VCD's

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by solo414, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    Dan--The VCD is AWESOME!!!! I watched it twice yesterday. Thanks for putting that together and making copies for people. YOU ROCK!! :D
  2. Idaara Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agree on the rocks part, however, is everyone else able to get them to work in their DVD players? Mine gives me a disc error and won't play it. I was able to access it on my computer, after downloading Quicktime 6 and then accessing it through the latest version of the Real Player (as twisted as that sounds, if I try to run it just under Quicktime, it crashes my computer).
  3. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, we got the disk to work Saturday night and it was fabulous! Thanks Mauler_II!!!! You ROCK! Red_05 and I thank you!
  4. CaptMereel Jedi Knight

star 3
    I, too, couldn't play it on my DVD (the manual says it will play CD, DVD and VCD's) but it kept putting up that irritating little message "Insert Disk" when the darn thing was in there and the correct side up/down. After being frustrated because I really wanted to watch it, I then noticed the disk says CD-R on it so went to my PC and it plays fine on that. Love it but really wish I could play it on my Sony DVD!
  5. A_New_HopeLily Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sadly, Catie and I arent able to play our VCD either. There's a special feature that some DVD players come with, allowing you to play burned CD/DVD's. Unfortunately, ours isnt one of them. :( *tear*
  6. Idaara Jedi Knight

star 3
    Funny, my DVD player is a Sony also...
  7. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    I have a Toshiba and it works in mine...If some people want to come over to my place, we may be able to have a small VCD party for those of you who can't view it. I just couldn't have more than a few people over. PM me if you're interested. :)
  8. Mauler_II Jedi Knight

star 3
    I know that some players can play VCDs and some can't - obviously you are all finding that out!

I can put tht movies on a regular Windows/Mac CD for those of you that want one.

Send me an email if you want me to burn you one.
  9. D-Man Jedi Padawan

FYI-Most Sony DVD players (A general rule if they have a black exterior) cannot play burned CDs. This includes any home-made VCDs.

If you want to play them, there are some free VCD players for the computer that are available. Try www.download.com .

Aside from that, if you want a DVD player that will read scratched, messed, CDRs, CDRWs, DVDRs, and any other medias that most cannot, pickup a Pioneer DVD player.
  10. jedisister Jedi Master

star 3
    In case someone still wants one, I have two that were left from the party. Let me know if you want one, unless Dan wants them back, but since he made as many as he did my guess is he doesn't. If you plan on coming to see MIBII let me know and I'll try to remember to bring them then.

By the way, if I didn't mention it already, Dan, the VCD is awesome!! As close to the movie as one can get for now!! And the Troopers was great, too. Thanks again for making those.
  11. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Neither my black nor my silver Sony DVD players will play the VCD, but my DVD-ROM drive did, of course.

I bought an Apex AD-3201 DVD/VCD/MP3/Kodak Photo CD player that works like a charm. And if it will play the bootleg DVDs I got of the original trilogy I won't have to return it! :D
  12. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I wouldn't mind taking an extra copy off your hands. I was going to ask Dan if he had any extra ones, but this will put him through even less trouble. Between the computer, the DVD player and the PS2, something we have should be able to play it.

Dwayne
  13. ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Word of advice for those of you with a Sony DVD player.

It doesn't play burned VCDs UNLESS you use Sony's CD-RWs. Other CD-R and CD-RWs don't have the proper density on the disc to be read by their DVD player. A co-worker of mine found this one out through trial and error.
  14. Swiski66 Jedi Padawan

I have a Samsung DVD player and it plays pretty much anything. One word of advice to all...be careful how detailed your postings are on the VCD copying. If you are sharing fan-made materials I think that's OK, but if you're bootlegging the movies or copyrighted materials, there might be someone out there reading the postings and crack down on the source. We wouldn't want anyone behind bars in our group...or do we...he he he. Just a friendly reminder. That's all. Carry on :)
  15. beens75 Jedi Padawan

If you want to know what will burned media will play on your DVD players go to www.vcdhelper.com and check in the compatability section. I have a Sony DVD player and it is not supposed to play any CDR's or CDRW's but it will play Digital Media CDR's from Circuit City. I got some at the store in Brookfield and from their website.

If you are into VCD's and want something that will play everything and everything, buy an APEX DVD player. The cheap $68 one at Walmart will play anything. The new Apex 1600-AD which is a little more expensive and you can get from amazon.com will even play avi files if you rename them .mpg Which is great, because if any of you make VCD's and have to encode from an AVI file you know it can take hours and even days depending on the size of the file.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.