main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Vehicles/Tech in the Han Solo Movie

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by DaddlerTheDalek, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    I was instantly enamoured with the Cloud Raiders' speeder bikes. Stylish, cool and beautifully used on screen (personally I wouldn't use the delicate front spoilers to mow people down though....) Pity I can't find any images because I can feel a MOC coming on.

As for the Falcon, I always assumed the mandibles were where she would connect with larger cargoes as a tug, hence the cockpit being offset to oneside.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Skydoll and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  2. Jabberwock2137

Mar 16, 2013
    Time for a pan-galactic gargle blaster I believe.........

Sarge and Siphonophore like this.
  3. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    That specialized star destroyer with the big satellite dishes never appeared in the movie? I think you could barely see it in the propaganda “join the empire” video but I couldn’t tell

AV-6R7 and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Dumping the pod was such a minor plot point in the movie for what was such a visible difference to the Falcon that it had caused much discussion between fans on what it could be used for in the movie. Huge anti climax. I don't even remember actually seeing it detach, only hearing Han say that he was doing so.

Yeah that is still what the mandibles are designed for. The escape craft was a modification Lando had made.

TOASTEROVEN and Count Yubnub like this.
  5. Jabberwock2137

Mar 16, 2013

6. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    Did the Arrestor Cruiser turn up in the movie? I’ve seen it twice, but I didn’t spot it anywhere. Entirely possible I just missed it.

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    It is shown very quickly during the Imp recruitment vid. It is at an angle that makes it hard to recognize

Rodie and Skydoll like this.
  8. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    Thanks. I’ll look out for it next viewing.

Kind of a shame it didn’t make it into more of a “starring role.” I like that weird design.

vncredleader likes this.
  9. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I wonder if Lando lost any capes when the escape pod was jettisoned into the maw. I mean.... he must've had some capes packed away in the pod in the event of ditching the Falcon and then needing a change of wardrobe, right?

10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I think that was Lucas' original plan for the MF's mandibles, correct? I'd still like to see this someday. Has this ever been portrayed before in the legends EU?

11. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Whilst I have enjoyed the new droids across the Anthology movies I miss that there hasn't been an abundance of Astromech droids as we are familiar with in the OT time period.

Would have been nice to have a few in the backgrounds and stuff still.

12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    There were some Astromechs in the mine on Kessel.

MS1 likes this.
  13. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I consider the concept artwork of the YT-1300 freight pusher by Jeff Carlisle to be canon.
    The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  14. Jabberwock2137

Mar 16, 2013
    Still think he should have gone for the YT-1800 or 2 litre GT. They've both got bags more poke at mid-range.......; ]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  15. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Feel free to disagree, but that's on you, IMO. I didn't expect to figure that largely. From the outset, it was clear that it was mostly just about establishing Lando's character. He customized the Falcon to the nines...... why does every expect every small detail to lead to some huge deal? I mean "huge anti-climax" is rather an over-reaction, IMO.

Sarge likes this.
  16. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I enjoyed all the designs for the vehicles and also thought the escape pod jettison scene was a little disappointing as I was expecting it to contain Imperial material to avoid being uncovered by Imperials/bounty hunters.
    The new Tie fighters were great, the cargo ship controlled by Rio was cool. Loved the Falcon of course. The cruiser of Concord dawn was unique.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  17. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    For reference they are called Skyblade-330’s
    [​IMG]

whostheBossk and Jabberwock2137 like this.
  18. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Did anyone comment already on the DSI interior design motif in the Dryden yacht foyer? Horizontal rounded bars, then some vertical rounded bars, fully covering some portion of wall? Was there a subtle or not so subtle statement or commentary on those who operate out of towers? Or was it just a variation of seagoing vessel that happened to be vertical and tantamount to a skyscraper? Loved it.

This had a TIE variant that TFA should have had the bravery to submit as part of its portfolio.

The transport was well integrated into the cockpit aesthetic of AT-AT walkers. I had to raise my eyebrows at the presence of OSHA-approved handrails. That is a clear violation of bottom line in the Budget Office, because manpower is cheap and inexhaustible. It also invites Harry Potter and Professor Lupin reminiscing and lallygagging on Hogwarts bridge, which is all on company time.

Happier with the design of these speeder bikes than the ones (swoop bikes) seen in the background of ANH:SE. These are foremost designed for results, not distinctive appearance.

Jabberwock2137 likes this.
  19. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I hope the full Imperial Recruitment Video is included as a bonus on the Solo blu-ray.

vncredleader likes this.
  20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    That looks pretty cool. So, the cargo of a YT-1300 freighter can just be put onto one of those trains on the way to its local destination (and vice versa), just like these things work on earth. Neat.

Jabberwock2137 likes this.
  21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    In Pablo's Visual Guide, there is a cut-a-way of the Lando era Falcon as seen in the movie, the closet where Lando stores his wardrobe of capes is no where near the front detach section.

Moreover, surprised few point it out, Krennic used a cape in Rogue One, so Lando is far from alone as far cape fashion.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  22. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    This now pops out in a way that kind of makes it obvious that the makers of SOLO:ASWS did do their homework with respect to how pre-Disney, EU writers and artists and others already worked out certain problems. They even stole an idea that worked and expanded its application to produce a train heist.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  23. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Pablo's guide does not show the contents of the detachable pod, though. There could be emergency capes packed away.

vncredleader and Sarge like this.
  24. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I have so many ideas for what the pod could have been used for in the movie.

whostheBossk and vncredleader like this.
  25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I read somewhere, I thought in this thread but can't find it, that it's odd the AT-ST transport ship has a hyperdrive. How about it also has a shower? Does that seem odd? Would a transport plane have showers?