Vanity Fair Indy Article

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by XWinger, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XWinger Jedi Youngling

Hi all, I have been a major lurker here through the years, getting my Indy fix when news was slow. Now that the movie has wraped and is in post production, more news is leaking out and I thought I would bring this article in Vanity Fair over here to see what kind of disscusion it will generate. I think it's a cool article. There are some slightly spolierific details towards the end, but not too bad (IMO!).

One of the best parts for me was Spielberg talking about being done with 2 cuts and not needing to re-shoot or add anything to the movie.....

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/02/indianajones200802?currentPage=1

Sorry, I couldn't get the link button to work, so copy paste.
  2. PadmeLeiaJaina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That's great - can't wait to see the cover!
  3. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Thanks for posting the article, XWinger! It was a great read! :)

As for the cover, if you watch the one video on the site about the photography, they show a quick glimpse of the cover at the end of it. It looks like it's gonna be a good one! And for all those naysayers in the other thread, Ford is smiling in this image! :p
  4. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    What a tremendous, informative, and entertaining read! There are new pics, too, inclduing Cate as the Russkie agent! :D
  5. Darth-Seldon Jedi Master

star 6
    Looks very good.
    Thank you for the link.

-Seldon
  6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Master

star 7
    [image=http://www.vanityfair.com/images/magazine/2008/02/ma01_toc0802.jpg]
    Nice.
  7. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Yes, very nice indeed! Definitely picking up this issue when it hits news stands!
  8. Jango10 Jedi Master

star 5
    And then (spoiler warning) Lucas gets a little more (spoiler alert) specific: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull will apparently nudge our hero away from his usual milieu of spooky archaeology and into the realm of (spoiler Code Red) science fiction. ?What it is that made it perfect was the fact that the MacGuffin I wanted to use and the idea that Harrison would be 20 years older would fit,? Lucas says. ?So that put it in the mid-50s, and the MacGuffin I was looking at was perfect for the mid-50s. I looked around and I said, ?Well, maybe we shouldn?t do a 30s serial, because now we?re in the 50s. What is the same kind of cheesy-entertainment action movie, what was the secret B movie, of the 50s?? So instead of doing a 30s Republic serial, we?re doing a B science-fiction movie from the 50s. The ones I?m talking about are, like, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Blob, The Thing. So by putting it in that context, it gave me a way of approaching the whole thing.?

It looks like there may very well be aliens in this one. I hope it is a foiler. If there are aliens, I hope they can pull it off.
  9. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I saw the news late last night just before I went to bed. Went to town today but didn't see the new issue. I looked at the pictures and read the online only material but I trying to avoid reading the actual article until I find the magazine. Pictures look better then I could have possibly imagined.
  10. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I don't think aliens will make an appearance, per say, but it will be more along the lines of the crystal skulls being derived from another world. Aliens will most likely be mentioned somewhere because of it, but I highly doubt they will make an actual appearance. In fact, the only rumors I heard so far concerning the alien plot line and how far they'll actually take it involved the temple turning into an alien spacecraft at the end and taking off into space. I'm not sure how true those rumors are or if they'll even come to fruition on screen, but I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.
  11. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    The Lego Temple set has a retractable top that pulls back to reveal what is clearly a piece of advanced technology, possibly an alien spacecraft, so this rumor may in fact be true.
  12. Darth-Seldon Jedi Master

star 6
    I think it might be an interesting ending, if at the very end, a space ship were revealed or a temple launched into space. My main problem is if it begins to dominate the storyline. For example, if instead of the Nazis, Indy is fighting aliens and flying around space. As long as it is minimal and clever, I would have no objections to it. I have mixed feelings on this.

-Seldon
  13. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Yea, something like that would bother me too. Although, they did mention since we're moving into the '50s, they're going to be adopting the '50s stereotypes like the cheesy sci-fi movies. I don't mind a homage to that kind of thing and I think that's where the spaceship fits in. But Indy flying around and battling aliens is a tad bit too far. :p
  14. battlewars Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Its really interesting to finally learn why Lucas was so excited about a new Indy film. I've been wondering about the story since the old Lucasfilm Fan Club days.
  15. GreenLantern_Jedi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Refreshingly, the journalist is more of a GL fan than SS fan!
    Be sure to check out the 5 page GL interview @ Vanityfair.com
    Also a good long one w/ SS.
  16. HanSolo_Fan34 Jedi Youngling

I bought Vanity Fair at Super Kmart by me in Tinley Park and I thought it was a very nice article about Indy 4 , and I thought Harrison Ford was not kidding that he would do it in a New York Minute , because in one Barbra Walters Special that I saw she asked if he would do the Charaters again like she said " Would you do Han Solo again " and he said " not really ," and she said " Would you do Indaina Jones again ? " and he said " In a New York Miute " and she said " Really ? " and he said he would do it if the story was very good and if Steven Spielberg and Geoge Lucas was in there with him , which right now it's happening , and I can't wait to see it .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.