main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Vector Prime," by R. A. Salvatore [Del Ray, 1999]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Errant_Venture, Feb 20, 2005.

?

"Vector Prime," by R. A. Salvatore [Del-Ray, 1999]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

27.0%
  2. 9

19.7%
  3. 8

25.4%
  4. 7

10.7%
  5. 6 (Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5 (Average)

7.4%
  7. 4

2.5%
  8. 3

0.8%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

6.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Luinel_Kun

Darth_Luinel_Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    Great Starting point! Great read for all the SW SuperFans. I love the series.

2. Jaina_Rocks160

Jaina_Rocks160 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2003
    ~~*JESUS LOVES YOU*~~

Meh.

Mediocre.

I didn't even cry when Chewie died...

~*~*~

3. Genimay

Genimay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    Kept getting to the part were Chewie died and could never get past it but I really didn't like the way it was set up.

4. DathomiranAuthor

DathomiranAuthor Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 18, 2005
    To be honest, I was very disappointed with this book. A lot of information was inaccurate, and the characterization was way off, implying poor research. For example, I believe it was stated that Jacen is the older Solo twin; had the author read previous books he would have known this is certainly not so. If the book had done better with characterization, I might have let a little mistake like that pass -- but I wouldn't have recognized the Solo children had they not been addressed as Jacen or Anakin.

Although aimed for younger readers, the YJK and JJK series formed the Solo children characters quite clearly. Vector Prime completely ignored these characterizations, and instead the characters were given entirely different and unrecognizable personalities. As a reader, the mischaracterizations were unendurable.

Unfortunately, I found no pleasure in this book. 1.

5. sisyphusrocks

sisyphusrocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2005
    The chewie scene was a triffle weak.

6. Obiyodawinduvader

Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2005

Bravo

I didn't cry when Padme died. I didn't cry when Mace died. I didn't cry when Anakin kiled the younglings. But man did I cry when Chewie died!

7. MOFF-JANGO

MOFF-JANGO Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2005
    It's in ma top 5. i give it a 9

8. Qui-Gon-Matt

Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2005
    Liked it a lot! Did not cry for Chewie, although I know some who did, and have stopped reading EU after this book. It's a shame there are some great books after this one.

9. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005

It was slow at points, but it did a great job of conveying the Vong as a threat, and of giving Chewie's death substance and not having it be a publicity stunt, although some people will always view his death that way.

10. Obi-Dude1007

Obi-Dude1007 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2005
    Hi everyone!
    Before I say anything I have to admit that I'm new to this. This is my first post.

Having said that, I would give this book an 8 out of 10. It was the first Star Wars novel that I read and I enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately, before I finished it, one of my friends told me that Chewie would die in this book. That spoiled it for me because I just kept waiting for the chapter when Chewie finally died. Everything about this book was great until I got to that part. I found his death a little disappointing. I expected a more heroic death, maybe in hand-to-hand combat with a Vong warrior. Other than that, it was a great book.

11. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    um, actually I wanted to ask this in his official discussion thread, but... it is locked.
    I read the "Icewind Dale" and "Dark Elf" trilogy by him. And I thought he really did a big step improving oin the way. The first books were, um I'm out of appropriate words allowed around here, but he got better. So I wondered if he kept it up and is now writing books actually worth reading.
    Yeah, yeah, I know you like them, but how much better are they compared to earlier stuff?

12. goblin_fire

goblin_fire Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2005
    One of the few books in my lifetime where I actually slammed it against the wall. Chewie was always my favorite character. His death was...well...a shock. However I'm glad it was a bit more exciting then his ship exploding and him dying while in EV. So at least he died heroically saving others.
    Aside from that, WOW! The new threat against the republic was very well written and entirely creepy. I thought the characters were well written and on course.
    And this book was a great start of one of the best series I've had the pleasure of reading, (Even if Jacen is a natural born whiner and hesitant about everything).

13. celestia

celestia Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    3, maybe. this was honestly the first sw book i felt really blah about! i actually put it down for two weeks in the middle because i stopped caring. chewie's death was very sad, and i guess there were some good things about it, but i don't know... really right now i'm hoping someone can motivate me to continue the series... please tell me it gets better than this!

