main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Veers' Death

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Zethlin_Maximus, Aug 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    It was always intended that General Veers should have met his fate at the hands (wings) of a Snowspeeder crashing into the cockpit of his AT-AT. Should General Veers' death be filmed for the eventual DVD release of ESB? I think it should.

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Hopefully it will be in the deleted scenes. If the scene is put back in the actual movie it would mess up the continuity of the EU, since Veers died in Dark Empire.

3. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Like ol' GL says, the EU don't mean ****. It's his trilogy, and he'll make it how he wants it to be made. And he wont be dictated to by the EU. Like you, I never went much on most of the EU myself. Most if it is just way too off bat. I hope he puts it in, because the scene looks to be very dramatic.

4. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    I guess Lucas can put it in and not mess up the EU anyway. In Dark Empire it was stated that Veers was injured during the Battle of Hoth when a Rebel crashed into his AT-AT. He was left crippled but was the only one to survive.

5. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Really?! I didn't know that! Blimey! As a matter of fact, you do see a bit of what was originally intended to be Veers' death in the present and original cut of ESB. The bit where the head of the AT-AT explodes and the walker falls over sideways was originally going to be Veers' death scene.

6. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    Like ol' GL says, the EU don't mean ****. It's his trilogy, and he'll make it how he wants it to be made. And he wont be dictated to by the EU. Like you, I never went much on most of the EU myself. Most if it is just way too off bat. I hope he puts it in, because the scene looks to be very dramatic.

First off, you might want to edit that ;)

Second off, I would Love it to death if you would show me where he says that the EU Isn't canon!

Anything with a LFL Stamp goes.

The EU Explains he hadn't died there but in the Battle of Balmorra, Much, Much Later.

7. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Veers is only injured in the battle of hoth, so I dont think an additional scene is needed to show his death.

8. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I'd love to see a deleted scene like that. It'd be very similar to Piett's death in ROTJ but would still be good.

9. The___

The___ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    "Should General Veers' death be filmed for the eventual DVD release of ESB?"

No.

10. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
  11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Because Veers died 7 years later.

12. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Only in the EU (non-canon). Don't you realise by now that most of the EU (except for Shadows of the Empire) are just books written by people that have NOTHING to do with GL. They're just glamourised fan fiction, that's all.

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    They are not fan fiction, and they are canon.

Also, Shadows of the Empire is no more official than any other piece of EU.

14. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Lucas had a big part in SOTE's creation. It was a big multi-media experiment conducted by GL's empire, which brought in a selection of companies to make merchandise for the story as if it were another Star Wars movie. That's more than can be said for all the other books. Anything that isn't connected directly with any of Lucas's companies is reguarded as purly speculation and isn't written in stone, hence GL is free to contradict such speculation (a.k.a. the EU) at will.

15. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    Well you can still have the scene in the movie without actually seeing Veers die. Veers was seriously injured so you can still show the AT-AT blow up without messing up the continuity. Veers was just lucky and managed to survive the big explosion.

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, he saw Hobbie's speeder flying towards his AT-AT's cockpit, and he ran away as fast as he could. Veers' legs were damaged beyond repair though, so he spent the rest of his life in a hoverchair.

17. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Personally, I don't think that Veers needs to get injuried, much less get killed in the battle of Hoth.

If anything, they should leave it the way it is. Veers earned a brilliant victory on Hoth. If just to further demonstrate that the Empire Struck back;

Veers should live.

Besdies, if anyone wants to see Mr. Glover kick the bucket, I'd recommend the Last Crusade.

;)

18. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Anything that isn't connected directly with any of Lucas's companies is reguarded as purly speculation and isn't written in stone

Wow! All those LucasFilm copyrights on the back of all my EU books must be figments of my imagination.

19. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Not to mention the "Star Wars" logo. ;)

20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm sure we're not attempting to have a canon discussion here, since that would inevitably lead to a dead end.

21. The___

The___ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    "Why not?"

My answer to that question would be that the movie works fine now without it, and adding it would be lame. The character's demise isn't important enough to the story, so going back and editing in a new death/injury scene would be an extreme waste of time, energy, and money.

Not worth the trouble.

22. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Okay then, GL has already contradicted the EU at least once, because in the EU C-3PO is said to be about 200 years old, or there abouts. But in PM GL showed that Anakin made 3PO 32 years before ANH. Explain that one!

Yes, there is Lucas Film copyright on everything Star Wars, including independent authors' work, but that's only because they had to buy the copyright from Lucas in order to write their "speculation". And GL does inspect all the works for quality, but he has said that if he wants to he will freely rewrite history and contradict the EU whenever he sees fit. So yes, Veers can still die in The Battle of Hoth if GL wants him to, no matter what the EU says.

23. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Okay then, GL has already contradicted the EU at least once, because in the EU C-3PO is said to be about 200 years old, or there abouts. But in PM GL showed that Anakin made 3PO 32 years before ANH. Explain that one

How about Anakin found the wreckage of a protocol droid and rebuilt him? You seriously think a nine year old kid can make a protocol droid with 6 million languages all by himself? 3PO came off a production line, got wrecked, and then Anakin rebuilt him.

24. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    Read KnightWriter's post, this is going nowhere :p...

Back on topic; No, I like the idea of Veers surviving, it makes him the most succesful Imperial officer of the movies. The only commander that won a massive battle against the Rebellion.

25. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    As Spike2002 said: 3PO is build from spare parts that Anakin has found. Those parts are 200 years old.

And ontopic: Nope i dont whant to see it because it will contradict the EU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.