main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

vegetarianism

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by AnakinsGirl, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Special_Fred

Special_Fred Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    :rolleyes: How the hell can you not count fish as meat? I've met people like that, and I just don't understand it. It's flesh that is harvested from a fresh-killed animal. That's pretty much how I define meat.

2. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    LOL...There are people who rationalize eating fish and still being vegitarians.

3. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Sorry this is so late.

people are dumb and mean, that doesnt mean i would justify or even have the craving to slaughter them, throw them on the barbeque and dig my teeth into their juicy red flesh.

Animals just react. They don't think. People react and think.

Perhaps the animal kicked or bit you because it felt threatened, or was trying to get away? My cats do that sometimes, it doesn?t mean they?re worthless organisms that deserve to be killed mercilessly.

I've been kicked by animals feeding them or walking through their pen. I'm sure they felt threatened by something a quarter of their size carrying a bucket of food for them.

4. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    Yeah eating meat is mentioned all the time in the bible. Sacrafising the ram in the old testiment. The slaughtering of lambs are frequant in both testaments. Jedi 33 Dogs might have souls although that in it's self is debateable, but to say a cow had a soul is saying a bit much.

5. Green_Jedi33

Green_Jedi33 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2004
    I said:

So, as you can see, animals have souls.

Whoops. My bad. Brain fart. I meant that animals are souls, they don't possess them, as OB1 pointed out.
    :) Thanks OB!

Jedi 33 Dogs might have souls although that in it's self is debateable, but to say a cow had a soul is saying a bit much.

It's not my place to tell you weather or not to go with what the bible says on this matter.

The scripture reads, "domestic animal." The most widely owned domestic animals of the Israelites were bulls, asses, lambs, etc.

Personally I don't create my own beliefs on this subject.

I recognize that the inspired scripture is referring to all animal species.

6. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    yeah...no I really can't believe there will be a garden full of cows in heaven.

7. Darth-Zame43

Darth-Zame43 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2004
    It's not the meat that taste good, it's the things they put on it.

I've been a vegetarian for about half the year now, and I do think it's healthier. From sleeping better and waking up easier, to not getting sick this holiday season( and I used to get very sick during every Christmas season).
    I don't understand how somebody can say it's okay to put another being in pain, kill it, and eat it. It doesn't matter what species you are. Humans have this thing for thinking they're better than every other living thing on this planet because they have the power to kill other beings.

You have the right to do whatever you want, but that doesn't make what you do right. If people spent half as much time planting things that can be used to eat instead of "domesticating" other animals and killing them, people wouldn't be put in a situation in which they had to kill.

On a similar note, humans need to quit breeding, there is not enough real food and resources around to support you.

8. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Actually the point about Jesus eating meat is a valid point, according to the jewish culture if his discples were showing him hospitality, and roasted there best lamb that they saved for a special event. It would be considered very rude to turn that down, Jesus was not rude, he would have eaten what was put before him. Although he came from a very modest family, he did attend a wedding where wine and food where served, actually he made some wine himself, but meat must have been on the menu as well.

And he helped his disciples catch lots of fish, to sell and eat.

So if the son of God can eat meat so can I. :)

But I am pretty sure Adam & Eve were vegatarians to start with, maybe humans will go back to that someday as it seemed to be a part of God's orginal purpose, and I wouldn't mind. Because if we change back I know we will have enough varity of non-meat food to keep us all happy.

9. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    I agree blue Jedi 33 :)

10. Green_Jedi33

Nov 9, 2004
    no I really can't believe there will be a garden full of cows in heaven.

When did I say they would go to heaven? :confused:

...a "garden" in heaven???

The bible never says that any animals will go to heaven. Neither is there any indication that righteous men (Moses, David, Enoch) would go either...

...there's more to the scriptures than you seem to currently know.

Righteous "souls" don't automatically have a heavenly destination... but this is for another thread.

Sorry for derailing it so much already.

11. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    so...since an animal gets scared over stupid things, it deserves to be eaten? right. it's *deliberately* ebing frightened or obstinate so that you can feel superior and want to eat it. it's doing it alllll on purpose, just to prove how much better you are.

humans get scared over rediculous things too, you know. your logic astounds me.

12. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    green Jedi 33 you misunderstand me. You suggest every animal has a soul, well a soul goes to heaven when the person (or animal dies) and a garden was a figure of speech. It's even more ludacris to imagine a cow or such animal in a mansion or hall.

13. lomion

lomion Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2004
    But I am pretty sure Adam & Eve were vegatarians to start with, maybe humans will go back to that someday as it seemed to be a part of God's orginal purpose, and I wouldn't mind. Because if we change back I know we will have enough varity of non-meat food to keep us all happy.

