main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Vector Prime] Forumite's Official Book Reviews Panel Debut!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AnakinsGirl, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    As some of you may or may not know, We have been putting together a project to mimick what the folks over at Tf.n Books have going on. We have revised their idea, from the "Good/bad/ugly" idea to our own "Fear (awe)/Hate/Suffering (ugly)" and on a scale of ten rather than 4. We have a team of four regulars and one semi-regular which alternates monthly. First, we will review the New Jedi Order, as we have all had enough time to let it sink in and see how it affects future novels. This project is really for those who are new to the EU or to the forums, to give them an "officially unoffical" look at the books, as told by fellow fans and forumites. It is meant to build up our literature community and hopefully make newbies welcome and, ultimately, to just have fun and pretend to have authority. Read and enjoy!!!

BobaKareu
    Hi, I'm Chris. I'm a busy college student/wannabe novelist, but I'm never too busy to read Star Wars. I have the distinct honor (if you could call it that) of owning all the Star Wars novels currently in existence, and I'm well on my way to owning all the comics as well. Hey, Star Wars is a full time hobby.
    Rogue ½
    Hi, I'm Rogue. I believe in art above all things, except my faith. Film, music, literature, museum art, you name it, I love it. Obviously, I want to be a writer. Aren't you shocked?

AnakinsGirl:
    Hi, I?m Cat and I?m responsible for all this (shameless George reference? I think so...) I?m 18, senior in High School. I have a passion for journalism, webdesign and graphics design. I?m a Star Wars junkie and have been reading the books since I was 13 or so. I do believe Star Wars has set me back hundreds over all these years.

Additional Members who have yet to introduce themselves:
    Tie Pilot051999- ALEX
    000-GLADIUS
    Grand Admiral Ewok- Sanj

INTRO
    R A Salvatore opened The New Jedi Order, a series that garnered mixed reactions from fans over its five-year run, with Vector Prime. The first Star Wars novel since Zahn?s Hand of Thrawn duology, and the first one published by Del Rey Books, Vector Prime marked a new entry point into the EU. We return to our heroes as they have settled down and raised children. The New Republic has at long last made peace with the Empire and now it faces its greatest threat ? an invasion brought forth by the extragalactic marauders, the Yuuzhan Vong. By their nature unfamiliar to Star Wars, they are introduced to us primarily through three characters each carrying out a major part of the initial Vong plan. They are a rich and vividly described addition to the EU but by the end of Vector Prime, no motivation has been revealed beyond wanting to impose their fanatic anti-technology doctrines on the galaxy.

FEAR
    Sanj: Many people felt that the NJO did not ?feel? like Star Wars; in light of the prequels the true nature of the films at least has been revealed as a modern myth about good and evil. True, but this is the expanded universe, whose job it is to, well, expand on the adventures of our heroes. In my opinion, the EU characters, particularly the Solo kids, are given strong characterisations. I think Salvatore has presented us with a trio of diverse, well-rounded characters who complement each other. Jacen and Anakin?s debate about the nature of the Force, a tool for fighting injustice or a means to perfect oneself, is interesting because it illustrates the core questions at the heart of the Jedi order, which will be explored over the series (in that respect I felt that the books did live up to their NJO title).

At every step of the story we are aware of more than the characters, building a sense of dread. As Luke and Mara investigate incidents on a planet at the edge of the galaxy, we know what waits for them. And as Han, Chewie and Anakin visit Sernpidal to deliver cargo, we know they are heading for a doomed world. This is a very human story that sees them at the wrong place at the wrong time, but making the best of it that they can

2. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    *Bump for those who didn't read it*

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Look! My name!

4. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Interesting idea...

5. AnakinsGirl

Nov 2, 2001
    And an intro from Sanj:
    I'm a law student from England, and a long time lurker, seldom poster on the forums. The only EU I tend to read are the novels, but I read a great number of these. My first foray into the EU was Darksaber (it was all my local bookstore had), which I read when I was 11, after seeing ESB Special Edition (yeah I got into SW in '97).

6. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    this is a nice idea

7. AnakinsGirl

Nov 2, 2001
  8. Master-Anakin-Solo

Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2002
    This should be a sticky

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Stickies are mainyl reserved for forum resources and official discussion threads for new releases.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm suing. Q, wanna be my lawyer?

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought that's what Leto's here for? ;)

(afterall, who would mess with a sandworm-riding Vin Diesel-stunt-double lawyer? Not even Cochran would stand a chance against that! ;) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.