main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Versus (in which I try to jump-start my SW fanfic gland)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lazy K, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Title: Versus
    Author: Lazy K
    Timeframe: saga
    Characters: various
    Genre: various
    Keywords:
    Summary: Various confrontations of various natures between various characters with various outcomes.
    Notes: Based extremely loosely on the Versus Game over in SW Community.

V E R S U S
    * Gosh, these BB codes are neat.

Count Dooku vs Mace Windu

It was a game so old it had no name. Several coins, tiles, or other small objects were placed between the players, who then attempted to push them away using the Force. The first to get all of them into the other's side won. The only other rule was that the objects had to stay between the two players. Pushing it behind the other player - or, in this case, off the table - was an automatic defeat.

Dooku sat across the table from Mace Windu, his mind focused on the five coins placed between them. He was unaware that a small crowd had gathered to watch. Both players had their hands palm-down on the table, thus denying themselves the illusion of enhancing their pushing abilities with physical gestures. Still, Windu's spread fingers were very slightly arched like a man attempting to gain purchase on a sheer rock wall. Dooku's fingers were closed together, but they were also white with strain.

Presently, Windu was ahead with three, and slowly but steadily nudging a fourth out of the neutral zone in the middle. It wasn't about being strong in the Force. All things considered, the two were probably equals in that regard. But Windu had the talent of knowing when his opponent would ease the pressure, and used that moment to push just a bit harder.

Dooku's right thumb twitched against the table. A moment later, the half-credit coin closest to it jerked into Windu's side. A low murmur went up from the crowd, for it was obvious Dooku had attempted - successfully! - a very risky move. A slight misjudgement in power, and the coin might have went out of bounds.

But this small victory, if indeed it was one, was not without a price. Because in that moment of attack, Windu had pushed the fourth coin deep into Dooku's territory. The tally hadn't changed, but it was clear that Windu had the upper hand.

For the first time in what might have been ages, Dooku let his gaze rise to meet Windu's. Then he grinned savagely as he loosed his final attack.

Only those who were sensitive to the Force would have noticed that Dooku was pushing the three coins that were closer to him. To one who was not, it would only appear that both Jedi Masters suddenly seemed more intense than they had been. But he might have noticed the coins trembling in place and concluded that a battle of wills was taking place.

And then he would have seen one coin speed across the table, past Dooku, and down to the floor.

Dooku smiled. "Well played, Master Windu. Well played indeed." But not well enough, he did not need to say.

Next: Jabba the Hutt vs Pizza the Hut

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Good piece. Most original.

Is it inspired by air hockey?

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Very cool idea!
    I really like how you described the game, I could really see this entire thing in my mind.

I look forward to more of this!
    (Jabba vs Pizza the Hutt... LOL! Yep looking forward to it all right!)

4. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Sith-I-5- 'Fraid not. It's just the "get the thingy to the other side" that's common to quite a lot of sports.

mavjade - I hope I don't disappoint, then. [face_slightly_worried]

And as always, thanks for reading, everyone! :)

Jabba the Hutt vs Pizza the Hutt
    When Jabba the Hutt invites you to a business lunch, it pays to be wary. This goes double for someone whose physiology contains cheese, tomato sauce, and generous amounts of pepperoni.

However, Pizza the Hutt - no relation whatsoever - felt only his usual apprehension for his first-time meeting with a potential ally who could easily be a potential enemy as well. Most crime lords were businessmen, after all, and attacking indiscriminately was bad for business.

He let himself be ushered into a room that was obviously made to impress. At its center was an enormous table that actually bent under the weight of the food. And beyond it, looking like the peak of an edible mountain, was Jabba the Hutt, the de facto ruler of Tatooine and neighboring sectors.

He was also the only one likely to enjoy the meal.

Adding to his total lack of table manners was the fact that virtually every dish on the table was alive, or had been alive until very recently. As Pizza watched, a small frog-like creature clawed its way out of the soup and made a desperate attempt at escape, only to be caught and swallowed whole. He could swear he could still hear the squealings as it went down Jabba's gullet. A man could easily lose his appetite, and possibly the contents of his previous meal, just by watching the crimelord eat.

But Pizza the Hutt was made of sterner stuff. Perhaps a lifetime of watching humanoids eat things that resembled him in no small way - and, at times, letting them eat pieces of himself - had left him numb to such things. Anyway, he knew scare tactics when he saw them.

"Sit, sit," Jabba roared in his own language. "A proper Hutt you are not, but I will not allow anyone who shares our noble name to be so . . . small."

Pizza took his place at the table and peered cautiously at the salad. It stared back with eyes on stalks with what might have been an expression of fatalistic resignation. He ate it anyway and found it surprisingly good.

The meal progressed as he had expected, with Jabba doing most of the talking - boasting and threatening, mainly - and Pizza making polite, and not so polite, noises. Servants were yelled at for minor mistakes, and in the case of one Devaronian was sent away to be "disciplined". Pizza merely wondered if all this was staged although, if so, the terrified man had definitely missed a career in acting.

It came as no surprise that no actual business was being discussed. But this, too, was expected. They were merely sizing each other up, each trying to establish that he was on top. Pizza wished he had brought Vinnie along. There were definitely limits to what a man could do alone.

Jabba clapped his meaty hands, calling for the main dish. The table, still laden with food despite their best efforts, was carried out with a forklift. A new table quickly replaced the old, and Pizza noted with mild amusement that the main course was already on it, a silver dome covering a silver plate and god only knew what else.

Then the cover was removed and Pizza found himself staring into the terrified eyes of the Devaronian who must have been cooked alive after being dragged away.

When he finally managed to take his eyes off the corpse, he found Jabba observing him dispassionately and knew that he had lost the first round.

Next: Padme vs Leia

5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I doubt there would be many guests that would proceed beyond the first round.

Imaginative expansion on what little we see of Jabba's diet in ROTJ. I was expecting this to be a trap.

Perfectly written story; no causes for concern.

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That would be quite the intimidating meal! EEP!

But Pizza the Hutt was made of sterner stuff. Perhaps a lifetime of watching humanoids eat things that resembled him in no small way - and, at times, letting them eat pieces of himself- had left him numb to such things.
    [face_laugh] It must be quite hard to be a pizza!

Great update! I really enjoyed it!! :D