main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania VB Tri-Series Commentary

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, Jan 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Yeah just the 3. Look forward to the day when we are recognised as a 5 test series team.

2. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    :)

How long did it take to win your first test match?

3. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Wooh! This story says it all

http://sport.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,3885723%5E9787,00.html

I never thought it would happen. Got to go, connection to disconnect...

4. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Our first test win took a while coming yes, but that was long ago. I confidently say we are better now.

We could see the whole Mark "spot ya later" Waugh thing happening a while ago :D

5. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Well we've been calling for it for ages in here! There must have been majopr infighting with the selecters and Steve Waugh over having him in the side. It's quite clear now.

6. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Who are these Newbies being thrown into the side?

7. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    A couple of Queenslanders I think. Watson is one, and I think he's the offie. Anyway, I need to catch up on all their details, but I think it was him who scored a century in the tour match against South Africa A this week.

Look for him to get a run if the 3rd test is a dead rubber, and again if it's safe in Zimbabwe. I'd say he's being groomed to take Warne's spot too.

Jimmy Maher was Mark Waugh's replacement in the ODI squad. Hayden is being moved in to the opening spot with Gillie.

8. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I'm pretty sure i've seen Jimmy Maher before. Still don't know why you keep leaving Darren Lehmann out though.

9. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Lehman is still in the ODI side as far as I know.

10. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Saw Matthew Hayden got the Allan Border award. Totally deserved it. Thought Langer probably deserved it too. Those guys are pretty awesome at the top of the order, I'll give you that ;)

11. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    You just heard about that? Who says the Kiwis are two weeks behind the rest of the world?

:p

12. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    SA are 4/73. Wow. On a decent pitch too.

I guess its to be expected given that they went into the match with a weak team, but still, they arent really doing much to help themselves get moving.

EDIT: By the way, it looks like NZ have lost the rights to co-host the 2003 Rugby World Cup

13. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Bowled out for 239. Hall (who?) got 70 at the end for the proteas. Gellespie and McGrath got 3 each. Warne and Lee got two a piece.

Australia are 0/46 at stumps. Looks like they'll run away with it. The SA pride that they restored in the ODIs here as gone out the window.

14. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    What was Shoiab Akhtars fastest ever delivery?

According to CricInfo, Lee shot one down at 157.4km/h

15. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    There was a story on baggygreen.com saying Lee broke the all time recorded record.

16. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    I just got this from the SMH:

"The 157.4kmh was quicker than Pakistan paceman Shoaib Akhtar's recorded best of 157.2kmh in a one-dayer in Cardiff against Australia last year.

Still, the ball was slower than the 160.8kmh bullet once recorded by Jeff Thomson"

Thommo went over 160.
    Lees was the fastest in the "era of the modern radar gun"

Take that Shoaib :p

17. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I was gonna add that, but just left the recorded record in.

:p

18. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    BTW, here is a BBC article about Muralis action...more arguments.

Holding says Murali doubtful

Muralitharan reached 400 wickets in 72 Tests
    International Cricket Council (ICC) bowling advisor Michael Holding has joined Bishen Bedi in casting doubt on the bowling action of Sri Lanka's Muttiah Muralitharan.
    Holding, a member of ICC's Advisory Panel on Illegal Deliveries, said he was "in 110% agreement" with the former India spinner.

Bedii, who took 266 wickets for India, claimed last month that Muralitharan's action looked more like a javelin thrower than a bowler.

Rule 24.3
    A ball is fairly delivered in respect of the arm if, once the bowler's arm has reached the level of the shoulder in the delivery swing, the elbow joint is not straightened partially or completely from that point until the ball has left the hand
    This definition shall not debar a bowler from flexing or rotating the wrist in the delivery swing

"The laws are very specific," said Holding in the April issue of Wisden Cricket Asia magazine.
    "A bowler's arm, once it gets to shoulder height, should stay straight until delivery.

"If it's bent, then it should remain bent to the same degree and should never alter. The law says nothing about hyper-extended bent or abnormal bent."

Muralitharan was cleared of throwing by the ICC in 1998 after video evidence showed his bowling arm is permanently bent due to a congenital deformity.

The same analysis, performed by the University of Western Australia, showed that Pakistan's Shoaib Akhtar had a hyper-extensive elbow, meaning it bends back on itself.

Bedi 'deliberately controversial'

Members of the Sri Lankan team on Wednesday expressed dismay at Bedi's criticism of Muralitharan.

"Bedi's remarks are really disappointing and disturbing," Sri Lanka captain Sanath Jayasuriya said.

Bedi said Muralitharan resembled a 'javelin thrower'

"He should not have said that after Muralitharan's action was cleared by the International Cricket Council."

"It is an attempt to trigger disturbance for a bowler who has been performing excellently.

Muralitharan took 80 wickets in 12 Tests last year and became the fastest bowler to reach 400 wickets, achieving the milestone in 72 Tests.

Sri Lanka coach Dav Whatmore said Bedi's remarks were unwarranted.

"It disappointed us no end but Muralitharan is a great fighter and a great bowler so he would not be distracted by such remarks," Whatmore said.

And team manager Chandra Schaffer criticised Bedi for creating controversies.

"Not very many people take Bedi seriously, I think he thrives on controversies and that's his style," Schaffer said.

"I don't see any problems for Muralitharan in future as far as his bowling action is concerned."

--------------------------------------------

My take on the controversy:

Last I heard, Murali was NOT cleared by the ICC. Instead, the ICC said there wasnt enough evidence to say anything absolute, one way or the other.
    The law states clearly that the arm doesnt have to become completely straight during delivery. What it states is that the arm is not allowed even partial straightening. Therefore those that argue that because his arm cant be completely straight then he isnt throwing (eg, his biggest fan, Tony Greig) are completely misunderstanding the rule. If his arm goes from bent to less bent then it is a chuck.
    Therefore I am one that regards Murali as a chucker. IMO, he does partially straighten his arm during the release. The only reason that he hasnt been booted out of cricket s that the ICC didnt want to upset the Sri Lankans for fear of the 'racism' tag that they enjoy throwing around (further examples include the current arguments about umpires and referees, also the match fixing problems)

19. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Yeah, he's a disgusting cheat.

20. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    The guys been chucking since he was in nappies. It's a shocker.
    What's up with SA, they are playing like Bangladesh for crying down the sink.

As for the world cup, we are just sick of the IRB telling us what we can and can't do.

21. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    A handful of half centuries last night has put the South Africans in a decent position going into day 4 tonight. The second wicket stand reminded me a lot of the Laxman/Dravid innings last year against us. Hopefully it won't turn around that far for us, but no doubt there was a major shift last night.

Michael Holding came out over the weekend to throw his doubt over Murali. He basically said there would always be an asterick next to his name, so guys like Walsh and Warne won't have to worry about not being recognised when he breaks the record. The only reason he's allowed to play is because banning him would upset an unstable playing environment further in the sub continent.

Warne also had a smirk when asked if he'd mind Murali taking over the number one spot.

22. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    SA ended up at 472-odd.

Australia needs 331 to win, and at stumps are 1/131, and therefore have to get another 200 on a pretty good wicket.

If they cant get it, they really dont deserve to win.

23. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Yeah, as long as we don't lose early wickets we should win.

How many did Warne end up with last night?

24. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    Warne bowled 70 overs, and took 6 for 161

25. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Yeah I saw. Unbelievable stuff. And on a batting wicket. He's definately still got it.

Great runout from Martyn too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.