1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

Oceania Vegemite for morons

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Katana_Geldar, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Wo budong! :(

E_S
  2. LINQ0311 Force Ghost

star 2
    Michael Moore is a complete idiot. I live in America, and I know that more than half of this country can't stand him. Even more than that KNOW he is nothing more than a propaganda artist. If Moore really wanted to help people understand his point of view, or a true issue, why does he ask $35,000 dollars to speak at a college? Greater men than him do it for free all the time.

Geez, seems like a lot of folks don't like Americans here. Ouch! I think everyone I know likes Australia. My Dad is from Canberra, and I have been to Australia a few times. The folks there are always really cool, and very welcoming. Australia is a great example of how a lot of places in the world should try to be. I think that if a lot of you guys here actually came to America, the people for the most part would be really cool to you. But there are probably a few elitist morons that would turn their nose up at you, so I have to apologize for them.
  3. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Yes, but to be fair LINQ none of them actually have been to America or know Americans; they just regurgitate some other trendy lefty anti-American opinion they picked up somewhere.

E_S
  4. Loopster Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Oh come off it E_S. You're guilty of US bashing just as much as anyone here is. In the Senate you're renown for it.
  5. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    It's simply a case of tall poppy syndrome
  6. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    When we are referring to 'them' ES, i'd be interested to see who you include. After all, it wouldn't hurt to name names, and I really don't think there would be that many US-bashers.
  7. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    It should be noted at this point that the official VicFF motto refers only to Americans who refuse to take a bath, and to be honest who wouldn't be proud of not being them?
  8. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah. For some reason though, they don't seem to take me seriously when I PM back that answer (after their complaints)
  9. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Bull, U, I mean Loopster.

Neither of those statements are true, but your attempt at tall poppy cutdown is noted and dismissed.

E_S
  10. Loopster Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Denial.

Tall poppy? You? :rolleyes:
  11. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    I criticse things that are wrong with US policy, I'm not Capt. Blanket Anti-American Statements so I'm actually going to call PPOR.

E_S
  12. Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been to American more times than I care to remember and if nothing else there is one generalisation that I must (without malice) say is true - most Americans are globally blind. As a result they tend to do silly things like assume people can't see through their facade of policies to the truth of human greed.
  13. Loopster Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Gun control thread in the Senate.
  14. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    o_O

Would that be where I suggested that they were different from us and thus couldn't apply their standards of firearm ownership to us?

I've been accused plenty of times of being anti-American, despite any evidence to back it up, and the PPOR usually gets the same result it did here.

E_S
  15. Loopster Jedi Youngling

star 4
    You've been accused of being anti-American plenty of times but my assertion you're renown for it is wrong huh?

Sorry, but I'm not trawling through hundreds of pages of posts to find your individual ones. Don't believe me? Whatever, let's just leave it alone.
  16. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
  17. Loopster Jedi Youngling

star 4
    As I couldn't be arsed looking though threads for examples, please consider this a full and total retraction.
  18. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    most Americans are globally blind. As a result they tend to do silly things like assume people can't see through their facade of policies to the truth of human greed.

It's just that on the whole, America is idealistic. It comes from us being largely insulated from world affairs by virtue of the oceans, but at the same time, being thrust into the world leadership role.

Let's look at a rather mundane example. How would a "Captain Australia" be viewed by those within Australia itself?

Yet, America is filled with all the "Captain Americas, Rambos," etc.. one can shake a stick at. It's not just that Captain America is a cool character, it's that most believe in the ideals he represents.

I think with the bipolar world over, America is getting better at adopting a global mindset, but it also takes cooperation from everyone.

As has been mentioned, I don't think one view is automatically "better" than the other, they're just different, and what makes us all unique in our own way.

Everyone can learn from everyone else, and our differences can certainly be turned into strengths.
  19. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    (Not only do I agree, but I'd suggest that post is better if you play "Hope and Glory" in the background [face_flag])

E_S
  20. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    I think it also comes down to the human emotion of fearing the unknown. Well, maybe not "fearing" in all situations, but differences always stand out more than something that is mundane.

As an example, I can't help but think of a family friend of an old girlfriend I had, who was from Australia, and who stayed with my girlfriend's family here in the States for quite a while. (she met my girlfriend's sister in nanny college and came back to the States for work)

Anyway, Ruth was from Launceston, and she was the nicest girl one could meet. However, Ruth also had racial attitudes that would make Hitler himself blush, which were quite shocking when she got on a roll.

I don't know what kind of city Launceston is. But I certainly didn't judge all Australians for the attitudes that Ruth had. I didn't even judge Ruth for those attitudes beyond what they were.

Every person is who they are, with both strengths and weakness.

Actaully, the Australian city of Launceston is a good example for this thread as well. As I understand it, Launceston was named after the original British city. However, due to regional dialects, the two have come to be pronounced differently.

In Australia, it's Lon-cess-ton.
    In the original English, it's Lawnston.

The fact that Australians pronounce it differently doesn't make them stupid, it's just that the regional dialects are different, which add to the character. It's no different than if an American version of a movie changed "quid" to "dollars."
  21. Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Master

star 4
    Well said. As you note, respect for others can only help.
  22. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Vegemite for Morons =/= arguing about Senate posting habits. I'd expect better from a mod.
  23. Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought the two were related :p
  24. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    [face_talk_hand]

E_S
  25. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Not to fight someone else's battle, but the discussion on the Senate issue ended four hours before you posted Hawk - and Ender didn't even start the "argument"!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.