main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vector Prime

Discussion in 'Archive: Tulsa, OK' started by RogerRoger517, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogerRoger517

RogerRoger517 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    I have been wanting to start some discussion on the NJO series. I know that most of you have either read VP a while back or not at all, but maybe this will spark some discussion. I'm not going through the whole book, just a couple of chapters....

****THIS IS A WARNING, THIS WILL CONTAIN SPOILER INFORMATION ON VECTOR PRIME***

What is going on at the start?: Leia, Mara Jaina and C3PO are traveling in the "Jade Sabre" to the planets of Rhommamool and Osarian. Leia is on a diplomatic mission to help resolve a seemingly small conflict between the two planets. Rhommamool is lead by Nom Anor who Mara had the unpleasant experience of meeting before. Mara describes him as "the strangest man I have ever met" and that her jedi awareness saw him as blank, "As if the force had nothing to do with him". Mara herself is battling a disease which no one in the Republic has been able to isolate or cure. Even Mara's jedi power has only been able to keep the disease from competely invading her body.

The Mon Calmari crusier, "Mediator" is waiting for them at Rhommamool, who has no galactic force, to ensure that things remain peaceful. When the Jade Sabre arrives with Jaina at the helm, some Osarian Force Z-95 Headhunters to prevent Leia from meeting with Nom Anor. Despites C3PO's lack of confidence in Jaina's flying ability, the Jade Sabre easily out manuevers the Z-95's. At that time a X-wing lanched from the Mediator arrives and eventhough the Jade Sabre was in no danger, proceeds to shoot down some of the Z-95's which incents Leia as unnecessarly escalating the conflict. Deciding to proceed to the Mediator, Leia finds out the aggressive X-wing pilot was Jedi Wurth Skidder. Wurth has the repetition of being cocky as a growing number of jedi have become who have been following the thinkings of Dash Rendar. Leia then gives Wurth a proper undressing and starts to plan how to repair her mission.

So what is up with this Nom Anor? Mara is correct that he is not a typical tyrant, in fact there is nothing typical about him. He is a Yuuzan Vong. His motivation has nothing to do with Rhommamool, he only wants to undercut confidence in the New Republic and the Jedi. He is interested in Mara though and the fact that she is walking around.

So What else is going on?:

Another Yuuzan Vong, Yomin Carr is on the planet of Belkadan at outer rim outpost called Ex-Gal 4. The outpost is to survey the galactic rim for any activity. Yomin Carr is setting out to cut the posts communications and hamper the sensors toward a particular sector.

So who is these Vong and what are they up to?:

The Vong is a race from beyond the galactic rim who is planning a invasion. The invasion is very well planned with operatives in several areas. They have a hatred of all machines and a weird love of pain.

So how are they not spotted?:

The Vong use genetically altered lifeforms as we use technology. To change their appearance they use what is called "ooglith masquer" which grows on their body's like a second skin. There is also "villips" for communication and many many other little creations.

What is Luke doing?:

Luke is on Coruscant meeting with the New Republic Advisory Council with the Chief of State Borsk Fey'lya. The councel is questioning Luke of the actions of Wurth Skidder at Rhoommamool and about the growing number of jedi going out in the galaxy making "it seems" their own policy. Luke is does not give the councel any specfic comment. He does have a conversation with Jacen afterwards of the for a Jedi Councel to provide a singular purpose and direction. Jacen feels that the force is best directed on a individual bases and the politics of a Jedi Councel would ruin the Jedi.

How abou Han?

He, Chewbacca and Anakin are also on Coruscant working on the Falcon as always. Luke shows up and tells Han that he needs to travel out to the rim to see about the jedi causing problems. The Jade's Sabre soon arrives and they make plans to go see a old friend, Lando.

Thats where I'm leaving off. I

2. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    Jacen was very whiny. Kyp was going to the extreme and pushing the boundries of what a Jedi is to be.

I also liked how the New Republic and Jedi got thier asses handed to them. It was a good swift blow to show that nothing is sacred any more... then of course there was Chewie.

3. RogerRoger517

Jan 1, 2002
    Jacen certainly seems to be following the great Skywalker tradition of being a "whiner".

4. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Well one of them had to display the whine gene. And Jacen drew that genetic straw so to speak.

What I really liked about this book was that the safety net was yanked out from under them. I agree it was done in a drastic way, but with all the near misses this family has been thru. I don't think another near miss would have shown what great of threat the galaxy is in.

Cheiwie's death, it rocked everyone to the core. I mean he was a constant figure in all their lives and to have that taken away, well its a pyschological blow. As later books show, look what Han goes thru.

5. GENERAL_FEL

GENERAL_FEL Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    "I mean he was a constant figure in all their lives"

Calli, let me correct you. I'm sure what you really meant to say was

"I mean he was a constant figure in all OUR lives"

:) Nuthin but luv

6. RogerRoger517

Jan 1, 2002
    When the book first came out I read it and was a little put off by the way Han withdrew himself after Chewy's death. Especally his attitude towards Anakin. After reading it the second time, though still overdone IMO, I think that Hans attidude was to show how everyone's world had just been turned upside down.

7. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Hehehe

Roger, I think Han's reaction represented all our reactions as a collective. I mean like Jake said above, Chewie was a constant in peoples lives.

yeah, Han was rough on Anakin. But he was upset, granted thats not an excuse.

8. RogerRoger517

Jan 1, 2002
    A couple more things from VP.

Mara was the first Jedi to face a Vong in battle. Score Jedi 1, Vong 0.

It was also a little too typical that Lando was located in the middle of the battle and just happened to have some shieldships on hand when needed.

My favorite line: Han was upset when Jacen and Jaina took off on a dangerous mission without the consent of anyone. Luke told him, "get used to it and enjoy it while you can, you won't be able to keep up with them much longer. I could feel Han aging by the page in this book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.