main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Variety: "There will be at least one Star Wars movie a year"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Apr 3, 2013.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Disney doesn't know marketing at all compared to the power of General Mills:
    [​IMG]

The references to Yoda being Benjamin Button have me wondering in which film we will finally see him turn blue.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    My son didn't believe me at first that C-3PO's were a real cereal... haha.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  3. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    Wow if we got a new Star Wars film every year...how fantastic would that be? Have a big, numbered episode every few years, but have smaller films in between. That would be fun.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "A Star Wars film for every household!"

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, this is so wonderful. Just imagine the Special Edition boxsets we will have to re-re-re-purchase every 5 years.

6. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    No thanks, this is going to go downhill very quickly, pumping out SW movies that quickly won't be good.

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Yeah, I can already feel my wallet getting lighter :p

Oh wait, you meant film quality wise. I suspect not as drastic as you seem to be implying, especially for the forseeable future, since it seems Disney is going after quality staff. I agree that some movies will inevitably be better than others but over all however I dont delieve based on the known staff of writers we'll get any stinkers, though clearly judgement should be withweld till the directors of the spinoffs and cast is revealed too... at the moment though whats known implies quality.

8. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    I think you're the one who doesn't understand what you're talking about. lol

9. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Yeah, because waiting 3 years between each of the PT films made them soooooo much better.

10. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Would you care to explain how you reached that conclusion?

11. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
  12. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I get what you're saying, Stone. It's just about using your imagination to explore the possibilities of the vast GFFA. If it's any consolation, Luke Skywalker himself agrees:

"That's what I would love. You pick the most insignificant little [character] – there's this little hawk-beaked character that's somewhere in Jabba's palace, I can't even remember what function he served -- but that's what I would think. You pick something that almost nobody remembers or knows about -- and then have a movie about him! You could probably put about 500 different character's names on a big, giant dart board, throw a dart, and say, 'Okay, wherever it lands we've got to make him the central character.'"

Now, to be fair, though, Hamill also echoes Orochi's concerns, in a sense, too:

After a hearty laugh, Hamill adds, "I hope we don't overstay our welcome."

I'll say this, I'm certainly excited about the possibilities these stand-alone Star Wars films offer. Bring 'em on!

Ryus and StoneRiver like this.
  13. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Exactly. I'm not saying I want a movie about every insignificant character, but when someone says that there isn't a background character worthy of a movie, I feel I must point out that none of us actually know that.

Too many movies, overkill if you will, is something that also concerns me.

But at the same time, I will second your last paragraph. Bring 'em on indeed!

Still interested in Orochi's thought process as to how he concluded I don't understand what I'm talking about though. 8-}

14. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Yeah, getting 10 PT films in that space of time would have been the obvious answer.

I mean, that was people's problem with the PT, right? Not enough of them. Needed to be far more films, then everyone would have been happy.

15. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    What I meant was that taken from a story arc and mythology archetypes standpoint (Hero With A Thousand Faces, etc.) Star Wars and Marvel are cut from the same cloth, not that Marvel has been around longer. They are both modern mythologies dealing with the Heroes Journey and good vs. evil. The origin story of a comic book character like Batman for example is not much different than Harry Potter or Luke Skywalker.

To say its a fact that Marvel as adapted and Star Wars was made for movies is a non-starter for me. They deal with the same types of stories, just set in different universes. They all fall under the genre of fantasy and mythos. You have just as much of a chance to make a bad (or mostly bad) Star Wars movie as you do a comic book movie or a movie about ancient Greek gods. We can probably all agree we have seen at least one of those in our lives. :)

As far as the "outside the box" argument, I am totally with you. Seeing a Star Wars film that has more in common with The Godfather would be great, focusing on a crime syndicate or something. The more I think about it, the more I like it to be honest. Imagine letting well known directors and actors play around in the Star Wars universe? Kind of a neat thought!

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, four of those films are not Marvel/Disney, and I'm excited about all but one of them. This doesn't make me worried about one Star Wars film a year, which is a lot less than this.

Ryus likes this.
  17. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I really don't think you can compare Star Wars to all the Marvel movies.

Each one of those comics started as their own series, completely independent, with their own individual characters, settings and themes. It was only later that they were crossed over and a shared universe was created. They are many continuities, occasionally woven together, but also standing completely alone. I mean, look at those films - that's four different universes we're looking at, not one (Marvel Cinematic Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four).

Star Wars, on the other hand, is one series. One singular franchise. Beginning with a single story. Everything that comes from it is spun-off from that original tale. It's always the same universe, the same character archetypes in slightly altered settings. Rather than taking independent stories and building a meta-series, you're taking elements from an independent story and hoping they're strong enough to stand on their own.

Or to put it another way: Star Wars having a movie a year doesn't compare to the Marvel situation. It would compare to there being an Iron Man movie every year. Sure, everyone loves Iron Man now, but would you really want another film every year? From what I recall, a lot of people were disappointed with just one more Iron Man film (not me, personally, but I have heard complaints).

18. Darth_Quintonis

Mar 31, 2013
    Although each of the main Marvel Comics characters started off in a separate series, as early as 1963 with Fantastic Four #12 (when the Hulk guest appeared) (Reference: http://marvel.wikia.com/Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_12 ) and in 1964 with Amazing Spider-man Annual #1 they had shown the fans that all of these characters existed in the same universe (Reference: http://marvel.wikia.com/Amazing_Spider-Man_Annual_Vol_1_1 ), so it's not true at all that the Marvel Universe was not a coherent universe from the get go. It was inevitable that the movies would cross-pollinate as well.

Hence, Star Wars and Marvel do have a lot in common. I don't see a problem with the spin-off movies being released in between releases of the proper numbered Episodes and therefore us getting a SW movie every year. I'm looking forward to it actually and I'd bet the majority of fans are as well.

[​IMG]

Ryus likes this.
  19. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    This reminds me of what happened to Planet of the Apes in the late '60s-early '70s.

20. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    If they follow the Marvel blueprint, different people will be involved with the different films. It's not like the same crew will be "pumping out" a new film every year.

I can't see how anyone who is a Star Wars fan could be against having a new film every year.

Ryus and Darth_Quintonis like this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    All I know is Disney is going to get a lot of my money in the coming years. Maybe I should just start giving them my paycheck. :p

StoneRiver, eht13, Ryus and 1 other person like this.
  22. Darth_Quintonis

Mar 31, 2013
    Maybe it would be easier to just put in a resumé with Disney. ;)

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I already submitted one for director but they decided to go another way. Oh well.

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Right, I got your original point about equally rich mythology; I was adding to it by saying Marvel is also older. However, I think that while they are equally rich, it is in a different way; I wouldn't draw that kind of parallel between comic book characters and Luke Skywalker. I think that while there are similarities, the differences are quite significant, and do think SW is better fit for movies, but that gets into a long discussion.

I would actually like to see an R rated SW, which may never happen. But clearly, the Underworld stories were way outside the box, and were more adult. The description of them as being "Deadwood in space" by Rick my have been an exaggeration, but I like the direction that is going in. I think with the vast increase in sheer volume of stories made into big-budget shows/movies, there stands a much better chance of this sort of thing happening; there will be plenty of cartoons and/or lighter weight stuff to sell toys to the kids with; the SW universe can now afford some gifts for the adults.

Dranem likes this.
  25. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    An R rated Star Wars would be fascinating to me, but I think it would hurt the brand overall and is probably a lost cause with Disney at the helm. Deadwood in space? Awesome...