main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Various Fan Art (Updated September 1, 2007 -- Saint Zen's Visas)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vandalier, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vandalier

Vandalier Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2006
    Hi!

Here's some SW-related (KOTOR series mostly) artwork drawn by some very talented artists. I post them here with their blessings. The descriptions given for the art sometimes do not do the story behind it justice.

Long story short, SW characters have been "cast" into an extratravagent fan fiction that revolves around a man named Zen and his Zen Masters (of which certain characters-- Handmaiden, Bastila-- are members). Zen Masters are best thought of as superpowered Jedi; some can fly, some are invulnerable, some shoot lasers from their eyes, etc. The Zen Master universe itself pays homage to countless other worlds; some of which you may recognize.

All comments are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks and enjoy!

--10/16/06--

Title: Visas and Zen
    Description: A happy couple poses for the camera.
    Pencils: Shade

Title: Meizas Marr
    Description: The son of Visas and Zen.

Title: Driving Lesson
    Description: Two of a conservative-minded father's worse nightmares: 1) a "blind" son at the wheel; 2) said son revealing (facetiously) that he has the hots for his half-sister.
    Pencils: Shade (Driving Lesson)
    Inks: Darryl Banks (Pink Guardian*)
    Colors: Ian Sokoliwski (Driving Lesson, Pink Guardian*)
    * = Mention of her sparks some interesting dialogue in the vehicle. The dialogue may be posted another time.

Title: Some Guys Have All the Luck...
    Description: Despite another first-round playoff elimination, Yankee captain Derek Jeter still gets all the ladies (much to the dismay of the male Zen Masters).
    {From right-to-left: Handmaiden, Derek Jeter, Vicki, Karsh, Zen, Zell, Van}
    Pencils: Shade (Some Guys..., Vicki)
    Colors: Ian Sokoliwski (Some Guys..., Vicki)

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    These are wonderful illustrations, Vandalier--many kudos to the artists that created them! You say they're for a fan fiction--is it posted here in the fan fiction forums? Just curious--there's a "Before the Saga" section there that would no doubt welcome your collaboration (art and writing). You might consider posting your story there as well.

The linework and coloring of these are wonderful--a sort of graphic novel style, but with considerable realism. Lovely! Please pass on my comments to the artists involved--they've done a wonderful job!

FF

3. Vandalier

Oct 15, 2006
    lol

Thanks! They've been alerted that their work's been posted here. I'm sure they appreciate all comments.

As for the fan fic, it'll be in graphic novel form; that's the plan anyway. As bits and pieces of it come in, they'll make their way here.

4. Vandalier

Oct 15, 2006
    Heyo!

Here're two drawings to share with y'all:

Title: Last Stand
    Description: Meizas channels his parent's guidance during a fight for survival.

Title: Darth Basillius
    Description: A villain that appears at some point during the story.

5. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    OOOO!!

Excellent pieces!! =D=

That first one is both tense and poignant: the idea of "channeling" one's departed parents' Force-strength is an amazing concept--very cool aspect of the story--and that our battling Jedi is so outnumbered makes it all the more heroic (...think "Ganner's Last Stand..."). Beautiful contrasts and composition, and it tells the story so well--a wonderful piece.

The second one gives me chills--and huge kudos to the artist that developed this particular Darth: all that armoring/breathing apparatus/mask/helmet stuff harkens back to our favorite black Sith Lord, but is very new and unique. And excellent character design! =D=

Again--please pass on the comments to the artists who contributed--it's fantastic work!

FF

6. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow! I really like your two latest drawings! Very well done!

AG88

7. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    They look awesome! Are they either graphite or ink?

8. FettFan79

FettFan79 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2005
    Those are nice! Drawn well and colored very well! I really like the "driving lesson". I like the squashed bugs on the front of the vehicle--that was truly a nice touch! The faces on the characters really come to life in these pictures, especially the smiles.

9. Vandalier

Oct 15, 2006
    Thanks guys!

FF - lol. Yeah. That's pretty much what we were aiming for in the first piece; an action-heavy drawing that summarizes the guy's struggle.

