main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Vash Goes to Ohio

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Lady_Jedi_Carenix, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    For some reason, there are pictures that aren?t showing up even though I know I uploaded them, so the numbering is off. At any rate, link to pics:

http://www.mediamax.com/samus_aran/Hosted/Vash%20Goes%20to%20Ohio%202006

Vash Goes to Ohio

I blame it on ZOO. One night over IM she started talking about wanting to go somewhere to see real fall (i.e. the leaves on trees changing color) and that she thought it would be nice to go visit Tyria for a change instead of the other way around. I happened to like the idea, and Jedi Knight Birr signed on as well, so the discussion of ?CarrieCon? was created. Unfortunately, ZOO suffered unemployment shortly before the trip was to commence, and issues popped up for Birr as well, leaving the Arizona native (i.e. me) the last woman standing for the trip. Since I had secured the days off from work pretty well in advance, I made my decision to go, secured a flight, and made the journey to Ohio in October.

Note to self: Ohio is cold in October. Perhaps should make future plans to visit in July or August.

Friday, October 20th, 2006

My flight didn?t leave until 12:55 pm, but I didn?t get to sleep in much since I had procrastinated packing. It didn?t take long since I was only going for a weekend, but I made sure to pack long underwear and extra clothes for layering purposes so I wouldn?t freeze. I packed my usual anti-boredom stuff (cd player, books) and added one: drawing. I?ve been reading a book, ?Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain? and the exercise I was on was to turn a picture upside down and draw it exactly as I saw it: upside down. I?d done one exercise like it already and was fairly impressed that the drawing didn?t completely suck. One drawing kept me busy at the airport. The second drawing I did on my first connecting flight didn?t turn out very well. The third drawing on my second connecting flight turned out fairly okay. I think I need to fly more often because while you?re at the airport or on the plane, you can?t go anywhere/do anything, so it?s a good time for reading/drawing/writing.

When I arrived in Ohio, I knew it without a doubt because I almost immediately felt cold when I stepped off the plane. Brrr. At Tyria?s, we stayed up to watch Monty Python Live on DVD before we had to crash so we could get up early for the ?skull session? in the morning. I made sure to cocoon myself under the blankets to stay warm at night.

Saturday, October 21st, 2006

Erg. It?s 7:00 am Ohio time, which means it?s 4:00 am Arizona time. Crap. While I?m struggling to wipe the cotton balls out of my eyes, Tyria secures cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Hmm. Cinnamon. Her family and mentored one arrive a few minutes before 8:00 am, so we leave on schedule. We drive to OSU, park in one of the farther parking lots (money goes to the Special Olympics, I think?) and walk a very long walk in the cold to the building where the skull session was being held. It was cold and the walk was long. Inside the building, I warmed up pretty quickly, for which I was very grateful (and the hot chocolate also helped for which I was also very grateful). A ?skull session? as best as I can describe it is a final practice for the marching bands of both football teams as a last chance to beat it into their skulls. Kind of like a school pep rally, only kind of cooler and more fun since people actually want to be there. When it was all done, I had a greater understanding and appreciation for TBDBITL (?The Best Damn Band in The Land? ? OSU marching band).

When we get out of the skull session, the sun is shining and I?m actually quite comfortable in my layers. The walk back to the car is much more enjoyable and I took pictures of trees for ZOO.

After the skull session, we went to COSI for the afternoon. It?s a very cool museum, as it has a lot of interactive yet educational displays. I think I could have played with the laser-light harp (instead of cords you block a light to get the corresponding note) for several hours alone. I particularly liked the unicycle in t

2. TyriaTainer

TyriaTainer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I too blame ZOO. It was just going to be her, then one night she informed me Carol and Mac were coming too.

Anyway, you forgot the cookie!! Before the Swordsmen did their show, there was a cookie lady selling cookies. They decided they would give a cookie to the person who had come the furthest to get there. Of course LJC blew the competition away. Then they all looked at her with a ton of respect for coming out that day..well after they looked at her like she was crazy, which we all know she is. :D

3. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    You can blame me alllllll you want. But I never held a banana to your head ;) [face_devil]

And for the record... She DID indeed LICK the X-Wing. [face_laugh] I have photographic evidence of said lickage.

4. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    i think its save to say linn liked the X wing more than anyone.

5. TyriaTainer

TyriaTainer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Doesn't matter if you did. I know Monty Python, so I know all about defense against fresh fruit!!!;):cool:

6. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    Tyria: I totally forgot about the cookie. :eek: Vash log amended. [face_blush] And yes, I'm crazy. But in a fun not psycho way. ;)

ZOO: How do I know what you might have on the other side of the IM? :p For all I know, you could have been pointing a banana at me. :p

Birr: Yesh. I do believe so. ;) :D