main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vancouver Vancouver - script up for grabs, need director

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Mr E, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr E

Mr E Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 1999
    (Third time's the charm...)

This was originally posted in the general Fan Films forum (until the kind guruguy told me there were region specific boards): http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9786902 . (And then posted at http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9806585 until Admiral_Thrawn60 told me the general BC forum was a ghost town.)

The gist of it is that I've written an 18 page fan film script (without the fight scenes detailed). It's got three 'fighters', one tricky location (something remotely palacial), and an average amount of fx shots. I must have had Vancouver in mind when I wrote it, because the 'planet' is conviniently a forest one.

Now that I've found some Vancouver folks, though, I'm almost tempted to pull a Stallone and say I'm in the damn thing. I've been involved in film and acting all throughout high school (with moments of professionalism in front of and behind the camera), but have had to put it aside for writing now that I'm at university. My point? I want to be the good guy (tee hee). Actually, the bad guy would be the coolest, but I'm too young. I do have a decent martial arts background, so the fighting would come naturally.

So, if there's anyone in the area that is interested at all, and could possibly show some past work or fx tests, post it.

2. dexters

dexters Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    Sounds interesting. I'm not a film guy per se, although I have interest in such a project. I may just show up to help out.

A good shooting location would be Coquitlam river park, which is located in the middle of a largely suburban/residential area in the Greater Vancouver Area. The park is accessible by trails. If you want more mountainous locations, there's always the parks by the Burrard inlet (the name escapes me) and another hiking trail in Coquitlam, up on the mountain, which is uphill, but very beautiful.

Apologies if you're from here, but the way your wrote your post had me assuming you're from out of town.

Anyways, it sounds interesting.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing in this project that will set it apart from the others? Not to rag on people who are infinately more knowledgable & talented in the field than I am, but I've seen several fan films shot in forest tyle locations and they don't look that well on film. Maybe its the equipment :/

3. dexters

Dec 26, 2001

PS I have a friend of mine who took several script writing courses and has expressed to me his interest in writing scripts. If things pan out, I'd like to approach him for the task. That is, if you don't mind. Of course, he can always turn me down.

PSS. Which university are you at? SFU? UBC? UVIC?

4. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Welcome to the Tipoca City Board, Mr. E. :D My name is Dan, and I?m the CR of FanForce Vancouver. Please feel free post here on our Board anytime; and if you?re interested in joining our burgeoning FF Chapter, we?re always looking for new members. ;)

In regards to your proposition, just like Dexter, I have to admit that it does sound interesting. ;) Without giving away too much, could you provide us with a general sketch of the storyline? Besides having the script complete, do you have access to camera/computer equipment, costumes and/or props? Have you done any location scouting yet? :confused:

5. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    Dexters, what will hopefully make the film stand out is ... good dialogue and good acting. Like I've said, I have varying experience in acting, film making, and writing. I've watched a few of the other fan films recently, and though they have heart and passion oozing out the wazoo (bad metaphor), some of the lines are just cheesy, and the acting makes me cringe. I'm not saying this puppy's going to pull in an Oscar, but in writing it, I've tried to let the characters write the dialogue for me (figuratively), which means a lot of mental ad libbing in front of the computer. It's a film that's coming from the theatrical aspect of film, not the technical. I'm not trying to pull of the best looking saber duel and have thrown in a plot on the side.

I am a local, by the way, so I'm not sure what I said to give you the impression otherwise ...

As for what I need: basically everything else. All I have is the script, myself, and some talent (debatable). I'd obviously need three groups of people: the actors, the film crew, and the fx guys. This is why I originally was going to just hand over the script to someone who seemed to know what they were doing, because I really had nothing else to offer. I still dislike my tone when I say, "alright guys, you do what I say and get me a crew." As far as directing goes (drum roll), I would hope for a co-director situation. I have some very specific shots and scenes in mind, but I can see why another director (the 'true' director) is needed. First, he/she's normally the one who brings the camera with him or her on these little projects, so that's one check against me. Second, if I actually do take on one of the roles, no matter how good a director I may turn out to be, an actor in a production just can't be the full director. You have to be behind the camera the whole time (cameos are acceptable) to be fully able to direct, despite what some may say.

I got no props, no costumes, no locations (yet). The two locations that I'm looking for are a standard forest location (the easy one here) and a sort of palace, in any style (which is the hard part). With the 'palace', scenes take place at the entrance outside, entrance inside, two or three hallways, and a grand bedroom. Anyone know someone who's really wealthy?

A very brief summary is that a Jedi Master has been on the hunt for an old acquaintance, without the knowledge of the Jedi Council. The Jedi, along with his Padawan, reach the planet where the man is hiding, and confront him.

Here's the first half page:

INT. - JEDI SHUTTLE TRAINING ROOM - SPACE

AAMON THOR, a young Jedi Padawan, stands blindfolded in a circular room within a space ship. The thick black blindfold covers AAMON's face from almost the tip of his nose to the middle of his forehead. It has the Jedi insignia (which will eventually become the mark of the Galactic Empire) stitched on it, placed in the centre of the blindfold on his forehead. He is otherwise dressed in typical Jedi robes. His head is cast slightly downward in concentration. It appears as if he is listening to something, but what he is sensing goes far beyond that. His arms are stretched outward in anticipation.