We'll have him dishing out the hurt in a redesigned outfit. People keep making fun that his mommy dresses him-- even Zen.

I'm glad you liked Darth Basillius! It's hard to put him anywhere because he just doesn't fit in; there're too many villains that're as powerful as he. Eh. I'm sure we'll find a place to put him.

And yes, the artists know of your comments. lol. They lurk the boards now and again and read what you and everybody else has to say. ;)

AG88 - lol. No. I don't have the artistic talent you or anyone else here possess. I can't draw but I can pay people to draw for me.

It's a pretty fair deal if you ask me.

SilSilo - Thanks!

Everything drawn by Shade is in graphite. All the colored material are inked before being colored.

FF79 - You like the smiles too, huh? lol. There's always someone laughing or smiling or causing mischief; that's the conglomerated Zen Master universe in a nutshell.

I thought it'd be a challenge for the artists to show emotion for Visas, Meizas, and hooded Zen-- it wasn't. lol

Because their eyes can't be seen, the artists had to show emotion by facial expressions or body language. They deserve a forum plug for the wonderful jobs they did.

As for the details on the driving pic, the bugs were Shade's idea. All I asked for were the three in the vehicle and a few angry motorists. The crab-guy giving the "finger" was a nice addition. lol

Thanks again!

10. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Lol, Love 'Driving Lesson'. So much action to look at and the colours are fantastic. I also like how Visas Mar's expression has a way of setting the tone for the whole image - Her smile and hands covering her eyes sparking the notion of amusement over the whole event occuring. Making it a fun image rather than a serious one.

'Some Guys Have All the Luck...' - those expressions are absolutely great. [face_laugh] Particulary Derek's gigantic smile plastered on his face. I'm telling you, It is impossible for me to look a him without laughing. The whole mood and idea of the picture is hilarious. Though I'm not familiar with the other characters, I spotted Zell easily enough (his unique hair style gives him away :p)

I like the 'closeness' of the Happy couple - The way Visas has her hand on Zen's head while leaning back into him. The character designs all look great. That's some really nicely detailed work on Darth Bassilius. I think it's the tubes in his mask, but he sort of reminds me of one of those tie fighter pilots...that is also part ninja/samurai. Intriguing design.

Excellent drawings - hat's off to their respected artist's. =D=

- Suz ^_~

11. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    Darth Bassilious is amazing! Excellent design work with the TIE Fighter Helmet sort of echoing in his vader-ish design! Yet it still remains unique and wicked looking! Great job designing the character, and your lines in general are GREAT! Would love to have you doing a pinup or 10 over at http://www.fandomcomics.com or even a mini comic or something!

12. Vandalier

Oct 15, 2006
    Heyo and a month-belated Happy New Year to yous all!

Sorry for taking so long to reply to you guys. I didn't mean to be a jerk about it; I was legitimately busy. (Has it been 2.5 months already?! Damn.)

And with that...

Suz - lol

And Visas is the only one in that "Driving Lesson" drawing that's smiling. Everyone else is either terrified or angry in some capacity. It's the same scenario when I drive except I'm the one that's usually angry. ESPECIALLY when the motorist in front of me turns veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery sloooooooooooooooooooooooowly. I yell from my seat "C'MON!!"

And it's not an older person in front either; it's a kid that could be around my age. It GRRs me to no end.

No. Not really.

I'm glad the Jeter pic made you laugh! We came up with the idea when we thought about how the guys'd feel if superstar shortstop came by Zen Master headquarters and picked up some women.

Did you see that Shade didn't give Zell a shirt? I could just hear Zen telling him "PUT A DAMN SHIRT ON!" It reminded me of that shirtless guy in that Stan Lee superhero "reality" show who wanted to kill people.

I always thought Visas and Zen would make a good couple; she's quiet and reserved and he's a goofball. Well he's not a goofball ALL the time but there's no denying it-- he's a clown.

Did you know that Darth Basillius was conceived after Shade watched the Amazonia Planet episode of Futurama? Neither did I. Hmm...

