main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vanity Fair Article + Vaders real strength

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by javman7339, Jan 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javman7339

javman7339 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2002
    I read the new article in the vanity fair. It has a great fold out cover with many current and past star wars stars.
    In the article Lucas says that when Anakin lost limbs etc, he lost alot of potential power. He should have been twice as powerfull as the emporer, ended up being 20% less.

2. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Well that makes sense becasue having Artificial limbs will certainlymake it a bit harder to move and make you a lot less agile.

3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I don't see any point of discussion thus far, so I'll make one.

How do the movies show this difference of Force potential in PT Anakin / OT Vader? Is it there? How much of a gap is there? Is this power gap important in the context of the Saga and the story?

I have a few thoughts on the matter, but I'd like to hear other opinions first. :)

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The gap in power is a significant part of the plot which ties the two trilogies together. As Anakin obtained more actual power, he began to lose power that was within him. Obviously the more limbs taken off, the more midichloreans, he loses. That could explain part of the difference in force ablities.

In the final three films, he is a frail half-man, half machine being. He is really a walking life-support patient. He lacks the energy and physical strength that he once had. In many ways he is a prisoner to the machines which keep him alive.

-Seldon

5. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Good thoughts.

I also think that plotwise it is very important since it appears that Palpy wants to get rid of Vader in favor of Luke. Anakin's huge loss of Force potential in this way could explain why Palpy wanted to replace him.

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Another reason for why he wants Luke turned is that the boy is the last threat to his Empire. If they can eliminate him, then the entire government is more secure.

-Seldon

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I don't think Anakin loses his high midi-chlorian count just because he loses limbs. The concentration of midi-chlorians within his cells remain the same, but because he loses a lot of his control over the body, he also loses a lot of his control over the Force.
    Lucas seems to suggest a connection between the body and the Force. If you want to be a powerful Force user, you must also be a powerful body user. Midi-chlorians have nothing to do with this. The midi count is just a measure of talent.

That's what I believe.

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

8. javman7339

javman7339 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2002
    Thats the reason I posted this, Lucas is saying that Anakin did lose alot of his high count by losing limbs. They are unique life forces living in him, and whe that hand went off, they were lost, etc.

9. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    He said that he loses a lot of his power, not the midi count. If your interpretation was true, then Yoda couldn't be very powerful, since he is so small.

Star Wars is a saga
    Watch and believe

/LM

10. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    To clarify: Qui-Gon says in TPM: "His cells have the highest concentration of midi-chlorians I've ever sen in a lifeform."
    He does not say that his body has the highest concentration of midis he's ever seen, but that the cells do. It doesn't matter how many cells you loose, the cells you keep will still have the same concentration of midi-chlorians.

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

11. grav1mage

grav1mage Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2004
    I agree Vader in the OT must be weaker than Anakin in the PT, but I'm not sure if I agree with the fact the his loss of midichlorians are to blame. Think about it, Anakin learned about the force since he was a mere child, while Luke had a few years to glean little tid bits of it here and there when he had a chance between fighting the empire and Jabba the Hutt. Not only that, but Anakin didn't just learn about the force since he was a child, he was made by the force, and was the best of the best. How can luke possibly defeat him?

Luke is the chosen one's child, sure, but the fact that he is only half vader's blood should mean he is WEAKER in the force, like how hercules was weaker than zeus. My theory: Vader did lose something when he took on that suit, and being a cyborg lowered his agility, and his vision and his will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.