main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Vector Prime," by R. A. Salvatore [Del Ray, 1999]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Errant_Venture, Feb 20, 2005.

?

"Vector Prime," by R. A. Salvatore [Del-Ray, 1999]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

27.0%
  2. 9

19.7%
  3. 8

25.4%
  4. 7

10.7%
  5. 6 (Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5 (Average)

7.4%
  7. 4

2.5%
  8. 3

0.8%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

6.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
  2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Vector Prime by R. A. Salvatore

[image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/vector-prime.gif]

Synoposis

Twenty-one years have passed since the heroes of the Rebel Alliance destroyed the Death Star, breaking the power of the Emperor. Since then, the New Republic has valiantly struggled to maintain peace and prosperity among the peoples of the galaxy. But unrest has begun to spread and threatens to destroy the Republic's tenuous reign.

Into this volatile atmosphere comes Nom Anor, a charismatic firebrand who heats passions to the boiling point, sowing seeds of dissent for his own dark motives. And as the Jedi and the Republic focus on internal struggles, a new threat surfaces from beyond the farthest reaches of the Outer Rim--an enemy bearing weapons and technology unlike anything New Republic scientists have ever seen.

Suddenly, Luke Skywalker; his wife, Mara; Han Solo; Leia Organa Solo; and Chewbacca--along with the Solo children--are thrust again into battle, to defend the freedom so many have fought and died for. But this time, the power of the Force itself may not be enough . . .

3. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    10. I love this novel, and it's in my top five favourite EU novels.

4. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    8. Good, not great.

5. Darth_Mikkon

Darth_Mikkon Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    This is one of the few EU novels I've read and actually enjoyed. Although it packed with action, I just can't get into a Star Wars universe devoid of the Sith. Good book, 7 out of 10. I liked the emergence of the Yuzhon Vong (sp?), especially in the absense of any new Darths.

6. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    7. Cool, but slow.

Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.

7. shaosniper

shaosniper Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2003

No 10 because it took me 3 attempts to get through the book..I kept stopping at the conlusion of the Rhommamool scene. Overall it had a good story line. Something different and new is always good

8. SwordoftheJedi

SwordoftheJedi Jedi Master star 5

Jan 7, 2005
    8 I agree it was good but not great.

I think it was a bit tedious.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  10. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    9. Not perfect but great nonetheless. I especially like how it's a completely new threat. Pretty much everything else is "Oh, the Empire/Sith came back, we have to kill them again" (not to bash the rest of the EU, I love it but it was getting kind of repetetive).

11. Lord-Vader66

Lord-Vader66 Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm not sure if anyone but me is a fan of R.A. Salvatores but I just want to say it's very rare he kills a main charecter in his books.....grumble grumble

12. shaosniper

shaosniper Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2003
    He was ordered to kill Chewie

13. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002

It was a nice beginning for the New Jedi Order.

14. TraxxasJedi

TraxxasJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2004
    9. While this book wasn't great it was a good beginning to a refreshing (though some-what dark) series.

15. Troma_Scmin

Troma_Scmin Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2005

I have only read a few EU books completely, some I couldn't even manage. But this was the first book I completed after numerous tries to get through others. It took me about a week to finish it because I was in HS yet. I loved it and read the entire NJO series. Because of this series, I have just started to read The Thrawn Trilogy. Excellent introductory book, kept me reading when I had time to.

16. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It isn't as terrible as most people make it out to be.
    I don't like the direction NJO went, but I have no problem with this novel.
    This opening trilogy of NJO, Vector Prime and the Stackpole books make for an excellent intoduction to it all.
    I enjoyed the story which seemed new and different.
    Salvatore's writing here is also better than his writing in the Attack of the Clones novel.

The book is worth it just to see how Chewie dies. You can't have much better of a death than to have a moon come crashing down on you. That part of the novel while being sad, was also fantastic.

7 out of 10
    Not perfect, but a good EU read.

-Seldon

17. Obi_One_Kenodi

Obi_One_Kenodi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 2, 2004
    8/10. It certainly wasn't perfect, but it was a very nice start to the NJO.

18. LukeSkiwalker

LukeSkiwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2004
    I rated this an 8 cause they killed the wook The second time I read it I came within a Hairs breadth of crying, honestly, isn't that sad.

19. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    I gave it a 8 as well. Good setup for the series but no need to kill the Wook.

20. Klix_Fraughn

Klix_Fraughn Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2005
    I think you are right. I like the books but it just isn't the same without the sith. That is the basis of the Star Wars universe.

21. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    I thought it was a great first book of a series

Good Stuff

22. Jedipete33

Jedipete33 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2004
    I think this is a perfect start to a new series. Finally starwars is going in a different direction from the sith and the empire. It gives us a new threat that is devoid of the force and really makes you question both sides and their intents. Plus there is just tons of action and the book is really well paced. I give this a 10 because this is where sw should be headed. In a new direction. And the darker tone of the novel doesn't hurt it either.

PS the Yuuzhan Vong have some pretty brutal deaths for people. Breaking joints and bones isn't pretty.

23. P_F_A_F_F

P_F_A_F_F Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    10, Vector Prime was a GREAT way to start the NJO. Had the perfect mix between character study and action.

24. darthmohican

darthmohican Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    I loved how all the characters stories came together in the end...and the Yuuzhan Vong r awsome and brutal....i cant emigine breaking my own nose a lot of times

25. PalpShouldLive

PalpShouldLive Jedi Master star 2

Jun 13, 2005
    Never felt an emotional attachment to Chewie, so I didn't mind him getting the axe. Enjoyed the book, got my money's worth, that's what counts. Keep it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.