Suddenly, metallic balls drop from the ceiling and begin to fly towards AAMON. AAMON senses their paths, and reaches out towards them. He touches none of them; instead, he uses the Force to repel them away from his body, aiming his hands in the general direction of the attacking orbs. He blocks one in front of him, then one to his left, his right, from behind, again from the front, one from above and behind him, one from low in front. He thrusts both hands out to the sides as two of the metallic balls soar towards him, one from each side.

JOS
    Well done, Aamon.

The orbs fly away from Aamon, towards their cradles in the ceiling. Jedi Master JOS BERNIF, similarly dressed, stands up from one of the flanking chairs attached to the wall. AAMON removes the blindfold and hands it to JOS, who in turn places it atop one of the chairs.
    [/

6. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Right now, we've got no real fan film planned. There was this one guy trying to get one done a while back, but I don't know if it ever got off the ground.

Anyways, if you needed a little help in any area, give me a PM. I was part of my high school Drama class for five years, doing plays since Grade 8 and acting classes for two years.

7. dexters

Dec 26, 2001
    Mr. E my apologies for mistaking you as an out of towner. I have no idea why I got the impression. Probably because you intentionally sounded like an outsider, in relation to this board :) And which I likely mistook as extending to yout geographic position.

In anycase, I don't consider myself an FX guy. I've done a couple of short films on FLASH :p that's it.

As for the vancouver fan film scene... I frankly don't know. If one exists, it's likely local, with small groups of people working on small prohects. I know that in my Grade 10-12 class there was a group who did a Star Wars fan film type video for their project. It never went on-line so I don't know what happened to the group.

In anycase, your project sounds like a major undertaking :) If you're open to some ideas I have, I was discussing privately with another poster here that doing something oddball, like patriotic ADS for the Empire or the Republic would be cool :p Or a 60 minutes styled program set in the the SW universe, with interviews etc. It's something that hasn't really been done before.

8. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    Ha, define major undertaking. Graphically, Duality is still the most impressive fan film I've seen, and what I have in mind is not nearly that intensive. The scene I posted above is probably the hardest one to do, since it involves either a hefty set or blue screen work AND those pesky test orbs. The rest of the film only involves saber and blaster effects.

There's only three leading characters, which isn't a stretch by most of the films' standards. Props and sets are minimal. The only notable part is, again, the pesky palatial location. However, right off the top of my head, there could be some sort of royal caravan of tents instead. That would only involve big tarps. In fact, that would have its cinematic moments. Think of a much smaller version of the Roman encampment from Gladiator.

However, I can appreciate that fan films in general would be major undertakings. Still, I don't think that there's anything in 'Padawan' that would make it any harder to film than the many others.

9. guruguy

guruguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    Hi E,
    Have you taken a look at The_Apprentice's thread regarding a potential Vancouver fanfilm? ( It is in the BC forum, a few lines underneath yours)

A bunch of people replied, as late as Nov 7th, but it doesn't seem as if it went anywhere unless they are corresponding privately. Many of them posted email addresses and sounded pretty keen. Maybe a mass email to them to notify them of another serious local fanfilm attempt would be worth it.

By the way, a friend of mine is a fencing instructor and a sci-fi fan. He might be willing to help.

10. dexters

Dec 26, 2001
    What sort of equipment will you be using?

11. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    Whatever someone decides to bring along *cough cough*. Right now finding the crew and director would probably be the most important part. Punks who want to swing around a lightsaber are probably a dime a dozen (I'm one of them).

Guru, I know of the thread you're talking about, and I guess mailing them would be better than hijacking that thread and asking for their help.

12. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    I just renamed the thread to get to the bottom of the issue. First and foremost, a director is needed for the little project here. I'm assuming that anyone who would want to tackle the directorial position would be the kind of person that would have access to a camera or two, and some film crew buddies. At least that's the way I was when I took film classes a few years ago.

So, is there anyone here in Vancouver who wants to take a stab at a local fan film? It'll be fuuuuuun!

13. clee94

clee94 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2002
    I can edit the movie. that is if you have the software

14. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    So, is there anyone here in Vancouver who wants to take a stab at a local fan film? It'll be fuuuuuun!

*raises hand and starts jumping*

ME! ME! ME! ME! :D :D :D :D :D

15. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    Clee94, I'm sure many of us could fill in the necessary jobs if he/she had the equipment or software. I'd film the damn thing myself if I had a decent camera and capture/editing software setup, but I have neither, which is why I sit here begging.

Tell us a little bit about yourself, Suitor #1 (TIEPilot051999).

16. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    Tell us a little bit about yourself, Suitor #1 (TIEPilot051999).

Well, my real name is Alex. I love Star Wars. I've been invloved in Theatre in one way or another ever since I was in Grade 7. I'm going to be taking some writing classes next year.

And I really like SW Fan Films, and have always wanted to be involved in one, but the opportunity never arose...until now.

Please let me direct it. Please? PLEASE?

PLEASE?! :D

17. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    Geeeeez ... first and foremost, a camera is needed. The script really needs a film student behind it. I could direct it just fine, but I'm no longer taking any film courses and don't have access to any film equipment. TP, are you a film student in any form?

18. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    Not yet...but I do plan to be. I'm sure one of these guys has a camera that we could use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.