main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Vehicles/Tech in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by DaddlerTheDalek, May 17, 2016.

1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I thought about that too. The way I justified it in my head is that the tolerances for such a jump might be very low... maybe lower than what most navicomputers, or droids could typically do. I'm guessing that in a gravity well, the calculated path would have to be extremely precise to avoid gravitational shearing forces. So there would be plenty of risk. They never say that on screen, of course, but it makes sense in my head. Like you, I am interested in the technology, and I try to find explanations that are plausible and match the evidence.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Another possibility is that maybe the closer a ship is to a gravity well, the more strain it puts on the hyperdrive. I vaguely remember a line from the original SW novelization when Han said something about a bad jump turning his hyperdrive into a pile of scrap metal. To me, that means it's theoretically possible, but with the risk of failing and being stranded. If the pilot knows for sure he's going to die if he doesn't make the jump, then the risk is worth it; better slim odds than no chance at all.

Strongbow likes this.
  3. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I recall dimly from the Thrawn trilogy that Luke attempted to use his X-Wing hyperdrive while in a tractor beam. I think he made his escape but it burned out the hyperdrive.

4. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Tarkin: "Hmmm..... the original plans for the Death Star are stored on Scarif, are they not?"

Maybe the inclusion of the word original indicates a secondary copy of the plans are stored at another site. Have one collection of military designs housed at the military complex for easy access, and another archival collection of designs housed off-site, hidden safe beneath a mountain on another planet. Carbon Ridge on Jakku? Perhaps its name was inspired by Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Ridge_National_Laboratory

.....or perhaps a bit of Iron Mountain as well:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Mountain_(company)#Expansion_and_consolidation_:_2000_till_date

5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

That would make sense, especially when it came time to build the second Death Star: they bring out the second set of plans, make the necessary changes, and voila!

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Question that's probably answered in a book that I don't have: what are those things on Jyn's backpack when she's dressed up as an Imperial? When the still photos came out, I though they looked like the hilts of some kind of melee weapons, but after watching the movie, I'm thinking they might be some kind of portable scanner apparatus.

7. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    They look as if to be "nun chuks" but are the flagging sticks used to light a signal for landing spacecraft. I believe that is what you asked. She has a few contraptions on there.

Import_Jedi and Jester J Binks like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Signaling wands? It was broad daylight the whole time they were on Scarif. I used to use them to direct aircraft in and out of parking spots, and they're no use until it gets dark. Unless they're some kind of high-tech laser things, which could be possible with Imp technology.

vncredleader likes this.
  9. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    I find it humorous that the packaging for this character makes it look he's welding weapons.

[​IMG]

10. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Hmmmmm I've seen ground crew use those paddles at our airports here in the UK in day time. Usually hiviz ones.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, in daylight you use big brightly colored paddles. Those things on Jyn's back look even less like paddles than they do like lighted wands. And even if that's what they are, I can't think of any good reason to wear them on your back like ninja swords.

12. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    Did anyone else find it odd how the lasers interacted with the shields in the space battle? It appeared as if when the lasers made contact with the shields on the rebel ships they where exploding on the hull as opposed to dispersing on the shields.

13. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    Yavin IV hangar launch had an Aircraft Director with ‘small’ lighted wands. He would guide or taxi the aircraft between various ground positions (parking, maintenance, launch).

00:46

A Landing Signal Officer guides the aircraft down from the air and uses large daytime flags. I couldn't quickly locate an image of an LSO using lighted wands in the role of day, or night, landing. Commercially available lighted wands certainly exist of the dimensions seen in the film. Here's evidence from WW2 that 'large' lighted wands were used.
    http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/CV/1945MayCVNightDeckLights.html

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Rebels Recon did a 24 minute video of references/connections in Rogue One, includes some new HD footage of parts of the Space battle.

15. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    According to that video you mentioned, Pablo says that Saw's hideout is roughly ten miles from Jedha city. :confused:

In essence, if the cloud was traveling faster than 7 miles/second I could buy it.

11:30

16. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Hmmm don;t see paddles used, but at least when I fly, they used wands to direct planes. On carrier decks, wands are not normally used in the day, but I have seen them used on occasion.

17. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Sarge wrote

Signaling wands? It was broad daylight the whole time they were on Scarif. I used to use them to direct aircraft in and out of parking spots, and they're no use until it gets dark. Unless they're some kind of high-tech laser things, which could be possible with Imp technology.

How about flashlight wands for civilian airports?

Many years ago I wanted to to glider (sailplane) flying (where you often don't have communication equipment aboard) and one of the first practical tests I had to undergo was to be able to tell the green flashlight in the distance (clear to land) from the red one (do not land).

In case an Imperial vehicle would suffer communications failure, such flashlight wands could be rather handy and practical.

18. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    I am briefly tempted to think that this humanizes the Empire by giving a glimpse into a value placed on individual pilots. But then TIEs and their pilots have consistently been depicted as expendable. In distinction to certain shuttles carrying very important persons who make people kneel, which are the opposite of expendable. Where a welcome wagon like this is a bit of additional theatre. Or the turtle transports carrying very important goods. Or whatever moves around on the archive planet, or other planets, that is so peculiar that it gets not-low-visibility orange. I can't think of a case where the archive planet should be expecting damaged TIEs coming in for a landing that have to be waved off.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Hernalt

I'd say it depends on the costs. A TIE fighter and the training invested into its pilot probably justifies the extra options provided by a flashlight wand.

20. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Maybe not the right place for this, but did anyone else find it odd that on Eadu - one of THE principal areas for superweapon production - the "air-raid" warning didn't go off until the Rebel fleet were right on top of the facility? There was a good justification for this place to be planet-shielded like Scarif, but in lieu of that, surely there were SD's in orbit and scanners galore to prevent an attack from being carried out so easily? All of the resources at their disposal, and the Empire was relying on "hiding in plain sight"?

Well hell, now that I'm writing this, I realize the U-Wing never should have made it as far as it did either!

One of those things that struck me as odd, that I wish would have been explained away with some remarks about Imperial logistics or something.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  21. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    The implication is that the rocky spires on the planet make it hard to detect incoming ships. As for why the rebel ships aren't immediately detected in space above the planet, it's not a stretch to argue that seeing as these are military ships they may be equipped to evade detection systems in some way, at long distances anyway. Ultimately the facility is just an obscure refinery that the rebels would have had no idea was significant if not for insider information. As a point of comparison, when the US government wants to move nuclear materials or weapons (which are far more dangerous/sensitive to us than this refinery likely is to the Imperials) does it flood the streets with police and army vehicles to protect them? Nope. Instead they are discretely transported in plain-looking 18-wheelers. And it's not like the facility wasn't defended, it's just that the size and speed of the rebel attack caught them flat-footed. Which I don't think is unbelievable -- Imperials aren't exactly known for their competence in the first place.

Sarge and Lt. Hija like this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's also possible that the thunderstorm on Eadu interfered with the sensors emplaced on the planet's surface. And going along with Torib's suggestion, the Imps may have decided to forgo orbital sensor platforms in the interest of keeping a low profile.

Torib and Lt. Hija like this.
  23. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

...and they didn't have any of these to defend themselves (as apparently all the others went straight to the Death Star, instead)

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There were turrets like that on Eadu. I don't know if they're identical or only similar, but they did shoot down rebel fighters. Chirrut shot down a TIE that crashed into one of the emplacements.

whostheBossk and draw73 like this.
  25. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ^ I only noticed the gun turret with only one barrel (but possibly necessary to keep the low profile of the installation intact).