14. Siolo_Anoon

Siolo_Anoon Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2005
    My jaw dropped, my hair raised, by eyes watered, I cried and sobbed, I was enthralled. What a great book and what a great series. I love the darkness, the grim new look on the galaxy far far away. This is exactly what I've seen between the lines of the cartoons that the expanded universe has put out, with exceptions of course. But the NJO is gut wrenching after every turn, I've cried reading each book thus far and I'm nearly through... not sure if I'm gonna make i-

15. boady22

boady22 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 24, 2003
    This was without a doubt the best book of the NJO. It is the only one I considered reading twice. It was about time for a cannon to be written off from the SW universe. They all had way too many close calls prior to this to not have lost someone yet. Still it would have been nice to see the wook rip apart a few vong before departing.

Salvatore, a genius. Sadly though, it was the peak of the NJO. Its all down here from here.

FEAR THE CHICKEN

16. Corellian_Cutie

Corellian_Cutie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2005
    Great start to a great series.

17. Jacen-Vader

Jacen-Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2005
    I agree completly with you. Is a great introdcution to the NJO Series, a introduction of the Galaxy in this years and a introdcution to the world of the Vong.

18. DocSpencer

DocSpencer Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2005
    9. The storyline was good but it was kind of boring how the Yuzhaan-Vong know how to counter every weapon the New Republic has.

19. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    this book should have been more surprising to me, but a friend (i now use the term loosely...grr.) told me about Chewie. though i was shocked, i mean, Chewie?, but once i read it, i didn't even feel sad. being told about his death really sucked. if i had read it before my friend told me, i might have felt bad. but i didn't. 8

20. DarthJango978

DarthJango978 Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2005
    8 of 10

Good beginning for NJO. This book relieved the boredom in EU for me after reading many New Republic books. Just I don't know, but Danni Que was getting on my nerves.....ah yes..the storyline developed slower than I would have liked. It took me three tries to finish the thing!

21. -Jacen_Solo-

-Jacen_Solo- Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2006
    A good begining for the NJO. Vector Prime fulfil his role as Introduction to the Yuuzhan Vong World, and the situation in the GFFA with Jedis and Politics. The Yuuzhan Vong action is so-so, except the Duel Mara Yomin that is excelent. The Chewbaccas dead is the Critic Point in all the novel, the best part.

9 OF 10.

22. Vader_The_Pimp6916

Vader_The_Pimp6916 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    i'm halfway through Vector Prime right now and so far it is good, although it's a bit slow in a few parts. I much more enjoy the stuff with Luke and Nom Anor much more than the stuff with Kyp and the Vong. I'll vote when i finish it but for now i give it an 8/10

23. Vader_The_Pimp6916

Vader_The_Pimp6916 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    Okay i finished Vector Prime, it took me a bit because of school work i had to do. The book was good but i think there were plenty of places where more action could have been inserted. It was also slow in a few parts with things that could have easily been left out to continue the story flow (such as the asteroid runs by the Solo kids. Jaina's was drawn out for too long in my opinion. The Han and Chewie run was essential though because of what happens to Chewie later in the book. I was saddened by Chewie's death and i'm glad he died protecting the ones he loved rather than going out like a punk (Plo Koon, Aayla, etc.) I also see why Anakin did what he did by leaving Chewie behind and i'm glad that Han eventually realizes why Anakin had to make that choice. I'm about to start Dark Tide 1 now. 9/10 for vector prime.

24. Han-Snake

Han-Snake Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2006

I loved the book, though it did upset me that Chewie died....It took it a minute to hit me..I'm still amazed that he got killed off...:eek:

25. 1_4_Jedi

1_4_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2006
    7/10

OK writing and alot of ground to cover = decent but not spetacular. At this point, it is difficult to form much of an opinion about anything, including the original characters. They are the same, yet they are also different and we have no idea how thay are going to handle what's coming. Once you are introduced to the Vong and state of the Jedi organization (or lack thereof) along with the NR in general, it is clear that things are taking a turn for the worse.

And then Chewie dies.

*loooooonnnnng moment of silence*

I can understand why it was necessary, and it even makes a certain amount of sense as the plot develops further into the series, but I would've prefered that just about anybody besides Chewie becomes one with the Force to make the point that all bets are off. Still, an overall good book to kick off the NJO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.