And they all extend their gratitude for your comments. ;)

Nar - lol

Shade sends his thanks because he did the design. Has he contacted you about doing pinups? He mentioned something of that nature to me months back.

Here's some stuff by new artists that are SW-related:

Title: Zen Masters
    Description: Headshots of the original nine Zen Masters and their corresponding voice actors (or at least how we imagine they'd sound like).

Top Row: Jessi did a wonderful job capturing the actors. How many can you identify?
    Bottom Row: (left-to-right) Van, Maiden, Sirius, Maria, Zen, Zell, Orhla, Karsh, Wendy

Mixed Media: Jessi Nelson

Title: Zell versus Manik
    Description: First-of-nine animated cels of Zen Masters battling Killers. These are part of an animated feature we're working on.
    Mixed Media: Greg Woronchak

Title: Maiden versus Scumbag
    Description: Two-of-nine animated cels of Zen Masters battling Killers. Why's her lightsaber red? Because Scum destroyed her silver-bladed one and now she's using Manik's.
    Mixed Media: Greg Woronchak

Title: Maria
    Description: Distantly SW-related, this's ZM Maria during her Transcendence phase. (Long story. lol. I just wanted an excuse to share.)
    Mixed Media: Scott Blair

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a lot of clicking-and-commenting to do.

(... Well in the morning anyway.)

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Great update there, Vandalier--are these yours, or were they done by artists you're working with on the project...? I'm especially fond of the "voice actors" matched with their characters--what a great piece, and to have the actors drawn, rather than simply using photographs, was inspired! =D= All wonderful--Maria is a terrific mood, with the stark lighting and the rains pattering off her--most excellent!

Good, good stuff!

FF

14. FettFan79

FettFan79 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2005
    Those are pretty cool images! I like the last one, Maria--great work with the rain!

This is freaky--I just a minute ago looked on eBay for artwork, and saw some Jessi Nelson stuff...

15. Vandalier

Oct 15, 2006
    FF - They're done by other artists. Although I've contributed to some character designs (Zen, Vicki, the villains primarily), I just function as the director and writer.

Using photographs for the "Zen Masters" piece would've looked inconsistent with the reference pictures I gave Jessi. She did a wonderful job integrating them to comic representations.

For the "Maria" piece, Scott wanted to make her look sexy. He thought the reference pose I sent him was bleh; so this's what he came up with. lol

FF79 - lol

Jessi's a sweet girl and a fine artist. She posts a few eBay auctions every week that lasts no more than three days sometimes.

Thanks for the comments, guys! Now how about taking a stab at who those voice actors are? lol

Better yet, guess which Zen Masters are Force-sensitive. (And no-- the answer is neither "All" nor "None.")

In the meantime, here're two pieces for your viewing pleasure:

Title: Training
    Description: Meizas spars against his ma and pa.

Excerp of the conversation Meizas has with Zen before undergoing his training:

- Meizas: I'm ready, father.
    - Zen: Whatever you say...
    *Notices Meizas's reflective faceplate as part of his "new look."*
    ... Cobra Commander.
    - Meizas: *Genuinely confused.*
    ... Who?
    - Zen: *Sighs.*
    Nevermind.

Pen and Ink: TG Sangalang

Title: Heroes Versus Lusca
    Description: An instance of City of Heroes characters fighting Lusca-- a Giant Monster that threatens the waters of Independence Port.

Nineteen heroes in this drawing-- a combination of my girlfriend's (Zen, Moonswift, et al.) and her friends' characters.

16. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hey there! [:D]
    You can edit your first post and then type something into the header like "Update: 2/10" or even what you've added. That would let other people who only look at the titles know when you've updated. :)

Maria looks awesome, I agree with FF. I just think she has kinda big...balloons, to put it that way. But it looks just scary; a woman with a blade, black hair and sunglasses while it rains. It doesn't even matter you can't see her eyes, you just know that she's mad! =D=

The Zen Masters are just cute! [face_love]

Just a question: Was Zell inspired by Xell Dincht, a chara from the game Final Fantasy VIII? They look quite similar....