I won't even touch on whether Adam & Eve existed. Science though suggests that it was when early humans began eating meat that they gained the advantage needed to become what we are today.

Meat is good at growing brain matter, combine that with the need to be more social and cooperative for hunting, and you can see how it led to humans today.

14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The only objection I have is people who eat fish and claim they're vegetarians

15. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    And why might you object to this, halibut? ;)

I do wonder about the reason for that. I guess it's a rather different sort of meat -- enough of its own thing that I know several people who, disliking no other type of meat, don't like any sort of fish. On the other hand, I wonder if this difference is substantially different than red/white meat.

It seems likely to me that at root the truth is that chickens, cows, etc. are cute barnyard animals we all grew up liking and reading stories about as kids, while fish are cold and wet and slimy and don't have the same cutesy imagery or emotional resonance. If somebody's got a better justification for it, I'd be interested to hear.

-Paul

16. Green_Jedi33

Nov 9, 2004
    a soul goes to heaven

enlighten me.

please use scriptures...

17. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    You suggest every animal has a soul, well a soul goes to heaven when the person (or animal dies) and a garden was a figure of speech. It's even more ludacris to imagine a cow or such animal in a mansion or hall.

I think you need to re-read his posts.

He meant to say that animals are souls just as we are souls. We do not posses such an entity that is separate from the body, and floats away when we die.

Animals just do not go to heaven. Plain and simple.

But like he and Bluejedi said that is discussion for another thread!

18. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Animals have souls just like we do. No more, no less. I believe that.

That said, I do eat meat. I like the taste of meat. But there is no doubt that animals have souls to me.

19. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    so basically, eating meat is essentially the same as killing your brother and then eating him.

i do not believe animals have souls. however, they are living creatures and should be respected.

20. BLACKJEBUS

BLACKJEBUS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I don't get your logic. Plants are living creatures too.

I don't see the difference with raising plant crops just to kill them and eat them, or raising cows like a crop and killing and eating them.

21. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    It seems likely to me that at root the truth is that chickens, cows, etc. are cute barnyard animals we all grew up liking and reading stories about as kids, while fish are cold and wet and slimy and don't have the same cutesy imagery or emotional resonance. If somebody's got a better justification for it, I'd be interested to hear.

I heard once that it goes back to the bible. It is claimed that Jesus was a vegetarian but ate fish. However there is a verse somewhere which implies he did in fact eat meat. I think it may be when he dines at the tax collector's house.

http://www.jesusveg.com/

This site apparently proves that Jesus was a veggie. Personally I found it to be one of the most hysterical sites I've ever seen. Are these guys for real????

22. Darth-Zame43

Darth-Zame43 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2004
    I don't get your logic. Plants are living creatures too.

I don't see the difference with raising plant crops just to kill them and eat them, or raising cows like a crop and killing and eating them.

Plants do not have Nervous Systems.

23. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Plants do not have Nervous Systems

Not like ours no.

But they do react and respond to environmental stimuli just as our nervous system allows us to do.

Which brings me to a the fascinating topic of "meat-eating" plants.

Lets look into this cruel method of eating aninmals.

[face_thinking]

Lets see we have the venus fly trap.
    We have the drosera or sundew.
    Then there is the pitcher plant, and bladderwort all of which cruely eat insects.

While some would consider they are not animals per say they are creatures that are souls, that have nervous systems, and that provide necessary elements required by such plants to survive.

So if plants can eat animals why can't we?

How do veggitarians cope with this fact?

I say we extinguish all of the cruel plants that barbarically kill innocent bugs for their own eating pleasure.

[face_laugh]
    :rolleyes:

24. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    Animals just react. They don't think. People react and think.

You have got to be kidding. Of course they think, they have to think otherwise they couldn't live. Their brains are just like ours and compute information like ours. If you analyze why an animals does the things they do you'll come to understand that they're really not that different than we are.

I've been kicked by animals feeding them or walking through their pen. I'm sure they felt threatened by something a quarter of their size carrying a bucket of food for them.

A quarter of their size??? Are you a midget or were you feeding a dinosaur? I don't see what size has to do with anything anyway, if I saw a mouse I'd scream like a little girl. Since they can't communicate with you they have no idea what your intentions might be or even that you're carrying food. But a lot of animals will learn what your intentions are, and they won't kick your butt when they realize you always bring them food.

25. Green_Jedi33

Nov 9, 2004
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bwa ha ha ha hah!

[face_clown]

Edit:

But a lot of animals will learn what your intentions are, and they won't kick your butt when they realize you always bring them food.

...and in that vien why not do the world a favor and walk directly toward a pack of lions... they will know that you're bringing them food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.