Vanity Fair speculates on "Indiana Jones: The Next Generation"

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by jp-30, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Source

It's been speculated on for quite some time. If it does happen, I would hope Ford cameos in the movies...
  2. ObiWanCon Force Ghost

star 4
  3. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
  4. kingthlayer Force Ghost

star 4
    Not excited about this. Its not an Indiana Jones trilogy if the lead character is reduced to making cameos.
  5. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, it wouldn't be titled "Indiana Jones" if the lead character was Mutt. Closer to a TV series spinoff (Frasier from Cheers would be the best anology - Frasier had several cameos from Cheers characters over the years).

6. Rogue_Squad_Leader- Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm looking at the idea of a second Indy trilogy like this, imagine if the PT was top notch. I think Indy 4-6 could have that possibility.
  7. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Agreed. I have faith in Shia to pull off the role in IV, but I'm not sure if he'll be able to carry two films on his own, especially when people will be constantly comparing him to Ford. I personally think it would be a bad idea for them to continue on with more.
  8. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    Shia might be able to handle action movies, even action trilogies. It would however, be far too much pressure, too high of expectations for him to continue this franchise on the backs of such greats as Harrision Ford, Sean Connery, Denholm Elliot, and that Sallah guy. I think this is just absurd and silly. Perhaps fun to speculate on...but would Steven (or George for that matter) really be interested in a diluted version of their near perfect original? George is a pretty creative guy, and he has never struct me as the type to just prolong a franchise for the hell of it. Many of you might dispute that last sentence but I believe his intentions on the SW prequels was quite different.

-Seldon
  9. Darthsuggs Force Ghost

star 4
    I think if they do a spin-off trilogy it'd be full on 50's cheesy scifi b-movie. Which would be really cool!
  10. StarDude Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So long as a spin-off trilogy is well-made and has its own identity separate from the Indiana Jones series, I'm all for it.
  11. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Somwhow, "Mutt Jones and the Sword in the Stone" -- or whatever mystical object he winds up looking for -- just doesn't have the same ring to it. Plus, as good an actor as Shia might be, he has a baby face with a tiny little mouth and a seemingly permanent insouciant teenage expression that mark him as an inappropriate heir to the entire franchise. IMHO.
  12. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I have mixed feelings about this.

As I have said in other threads, I do not want KOTCS to be bogged down by 'franchise building' or some such hell. It needs to be an isolated adventure with no clear lead-offs to other films or aspects of the franchise.

However, if they choose to do another Indy series of films sans Harrison Ford I would have no objections, provided they held true to the individual adventure stylee of Ford's films. Don't have Ford cameo. Keep it separate.
  13. arashtopoli Jedi Padawan

Yeah, I agree with Everton.

As long as the series is separate, I can't imagine that it'd be a bad thing to continue. What exactly are we worried will happen? That the movies won't be good? Then what? It's not like a bad Indy 4 is going to make 1-3 any less good. And we also can't expect _every_ movie GL and SS make to be gems (SWTPM). There are lots of clunkers produced each year in Hollywood, and each production works hard to make sure their's isn't one of them. MTC.
  14. Darth_Hydra Force Ghost

star 4
    I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they tried to do a series of spin off movies. Many movie series are continued on in other forms. Shia is a big name and will probably be attached to big budget movies for a long time to come. Plus, doing a new set of movies could possibly done without Lucas and Spielberg. All they'd have to do is have Shia go on an adventure for new and exciting artifacts in each installment.
  15. LordSilvertouch Jedi Master

star 4
    Crystal Skull needs to be the last one. For real.
  16. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree.

If there were to be more "Jones" films, Mutt's first name needed more syllables so the titles would sound better!

Numerous state's names would fit better than Mutt! [face_thinking]
  17. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
    Who will be the baddies in this spinoff series? I already have mixed feelings about the Russians being the antagonists in this next installment - they just don't embody evil like the Nazis. Or Thugees.

I don't doubt that Spielberg/Lucas have a lot of material -- tons of ideas went unused in the Young Indy Chronicles, a whole season's worth. I could see this working, if done right.
  18. flashbang Jedi Padawan

I haven't followed the fourth one much but they better not have someone else as the main character and Jones stay in a supporting role, especially the Disturbia kid.
  19. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    You mean in a spinoff, or in IJIV?
  20. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Baddies?[face_thinking] After Russians, the next "logical" villains would probably be the Chinese... Considering the recent news about Spielberg and China... perhaps placed in 1959 and partly in Tibet?
  21. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    [image=http://img1.imagebanana.com/img/52dwbn4b/emp_th.jpg]

22. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Never played that...:(
  23. jacemathem Force Ghost

star 5
    These aren't the first whispers of more Indiana Jones movies...
    http://boards.theforce.net/lucasfilm_projects_indiana_jones_4/b10265/27196248/p1/?16
  24. jedihyrumsfather Force Ghost

star 1
    I totally agree. I would love to see more indiana jones style movies, but keep them separated. Hopefully Mutt is an interesting enough caracter for me to want to see more movies with him in it though.
  25. jedihyrumsfather Force Ghost

star 1
    I would like to add one thing though, I wish it were short round that was keeping the series going. Loved him...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.