Training looks great as well. I love how you can see the reflection in his faceplate. =D=

TG Sangalang took me a few moments to analyse everything. There's so much to see there! In my opinion it would help if you'd color it. But apart from the the-more-the-better look it's a fabulous piece! =D=

Great work! Can't believe I haven't left a comment here before. I've missed so much!

17. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oooo! Loving "Training!" The nice tight focus really gives it a lot of impact; fabulous job with the reflections--just the right amount of distortion in the curved faceplate--and that expression on Meizas' face is wonderful! "Heroes Vs. Lusca" is fantastic! So much going on: that creature is awesome (think kracken [sp?], from POTC! ;) ), with that huge eye just breaking the surface! Terrific perspective, too, with the viewer rocketing down on it with all the other heroes! =D= Great stuff!

FF

18. Vandalier

Oct 15, 2006
    Chilla - lol

I'm just lazy and don't get around to it. It might be a good idea to get into the habit of it. ;)

Big "balloons." lol

Did you know that she has glow-in-the-dark sunglasses too? So when she finds them, she wears them in the dark.

And yes-- Zell (or Xell) fit the mold of the male best friend; brash, bold, irascible. That's primarily the reason we used him.

You like the reflective faceplate? Me too. :) They call him "Cobra Commander" now. (And by "they" I mean "Zen.")

You're right about the Lusca pic being busy; there's way too much going on for one to absorb everything in the piece. I'm looking into getting it colored some time this year.

FF - You always give such wonderful insight. ;)

If you were in Meizas' position, who'd you be more afraid of-- Visas or Zen?

You know what's funny related to the Lusca pic? In the game, there's a giant monster called "Kraken" that spawns in Perez Park too. It's part of the villain faction known as "Hydra"; it looks nothing like mythical hydra (multi-headed dragons) nor does it look like it belongs in the family octopuseses.

Thanks guys! The respective artists appreciate your feedback!

Here are some drawings by Greg Woronchak related to Valentine's Day entitled "Love at First Sight":

Ania and Zen
    Visas and Zen
    Sirius and Rinna

Enjoy!

19. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Vandalier wrote: "If you were in Meizas' position, who'd you be more afraid of-- Visas or Zen?"

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

Me?! I'd be running away at full-tilt, screaming the whole way!! LOL!![face_laugh] :p

I love the expressions in the "Love at First Sight" series: each one captures a moment, a very sweet and intense moment, and the facial expressions are the focus. They're all wonderful that way--conveying the emotion. A big "well done" to the artist!

FF

20. Vandalier

Oct 15, 2006
    FF:

lol

Yeah. That's pretty much what I'd do too. lol.

Greg did a great job with the LAFS stuff. I try to give him and everyone else challenging material that's expressed through their art. I'm no expert (by any standard) but that's what I think art's all about.

Here's some new stuff for you guys to look at:

Title: Women of Zen
    Description: Four of the most influential women in the Zen Master universe: Sylvia (bottom middle), Visas (left), Ania (top middle), Bastila (right)
    Pen and Ink: Darryl Banks

Title: A Child's Appreciation
    Description: The result of a path taken with the guidance of an angel-- and the baby knows it.
    Pen and Ink: TG Sangalang

Enjoy!

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    These are soooo great! =D= The four-women-piece is wonderful: it has the distinct feel of four gals just out on the town, blowing off steam (and Bastila looks like she's not entirely sure it's what she wants to be doing! lol!)--awesome details in the b/g panels, too! And the little baby piece is a real heart-tug--the "ethereal finger" in the infant's grasp just made me "tear up" for a moment there! So sweet, and the family picture and little starship mobile are superb and subtle touches--just so sweet! **lip still quivering** ;)

Absolutely amazing work--it's always a treat to see what's going on with your artists! :D

FF

22. Vandalier

Oct 15, 2006
    FF:

Yeah that's how Bastila is. There were moments in the first KOTOR game where I just wanted to push her for no reason whatsoever. She was just so... snooty. Then again most "expert" Force-sensitives have that supercillious attitude that makes you want to get up and say "Just sit there and shut up." lol

