main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania VB Tri-Series Commentary

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, Jan 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Yeah, that's the obvious choice. Plus he can be captain for 10 years, Warne for 2 or 3 tops.

2. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    to quote any old commentator:
    "HES GONE"

the ACB have announced that he wont be selected for the one dayers in SA.

what a load of crap. he still played better than m. waugh, gilchrist, and any allrounder.

he took the fall for a bad TEAM series.

apparently, there might not be an 'I' in team, but there is still a 'u'.
    'u' are to blame.

3. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    :D I think we helped to get your Captain Fired :D

There is celebration this side of the Tasman :)

4. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    celebrate away. heh, we celebrate when we win the world cup, so i guess this is your consolation prize?

anyway, the team will probably be better off without him...i just object to him being the fall guy. the whole team did bad. other players did worse, but he took the fall.

5. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Why and how? You couldn't even beat us in the test series. And a few one day loses isn't going to lose his position, especially since he brought the World Cup back here. I'd say he just got tired of all the attention from the media. The same line of questioning all the time.

"Blah, blah, blah... selection committee"
    "Blah, blah, blah... your baggy green cap"

If any player from New Zealand can do half of what Waugh did for you guys you'll be going alright. 17 test wins in a row will go down in itself as an amazing captaincy achievment (I know he missed one of the games). Add to that the World Cup and his amazing record with the bat, and he'll go down as one of the greatest all time.

6. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I'm a little bit surprised with Ponting getting it. I guess that little bit more experence than Gilchrist counted in his favour. Looking forward to having a captain for a decade or so. Should be very interesting.

7. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Ponting aye. I'm a little suprised but I guess you guys know what you're doing.

We thrashed England on Saturday. Made 244/8 then rolled the poms for 89. :D

8. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I saw that result. Quite a good one. The Poms really can pull out a bad one. What's the series total at?

Were you at the game? If so, how was Peter Jackson? I saw a picture of him and it looked like he's let himself go a bit (I know he's always been big) but he was hiding in a big jacket and everything.

It'll be interesting to see how they use the sound takes. I'd have thought a cricket ground (especially the smaller ones in NZ) wouldn't make for great sounds cause they're so far from the middle. I'd have thought you'd get a clearer sound from a basketball stadium. Then again, maybe they had the mics on the boundarys rather than in the middle.

9. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Doing the sound thing was really cool, there's something about the new Wellington Stadium that makes everything quite close and the sound was actually really good. Especially when stamping your feet and yelling like an animal in some orcish language. Peter's a bit of a dag, really gets into it though and had the crown captivated and pretty much under his control the whole time. Excellent fun.

The poms just bet us on Wednesday so the series currently 2-1 to us with two remaining matches. Next one tomorrow in Auckland.

Big test in SA starting today, must check up at cricinfo and see if the captains are playing.

10. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Pollack is out. Boucher will be captaining SA.

Steve Waugh will play for sure, it was just a mild back problem.

I'll post the teams later on today when they're known fully.

11. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    shocking. absolutely shocking. the opening partnership was broken on 46. how could someone get out with the score in double figures?

EDIT 1: its 1 down for 100. off only 118 balls.

thats an amazing rate.

EDIT 2: ponting just got out 'caught behind' the guys on the radio make it sound like ponting missed the ball, and hit his own pad.

next time i hear people complaining that australia get all the home town decisions, remind me to point out this incident.

12. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    You're right. It's exactly the same everywhere.

It's 2 for 122 at lunch on Day 1. Mark Waugh could do with a good score. Having the pressure on his brother might do the trick.

13. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Man, Australia is piling on the runs on day two. 5/492. Martyn is approaching another century and Gilchrist hit some form with 117 from 143. And the partnership is still going.

Frig.

Do keep us updated on the NZ-Eng game. I'm interested in the result.

14. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    england won that one dayer...NZ were all out for 189 or something, and they had to get 220-odd.

aussies are doing pretty well. SA have to do something quickly to get into the match.
    at the sme time, apparently everyone think that its panic stations for SA and stuff. i am not sure why, as they are a top side, nd its only australia that can beat them. it means they need to tweak their team, not panic and change thins big time.

15. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Jeez! I totally forgot to look for that game. We don't get much coverage of ODI if Austrlia aren't involved. You really have to go looking for it.

Martyn hit two fours in a row to get his ton. Then another 5/519. Australia will bat until an hour before stumps and could have 650 by then.

16. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    BBC sport

these guys have good updates for cricket all around the world, especially involving england (duh)

but the aussies are just going great guns. its pretty good, although i will wait until i see how we bowl before i decide whether its great batting, or a great pitch.

17. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Fair dinkum. 178* for Gilly and 133* for Martyn.

This is Warne's second best ground stats wise to the SCG I heard.

Bugger. Martyn just got out. 133 for himself and a 317 run partnership.

18. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Gillie 204* wish I had seen that innings!

Mr Duckworth had a lot to do with the English win on Saturday night. Rain turned it into a 40 over match, with eng on 192. But because they had 3 wickets remaining our total got bumped up by 30 runs. Needed 223 off 40ov. Cairns had a good knock but not good enough.
    Anyhoo it will make for a good final on Tuesday.

19. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Australia rolled the South Africans on day three. 150 odd in the first innings and then 133 in the second innings. The second biggest victory in history. Warne got four wickets in the second innings and McGrath got a fiver.

20. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    wow, thats an amazing victory. truly amazing.

i missed hearing the first collapse, with SA losing 6 in the morning. i then listened to a bit, before turning ff when i went to bed, with the score 1 for 40-something. then i wake up and find out the final score.

i missed all the fun!

but wow, what an amazing victory.

21. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    apparently SA are thinking of bringing cullinan into the team.

you know things are going bad when you need that bunny to play for you.

22. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Allan Donald retired overnight leaving the South Africans in an even bigger hole.

Shane Warne became the second most prolific wicket taker as well. How many records did they break?

I know they're up against the SA-B side this week, I hope the second real test is soon, we should kill them again.

It's also 4 wins on the trot, hopefully we'll go on with it because one of the negatives about the 17 straight was that it was against mostly easy beats. SA is still ranked second.

23. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    We beat the poms 3-2, good final game. Astle hit 122. Moves onto 12 centuries in 150 matches.

Look forward to the tests now.

24. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, Astle o\/\/ns.

hmmmm wonder who will be the next injured.

:rollseyes

25. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Yeah I saw the result this morning on Usenet. Very good stuff.

How many tests in the series? 3?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.