main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Vaping Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , May 16, 2015.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    it's not regulated, the science is not in yet on what the long term health effects are, and it makes you look like the caterpillar from alice in wonderland, but vaping has gone mainstream in the last year or so, and is predicted to overtake tobacco sales within the next ten years.

this thread is for vaping enthusiasts, to discuss their favourite juice flavours, their vape setups, testimonials on how vaping got them off of cigarettes. it's also for those against vaping, to debate, deride, or as i mostly try to do in other people's threads, derail.

what is vaping? i've cut and pasted bits from a noob guide using this source - feel free to google your own

WHAT IS VAPING?

Firstly, Vaping is not smoking

Ecigs / Vaping is intended for current adult smokers , that wish to continue enjoying their nicotine habit at a reduced risk.

Vaping utilizes a Propylene Glycol or Vegetable Glycerin based liquid, mixed with small amounts of nicotine and food grade flavoring that then get vaporized in a small battery powered atomizer, Simulating the experience of smoking. The vapor created is inhaled and exhaled much like cigarette smoke hence the term “VAPING” as opposed to “SMOKING”

About the Hardware

e-cigs come in all shapes and sizes ranging from cigarette looking devices, to larger more powerful devices. These larger devices use a bigger battery, and a bit more care and know-how regarding their operation. They also look nothing like a cigarette, which as you will find, the more your device looks like a cigarette, the less performance and satisfaction you will get out of it.

About the Liquids or “Juice”

Liquid is generally categorized in “milligrams” of nicotine. Ranging from 0mg up to 24mg, stronger nicotine will create a stronger throat sensation that is commonly referred to as “throat hit”. It’s up to the user to decide how much nicotine they want to use. Juice is made up of PG and VG. Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerine. PG gives more of a “throat hit” sensation and carries the flavor very well. VG is thicker, gives less throat hit, but will produce more vapor. Juices come in all ratios of PG and VG.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Vape is no laughing matter.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think that is simply splitting hairs. Smoking is smoking.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I have a bad feeling about this thread.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    does cushy smoke?

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I support vaping in the sense that I have several friends who smoke regardless and it's much less unpleasant to be around them when they vape than when they smoke.

Darth Punk likes this.
  7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Is this thread referring to legitimate vape?

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I have a friend and a cousin who both vape. I agree it's more tolerable to be around them when they're vaping than when they were smoking. Now, I am a smoker too(the occasional cigar) but both of them were heavy smokers and this alternative seems better for them too. I really don't know anything about the health issues or the cost differential to smoking but it does seem to work better.

Is it cheaper than cigarettes? What are the health issues?

Darth Punk likes this.
  9. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    if you smoke a pack a day, it works out way cheaper over time - there are setup costs i.e. battery/tank (the bit you put juice in, and suck on)
    the jury's still out on the health issues. it's currently unregulated. you're not getting all the chemicals that are in cigarettes, but you don't know what's in the flavourings of the vape juice. i do know there are small quantities of diacetyl in custard flavour juices, and that that is harmful.

10. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Most of the 'juice' is made in China. While there are benefits over smoking tobacco, inhaling chemicals from China [face_sick]

11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    VUSE makes their stuff in the USA.

Darth Punk likes this.
  12. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Darth Vaper.

13. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Prolly breathes a bit better

Prolly everything in your house is from China, they just rename it ameriphone, amerifridge, americhair or whatever, bang a stars and stripes in the corner, and you queue to buy it

14. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I hate vaping. I don't like the weird flavors. Its like getting sprayed with flavored Lysol or something.

15. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Vaping seems to become a big thing recently, what I don't like is people going into retail stores while vaping and my younger sibling vaping. I say wipe them out...all of them.

Darth Punk likes this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Close friend of mine was a long-term smoker. He went to 'e-cigarettes' (as they were also called in the US). He used them for a couple of years and now is vape- and smoke-free, so they worked for him.

Darth Punk likes this.
  17. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Vaping is interesting in Oregon. You can't tell if people are vaping tobacco or pot.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think a lot of people here in the UK started due to the smoking ban that came into law in 2007. That's around the time my friend started vaping.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think "vaping" is wonderful. I'm always glad when tobacco companies find new ways to make money.

EmpireForever likes this.
  20. mrsvos

Nov 18, 2005
    China tv, ok, I just won't ingest anything from the land of powdered plastic baby formula, cardboard filled dumplings and toothpaste with antifreeze on it.

21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    true dat, but seriously, i don't think the juice is solely imported from china, in fact, as vin said, i think it's more homegrown now, and that today's discerning vaper makes it their business to know what goes into their vape juice - an example being this bespoke vape bar in london:

Are you a vanilla custard cloud chaser?
    The UK's first vaping bar has arrived in the Big Smoke and it's offering more wacky flavour combinations than Willy Wonka's factory

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    My field is very divided on this. The American Association for Respiratory Care has come out against e-cigarettes, but a lot of us feel that if it helps people quit, then it's a step in the right direction. (I sometimes feel like the AARC wants people to keep smoking because, job security. :p )

What I worry about is that there is no regulation on what's in them. Inhaling things can be very detrimental, as we all know, but often doesn't show it's effects for many many years. I think if you are using them to quit smoking, great! Wean yourself from smoking and then wean yourself from vaping, but picking it up as a habit, probably not the best idea.

Darth Punk likes this.
  23. mrsvos

Nov 18, 2005
    I wonder if anyone has ever tried to vape shrooms

24. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    i'm betting yes, but after a quick google, i found that the active components psilocin and psilocybin are easily destroyed by the intense heat

going back to regular nicotine vape juice, i also found a bunch of youtube how to's on making your own juice - it seems pretty basic, and easy to monitor what's going in

I read somewhere the flavourings could irritate asthmatics

25. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I finally took the plunge, bought the base chemicals, and made my own juice tonight. It's a milk chocolate, toffee, banana crime and graham cracker flavoured mix. I need to let it steep for about 10 days