I'm glad you like the baby (Neia) piece! My girlfriend fell in love with her because she looks so happy, chubby, and healthy. Initially she was taken aback by Neia being eyeless. That lasted all of two seconds before she started her high-pitched squeeing. lol

Here's some more work by TG Sangalang for you guys to enjoy:

Title: Training (Colored)
    Description: Colored version Meizas (a.k.a "Cobra Commander" as he'd like to be called {according to Zen}) training with Visas and Zen.
    Colors: Ian Sokoliwski

Title: Promise to a Child
    Description: Zen's teary-eyed point-of-view as he looks into Meizas's eyeless sockets as he tries to tell him they'll never see each other again. (Long story. lol)

Title: Naptime
    Description: Father and daughter napping after a long day.

Title: Baby Steps
    Description: Just one of the activities dads do with their baby children.

Title: Potential
    Description: Consequence of raising a child with two highly Force-sensitive parents-- trouble.

23. Vandalier

Oct 15, 2006
    Hi!

Here's some inks (by TG), colors (by Ian), and poser work (by Sandmarine) for you all to enjoy:

Title: A Child's Appreciation (Colored)
    Description: Colored version of Neia and her guardian angel (of sorts).
    Inks: TG Sangalang
    Colors: Ian Sokoliwski

Title: Force Lightning
    Description: A shocking experience.

Title: Force Crush
    Description: Visas displays her Force prowess.

Title: Visas Blue
    Description: Visas (costume beautifully re-designed by Sandmarine) and her blue lightsaber in a hyperdrive backdrop.
    Poser: Sandmarine

Title: Visas Red
    Description: Visas and her red lightsaber in front of a Dark Side background.

Title: Visas Close Up
    Description: (See title.)

Title: Descent
    Description: Visas versus Zen -- squabbling or sparring?

Enjoy!

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Great new pieces here, Vandalier! =D=

I'm so moved by "A Child's Appreciation:" just the idea that a baby would be able to "see" a guardian/protective spirit, and respond to it this way is very touching! It's a wonderful scene, and very evokative! "Force Lightning" gave me a chill the moment it came up--just the violence in the image, and the wonderful detailing to show it...just chilling! This would be awesome colored--any plans to to that? "Force Crush" is another image to give pause--just the idea that that much force could be summoned, to blast right through the chest of an armored metal battle droid... EESH!! Chills again! Superb perspective here, and a real sense of the movement, both of the droid and the hand directing the Force defense--awesome! I completely agree that Visas new costume is gorgeous! Beautiful highlighting on it, too, to show the shine of what appears to be some sort of reptile skin--just beautiful! The red and blue are both wonderful, but I'm especially fond of the close-up--it shows so much skill in the way it was rendered, with the subtle folding of the costume over her form, and the beautiful blending and highlighting of her skintones...amazing! "Descent" is full of energy--and are they actually fighting...? It looks that way to me--Visas' pose and dynamic flight don't look like simple sparring...

I really admire the skill of these artists--very very much! Amazing work, all!

FF

25. Vandalier

Oct 15, 2006
    I expected nothing less from you, FF. lol

No immediate plans to color this one. It's in line though. lol

Yeah these were pretty brutal. We were having fun with showing various outcomes of powers though.

TG's good with displaying movement. I needed to get him away from transforming cute teens into sexy harlots. lol

SM came a long way with those renders. It took him an entire week just to build her character; the hood was the most difficult part. He still won't tell me where he got that costume.

He does some exceptional Poser work. Maybe a Twi'lek next? I'm unsure. I don't understand the fuss over them. If someone could adequately explain it to me, I'd... understand more... I guess...

They're probably fighting. Whatever it is, it's probably his fault.

If anyone can adequately explain women to me, I'd be more understanding.

... Women...

Uno more to add to this gallery:

Title: Saint Zen's Visas
    Description: Visas replaces Musashi Asuka in my parody of "Fuma no Kojiro."
    Mixed Media: Rebecca Gunter

Enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.