was because it it portrayed the vampires as the "Bleeh! I vant to suck your blood!" type instead of the "we must be sexy and deadly" Anne Rice type.
  25. JediRiff FanForce CR Rocky Mount NC US

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. Someone else must have too, after all it raked in 54.2 million at the box office. And yes, Eddie-wan.... I was JEALOUS of Hugh Jackman in that scene with Kate. OOOOOOOWAAAAAYES!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.