Oceania Vegemite for morons

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Katana_Geldar, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
  2. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
  3. Viceroy_NuteGunray Jedi Master

star 4
    What a bright idea. Americans at times seem so stupid.
  4. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Correction: at times they ARE so stupid
  5. Viceroy_NuteGunray Jedi Master

star 4
    Good point. It's a wonder how they won their war of independence against Britian. Should have stayed under British rule.
  6. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    It's not the fact that America won, more like Britain lost.

Didn't you pay any attention in Tom's lectures, keygan? ;)
  7. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It was the French's doing anyway.
  8. Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Master

star 4
  9. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    You betcha! =D=

But will the Americans admit it? [face_shame_on_you]
  10. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    And people think I'm the only person on here to point out American stupidity, arrogance, bad smell...
  11. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Excuse me. Have you seen the official VicFF signature?
  12. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, yeah. But I'm the only one who seems to have been flamed for it.

Actually, it wasn't a flame, it was like a little spark trying to be big and important...
  13. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I've been sparked once or twice via PM for this, too. You should try it one day, and then go posting in the JCC. Fun times.
  14. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    Nah, I stay out of the JCC these days, and I feel much smarter for it.
  15. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
  16. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Australians are Gods amongst men, Americans are fat and stupid, the British have bad teeth and pale skin, the French smell and have hairy armpits, the Germans wear pointy hats and like sausages, the Irish are dumb (but at least they aren't FAT like those Yankees, heehee), and Chinese people wear straw hats and only eat rice. Now that we've got the national stereotypes out of the way, can we get over ourselves? :)
  17. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    You forgot about how New Zealanders like to fornicate with sheep and can't say "chips" properly...
  18. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, and how when we play cricket against them they try and "hut bug suxes"
  19. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Ignorance, contrary to popular opinion, is not bliss.

Nor for example are bigoted generalisation cool.

E_S
  20. Viceroy_NuteGunray Jedi Master

star 4
    Of course I do mel. The British just gave up because the French and the Spanish were helping the Americans and it was too much of a hassle for the British to send re-enforcements. Anyway you've made your point which I agree with, Americans at times are stupid.
  21. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    Wow, that was really informative.

I guess I will need that for later.

22. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    It's funny that so many of you who prattle on with this faux-worldly tint about Americans have never of course been to America but instead rely on people like Michael Moore to "educate" you on the "evils" of American society. Why is there no sheep smiley when I need one?

ES
  23. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    You're right, I've never been there.

I have had plenty of experience with several Americans however, and on a percentage scale, I can say very few of the ones I have encountered have not lived up to the loud mouthed, red necked arrogant stereotype.

I will concede two things however.

1) The Americans I have had to deal with have predominantly been of the military type. Who, btw, exhibit the qualities I mentioned previously in spades. They also seem to be incredibly stupid, and, as a military force, startlingly inneffective.

2) The only other ones I've dealt with have been tourists, backpackers or some other description of visitor to our country.

Like I said, there have been some exceptions, but I can only conclude that the USA treats it's citizens the way we treat our beer.

They export the crap.
  24. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6

Because if we rely on Michael Moore to educate us we must think ALL Americans are awful!
  25. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    See SM, you'll end up hoisted by your own petard on that.

Americans who travel are some of the most amazing, considerate, and decent people I've met. They enjoy winding Canadians up too, which is fun ("What part of the states are you from?" "I'm from Canada, ey! Can't you see this big maple leaf on my backpack ey?" "Oh, so why do you talk like Americans?" "We have our own accent ey, which is different!" "Nah, sounds the same..." etc). And the reason they travel is they don't want to be ignorant jackasses, but rather to see the world.

And in the US, you'll never be treated better. They're polite to a fault, accomodating, and genuinely interested in what you have to say. Sure, there are pockets of humanity which are crying out for evolution, but we have that too in the grottier enclaves which are breeding grounds for crime and bigotry. If you were showing someone around Sydney, SM, would you expect them to take Liverpool as an accurate cross section of the city?

What they have is a sense of nationalist pride which can blind them to their faults, but it's only because they actually believe in something passionately - their country. We don't as much. We're proud as punch to be Aussies, but only because we don't have to lift a finger doing it (unless it means buying a Wallabies jersey or the like). So whilst the "untravelled" American is frequently an overbearing bozo either online (where you'd currently deal with them), or their first time overseas (and I know some ex-soldier types, from what they say most of the troops didn't interact with the locals much so they're kinda insular), it's an exception rather than a rule.

Frankly, part of my problem is I don't like generalisations which are intellectually lazy. The current trendy climate is to bash America and it's usually rehashing someone's opinion of someone's opinion of what happen (eg: Bush stole the election. Look up electoral college, he won). I've been to the US. I live with an American here in Taipei. Can they get on my nerves sometimes? Sure. So can anyone.

E_S
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.