main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Technology in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    http://www.starwars7news.com

In the new Animated series to bridge the gap between Episode 6 & Episode 7 :D .

MODified - Edited the title to give a broad discussion of all vehicles & technology a home.

Dra--- and Vastor like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Normal style TIE-Fighters hint at the time between Ep III and IV, not VI and VII as the Empire mostly used more developed models like TIE-Defenders in ROTJ.

3. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah i saw that on Twitter. He would not post that if it was some random drawing. Filoni is awesome thanks man ! And i really hope it's a show to bridge the gap between VI-VII.

InterestingLurker and Dra--- like this.
  4. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I'm pretty sure that the humble Tie Fighter was still the reliable stalwart of the Imperial Fleet at the time of RotJ.

I certainly don't remember them handing Tie Defenders out to all and sundry when I flew missions in the computer game 'Tie Fighter'.

5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    If I were to hint at the timeframe between VI and VII I'd still use a newer model, like a TIE-Defender and not an old and outdated one like a TIE-Fighter.

6. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Remember, only the elite and select few pilots flew Defenders and other high-class models. TIE Fighters were still common for those newbie and noobie pilots.

And let's not even mention the King Hell God Emperor Starfighter of Death.

I still have my doubts on this leading to a new series. Maybe Dave just wanted to show off his stuff.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    That image looks more like a Force Unleashed sort of picture. That story was set between III & IV

KevinM1 likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, if this new series takes place after RotJ, the Empire has been defeated - therefore what the imperial remnant (if there is one) would use is probably whatever they had in stock - like regular TIE fighters. Also, Filoni states in his tweet
    Note "gotten to draw a TIE fighter" - this isn't just him showing off his work, I'm sure he's drawn TIE fighters on his spare time before. This is clearly something he is working on.

9. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I'm pretty sure most of the people who are working on the movies are A) not going to use much of the material from the video games and B) have no idea what a TIE Defender is.

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't remember any TIE Defenders in ROTJ .

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, I confused the model with another one. My bad.

12. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    And to the EU's credit, they explained why there weren't any in ROTJ. Making the TIE Defender was apparently freaking expensive by starfighter standards. Plus that whole debacle with Zaarin put the kibosh on TIE Defenders gaining an immediate wide usage.

Ryus likes this.
  13. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    And this conversation proves why the EU will be cherry picked from for the new movies.

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I know nothing about all that.

What I meant before were TIE interceptors. If I were to hint at a series between ROTJ and Ep VII, I'd put a drawing of one of those on the internet, not a classical TIE-Fighter.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope we see a Tie-Fighter in a new series post ROTJ and in the ST.
    I think you guys are thinking of the TIE/IN interceptor.

16. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    wings are a little small. its like a Tie-midget

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It looks as if it is in the midst of being constructed. Those aren't the wings, but the exact size & shape of the wing mounts. If you ever had to glue your TIE Fighter wings back on (circa 1977-80...) you will recognize that exact shape. I spent a lot of time with those stupid mounts. That whole "exploding" feature was fantastic until you learned, bitterly, that your toy literally exploded once the pop-out wings hit a surface.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  18. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    [face_thinking]hmmmmmmm.....

19. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Looks like Starkiller on the bridge there... Are we going to get him as an actual character in the animated show now?

If this really is a VI - VII gap bridger series, I hope they have the Thrawn campaign in it.

20. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    You are looking at concept art for TFU. Yes that is Starkiller.

This thread is about THIS drawing by Dave Filoni.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The main pic on the bridge with Starkiller is from the game or supporting art, I think. The only new thing in this article is the black and white drawing Filoni tweeted, apparently.

Edit: TheBBP beat me to it.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    A post ROTJ series is what I would like to see the most. There's just so much ground for potential storylines to cover and it could help to build up the anticipation for the ST to focus on this era.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Though it also said that there was at least one Defender squadron at Endor- probably "offscreen" and not noticed amongst the hundreds of TIE figher & interceptor squadrons.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well I guess this would be interesting.

25. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Doh! I had a brain fart there I think.

I see the drawing now.

Well, it's interesting, but doesn't really give us much to go on. It could be a Palpatinian Empire era (RoTS - RotJ era) show or it could be a post - RoTJ show in the first decade or so after the fall of Palpatine.

If it's the latter, I'd dearly hope for some good Thrawn stuff... maybe not a full adaption, but a couple of four-parter arcs would be nice. Assuming this animated show follows the 20 - minute episode format of TCW.

I understand there are some here who are probably hoping and praying that it doesn't involve Thrawn at all, (or even, specifically retcons him by presenting events and characters and scenarios that make the events of the TT impossible) but that's just a matter of personal opinion. As SW EU characters go, the Grand Admiral is one of the better ones in my opinion, one of my personal liked characters, and one I'd really hate to see get scrubbed from the canon line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.